How to calculate equity?

M

MarussiNN

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi ! I have a question about calculating the equity of the hand. My friend and I have recently started playing poker. He believes that when calculating equity, we should take into account that some of our outs may be blocked in the hands of other players. Thus, we have not 9 but about 7-8 outs per flush. Is that true?

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
in theory is truth, but sites and softwares who calculate equity don't take into account if some of your outs are blocked or not.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in theory is truth, but sites and softwares who calculate equity don't take into account if some of your outs are blocked or not.
EDU1: Programs like flopzilla and equilab do allow you to include "dead cards" in the calculation so that you can see the difference between your equity with and without the blocker.

MARUSSI: Be careful using terms equity and outs as synonyms. they are not the same thing. "Equity" is the probability to win the hand at showdown. "Outs" are used to calculate the probability of hitting specific cards on the turn or river. Two similar but very different terms. Equilab is a great free tool for calculating equity.

Good Luck and God Bless

M

MarussiNN

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
But I can't see dead cards! Then how do I use the Flopzilla? Should I guess about them? And what to do during the game? Should I just mentally remove 1-2 outs?

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi ! I have a question about calculating the equity of the hand. My friend and I have recently started playing poker. He believes that when calculating equity, we should take into account that some of our outs may be blocked in the hands of other players. Thus, we have not 9 but about 7-8 outs per flush. Is that true?
If you have four to flush draw, then you have 9 outs. How many times have you played to the river to see a fourth suited card on the board, and nobody had that suit in the showdown? I've pulled in many pots with a bluff at that point. You can't assume anything. If you have two over cards that you think might win if you hit, with the flush draw, then you have 15 outs and you're a favorite to win the hand. If you have an outside straight draw, then you have 8 outs. If you have a flush draw, a straight draw, and two over cards then you have 23 outs and are considered a huge favorite to win, though it seems I seldom do in this circumstance. That's the most outs you can ever have in hold'em.