How do I make my poker more profitable?

flint

flint

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Having played about 20k hands of 10nl before, I think that nl10 seems to be more profitable as the players are more predctable and more loose. However, I will stick at the nl5 games until I can get my BR up.

I am definately not super confident about my cash game as it is so much weaker than my tournament play. I expect most of my winnings this year to come from tournaments, but I would love to learn to be a more profitable cash game player also. Mainly because I am moving to Macau for 6 months and would love to be able to make some money at the cash tables.

As to depositing, I won't do it unless I know that I can attain a certain ROI. Last time I deposited knowing that I could atleast maintain an ROI of 20-30% (I had a bonus).

Last edited:
Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Having played about 20k hands of 10nl before, I think that nl10 seems to be more profitable as the players are more predctable and more loose.

Is this not a contradiction how can people be more predictable and more loose :confused:

flint

flint

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is this not a contradiction how can people be more predictable and more loose :confused:

What is the contradiction? I think the best example is from $25PLO where the players are really loose, but also very easy to read.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the contradiction? I think the best example is from $25PLO where the players are really loose, but also very easy to read.

If a player is loose it would mean they play lots more starting hands, so therfore it will follow they are harded to read.

If they always put in a continuation bet although you know they are going to do it it is hard to decide what to do next - it will be based on your holding, not theirs, so therefore harder to read.

This is just my opinion.

I also feel, btw, that a `harder to read` player in a way is easier to play against because your decision making is so much easier - if u have a hand, bet, if not, fold ?

flint

flint

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If a player is loose it would mean they play lots more starting hands, so therfore it will follow they are harded to read.

Maybe, but the only definition for loose is not playing many hands. Many players also call down too losely.

If they always put in a continuation bet although you know they are going to do it it is hard to decide what to do next - it will be based on your holding, not theirs, so therefore harder to read.

That is if the continuation bet is always approx. the same size. I find that many players give some info away by the amount they bet.

I also feel, btw, that a `harder to read` player in a way is easier to play against because your decision making is so much easier - if u have a hand, bet, if not, fold ?

Isn't this a contradiction?:) If you know what they have of course it is easier to play against them.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Isn't this a contradiction?:) If you know what they have of course it is easier to play against them.

Not really, because your decision making is going to be based in the main, on what you are holding. There is no point in trying to 2nd guess someone that is prepared to push with anything.

All u can do is sit and wait, so therefore it is easier because some of the hands you might play in a normal pot u will probably fold if u r acting before the maniac. I would suggest if u r up against one of these players, only limp with a hand u would be happy calling a reraise with.

e.g. u r delt 66 - nice hand to normally limp with. U might wanna throw that in the muck with a maniac to act after you.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am also considering playing omaha after I get my bakroll in shape, since it is one of the most profitable cash games I have ever seen.

It can be. However, the swings are larger and so it really is important to have a substantial bankroll.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It can be. However, the swings are larger and so it really is important to have a substantial bankroll.

Hi Egon.

I`m playing a lot of Omaha hi lo PL ring and MTT.

It`s interesting you say what you say.

Would you say it has more potential swings than NLHE???

I`m interested to know because I have had 3 winning months in a row now, a mix of good MTT cashes and ring game wins, but this month I`m having one of those `if it can go wrong it will do` months :mad:

U know the kind, u start with Ac2c3hKh, flop Ad2d9s, etc, etc :eek:
Or there is the old Ah2dKcQc, flop AA4 turn 7 river 5 u have been betting like a hero and are left calling the river when the other guy turns 23 :eek:

(Thats my bad beat rant over :D )

So what do you think?

flint

flint

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ronald I am not sure that I am on the same page with you with looking at the players. I just think that I still need some adjustment to the tightness of NL5 as compared to NL10. Also as I played a few short sessions of NL10 last week I think that many of my reads there might just be because of my familiriaty with the game at the level.

Would you say it has more potential swings than NLHE???

For sure. At the beginning of the year I was playing 25PL Omaha HI/LO with a $100 BR that turned into $200 quickly. Then I caught a very bad streak that eventually made me change to HI only after I lost the $100. Eventually I went broke playing too expensive MTTs and trying to keep the ship floating with Omaha.

You haven't seen a swing before you see your high hand cracked by the other guy catching trips to his low hand on the river three times :D

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Definitely look into proper BRM plan. Thats the first thing you should focus on because that is what'll hurt you the most.

PokerStars' .10, .25, and .50 MTTs. They're such a small percentage of BR, but have extremely good pay-outs. I made $20 on a .10 MTT FT, so thats a big boost with virtually no cost to you.
I totally agree with this ^^^^^^^^^^^.
Just get through the first hour of these uber cheap MTT then wait for the good hands and you should cash, lots of loose ppl there.

flint said:
You haven't seen a swing before you see your high hand cracked by the other guy catching trips to his low hand on the river three times
I had that happen 5 days in a row, busted me completely.

Last edited:
B

bustme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh no!!!

He has a $50 bankroll - 10NL what? If you look around u won`t find anyone that suggests putting up 20% of your bankroll in one game of any kind of poker.

You need to clarify this bustme, because all of the other posters have given good advice.

Also So the higher the limits you play the easier poker gets:confused:

50 dollar is to little. But if he is a good payer ( who I think he is) he will possibly make it up to 100 dollar ( it was at 100 dollar I started playing 10NL )

And from there on I think he is pretty safe if he is good. Because the 10NL level is the worst level( the level I have had the highest earnings in BB/ 100 hand, and I have played any level up to NL 100) I now about in cash game.

But if anyone wants to be safe,they should have 20 buyins ....

Personally I dont feel 100% safe if I dont have over 50 buyins..