How to control anxiety?

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone experiences anxiety, but some deal with it in varying degrees and with different success. The anxiety I felt walking into the wsop in 2019 was different than the anxiety I felt going on a first date or visiting my dentist or writing exams in school. If the amount of anxiety is more like an adrenaline rush of excitement, then you will eventually settle down and have fun. If anxiety prevents you from doing things in your everyday life, consult your doctor to get some help...it's not a big deal unless you make it a big deal.

Jim Rivas

Jim Rivas

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is very difficult to control anxiety. does anyone have any tips to give me
I don't know, friend, to what degree is your anxiety, the first thing would be to go to a good therapist to help you channel your emotions and make you feel better. I imagine that with this pandemic, your anxiety has increased. Well, I recommend you leave the house to distract yourself, do exercises, keep your head busy doing something new and get out of the routine. I hope I have helped you a bit with these tips, they have worked for me. Good luck and health!:elefant:Excercises!

iugiug

iugiug

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good question, My anxiety gets up there in certain poker situations. For example at final tables or in 3bet pots. The last few months I've been exercising, this helps me. However, I really believe in exposure therapy. The more you put yourself in these stressful situations in poker the more easier they become to deal with.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Practice and experience helps a lot too. You will probably become less anxious the more you play. Regs and pros don't always play with nerves of steel; it is just that they have played a ton more, so the "normal" stuff doesn't impact them as much, they've experienced it before.

I recommend practicing and getting more experience. Realize that most players are just as nervous and anxious as you are!

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're talking about anxiety related to the game I would say the best ways to control is to have other hobbies other than poker to keep your mind occupied when you're not playing. Also, have a routine of physical exercises and meditation are good for your mental health.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Meditation helps me. I meditate twice a day and always stay calm and focused. Try it, I'm sure meditation will help you take control of your negative feelings.

MauroMMMM

MauroMMMM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Controlling anxiety and being patient are two fundamental facets that you must have to play poker. It is my opinion. What I do when I start to lose patience and I notice that my anxiety increases, I leave the table for a while and do other things. Then I come back calmer and try to continue playing without losing my cool. Regards!!

T

TetraTap

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do pushups or squats till you're body is physically tired! Then your energy won't go to focusing on the anxiety but rather the tiredness your body feels! If the anxiety hasn't gone, you simply haven't done enough!

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
In my opinion it is very important to have a proper bankroll management to keep your anxiety and nervosity low. Nevertheless, some tension in your game can be vital. Especially, when you are playing a long tournament. This will keep you awake.
But if you have problems with anxiety in general in your life, it could make really sense to visit a therapist about this. There are several methods to keep the anxiety or even panics down, like just to take a deep breath during the day again and again.
Observing how high is your stress level at the moment and trying to reduce this by focusing on the breath. You can condition yourself about this by exercising this.
The simple fact is, that you can't feel anxiety or panics, when you are relaxed.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recommend meditation. You can find all sorts of free material on how to go about it. A daily meditation will do wonders for you. Try methods that use breathing like simply paying attention to and focusing only on your breaths. I suggest this because you can use the breathing techniques while you are doing anything else such as playing poker. Meditation lowers stress and helps you approach things in life with a calm, centred, focus.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This :)

DISCLIAMER:
Also, I do not recommend you take any supplements without talking to your doctor ,because if you take other medications you need to see how they interact etc...

But I myself have had tremendous results with Ashwagandha (scroll to 6:50)

Last edited:
R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
t really is very difficult to control anxiety, especially for those who are starting the game. But I think it comes with studying and practicing because after you feel confident to play, your anxiety seems to decrease, at least with me it was like that.

Y

yanslad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My recommendation goes always to the practice of any physical sport (not mind sport) go for a run, play some soccer, volleyball, basketball... Anything that makes you forget about any concern you may have!
Maybe try some meditation as well, I've had great experiences with it