How best to learn poker from books, videos, or with a coach ?

filippfilm

filippfilm

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I have long been interested in this question what is more effective when teaching poker? Write your vision with specific examples of how you learn yourself ?:deal:

J

jeffman123

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice is to learn from as many different sources as possible. Youtube, coaching sites, books, solvers, neural nets, your own brain when analyzing your past hands. If something's the same everywhere, it's probably correct. If sources differ on certain topics, note the differences. You'll still be better off than if you were to learn from just one, imperfect source.

filippfilm

filippfilm

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice is to learn from as many different sources as possible. Youtube, coaching sites, books, solvers, neural nets, your own brain when analyzing your past hands. If something's the same everywhere, it's probably correct. If sources differ on certain topics, note the differences. You'll still be better off than if you were to learn from just one, imperfect source.

Thanks ! This is a very good answer ! The differences and comparisons of the material, this is definitely something that I should pay attention to and it is logical . I'll take your advice !:deal:

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, the video will be much better and clearer. For books, this game is much more unpredictable. Well, as for a coach, you still need to look for an intelligent person.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The most effective way is to learn from your mistakes. Each time, we need to analyze our own game and draw conclusions. Our mistakes allow us to improve our skills and improve our game.

filippfilm

filippfilm

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, the video will be much better and clearer. For books, this game is much more unpredictable. Well, as for a coach, you still need to look for an intelligent person.

I agree that not everyone can afford a good coach

filippfilm

filippfilm

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The most effective way is to learn from your mistakes. Each time, we need to analyze our own game and draw conclusions. Our mistakes allow us to improve our skills and improve our game.
  • This is my Achilles ' heel I read a lot of books , but I don't always understand my game or session . You need to make adjustments and spend more time analyzing your game . Thank you for your advice !

LadderingUp

LadderingUp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO a mixture of all of it. Different methods for different styles and strats. I like having someone at least to study with and bounce things back and forth

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
All good. I went for books, sometimes videos (rare), now I play, play....and play.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Whether online or real-time, a Coach is the strongest way to go. Along with that comes the other two.

S

slais_pro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, it is best to do debriefing with a trainer, this will be the most beneficial.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

I have long been interested in this question what is more effective when teaching poker? Write your vision with specific examples of how you learn yourself ?:deal:

Hello.
The best option is to become a member of the CardsChat community, take our free course, and build a bankroll by playing in our daily freerolls.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the option of watching videos more in these times since poker has evolved so much, after you have a little more experience you can opt for personal training and look for a coach to help you improve your game in the modality that you leave. to dedicate.

Jason Bralli

Jason Bralli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
in my opinion, videos!

you can study exactly what you need, when you need it and you will have updated and quality content at all times!

the game is dynamic and always changing, the book cannot keep up with these changes, books are good for you to know the basis and history.

Couch, I never tried it, but I have my doubts about it, but this could be a topic for a new topic.

GL :p

S

StreetPhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

All of the above that you mentioned.
Watching TV can sometimes be a little than perfect unless you are learning here as they are typically final tables.
Study how to get to a final table/in the money before you are brainwashed and think that because you saw it on TV a similar play might work in the first stage of a tournament.

filippfilm

filippfilm

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello.
The best option is to become a member of the CardsChat community, take our free course, and build a bankroll by playing in our daily freerolls.

Thanks ! Good answer:)

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think the most effective way to learn is with an experienced coach !!! He will share his experience with you, and you will share your money with him))) Otherwise, you will have to accumulate experience yourself and learn from your own mistakes, which will be much longer !!!

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
in my personal experience .... it has been better for me .... watching tutorial videos and Lex valhuz streamers .... that helped me a lot to understand and improve my poker game ...!

A

auslender72

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
l think coach. he will said to you thinks that you dont want to admit to yourselfs

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It really depends on the person who is learning. You can learn from all and there are in my opinion some being better than others but you can become a great player from any way you want to learn the game. Some people are better book learning while others want to see whats going on in a video where others want to be taught from a coach. No matter what way you go you need to pick the best one that is good and fits your game. A great coach that plays a style you dont like maybe just as bad as picking a bad coach.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like having someone at least to study with and bounce things back and forth

This is VERY underrated. It's one thing to self-analyze your play, but no matter how much you dissect it, the value of having someone else critique your play, and tell you what you do well and where you can improve, there is SO much good that comes from it. If you have a group of people, that's even better because the game can be looked at from so many different angles.

All good. I went for books, sometimes videos (rare), now I play, play....and play.

I've heard people say that they just get so caught up on all the information that is out there, and trying to absorb it all, and it actually hurts their game. Fundamentally, you cannot go wrong with playing. As others have said, if you're learning from mistakes you're making, you'll be better when you play your next session. There's absolutely a TON of value from all the information that's out there, but don't get too obsessed with consuming it all.

Whether online or real-time, a Coach is the strongest way to go. Along with that comes the other two.

Utilizing a coach should only occur if you're looking to make a living off playing, as this will be the most expensive option for you.

For a formal course, this would be the way to go. If you do not have a lot of money to spend on coaching (be it an individual or through a site), I would go with this suggestion.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The best way, in my opinion, is reviewing hands.

WickedFRoST

WickedFRoST

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's a very interesting question, and I think there could barely be one correct answer, so here is my personal view on this.

I used to think that you should use as many sources of information in order to improve your game. I tried to read as many poker books as possible, surfed through various forums to find as much information as possible, reviewed a ton of my hands as well as hands of my friends and even random people in the internet, watched countless hours of videos on youtube etc.

And actually, I have no regrets about it, as all that effort actually helped me to improve my game quite a bit. However, it took way to much time, and looking at it now, I can surely say that my learning process was far from efficient.

Today, poker (at least no limit holdem) is pretty much solved, which means that you should make the learning process as efficient as possible, otherwise you won't get any edge.

So, I think that today, you should focus on learning the basic fundamentals as quickly as possible, and then, when you have a decent base, you should get coaching from top players. This is by far the most efficient way to learn the game now. It is however, the most expensive one. It is what it is. But time is your biggest asset, so if you are serious about starting a poker career, then it's probably worth it.

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I have realized is that many top pros have not actually studied a lot, they have just played. For example, one of the best poker players Patrik Antonius has said he has never read even a single poker book.

What is the best studying method? There is no clear answer, you should find your own favorite learning style. For me, coaching videos are bad, hard to focus on. I like to play with a poker simulator (pokersnowie for example). I like books as well. I used to add entire books to Anki (flashcard App) and just browse these cards while laying on the couch.

Here is a learning pyramid about the most effective studying methods. As you see, teaching others (Feynman technique) is the most powerful way to learn anything:
Learnin-Pyramid-740x642.png

My advice is to find a book (or course) that teaches the fundamentals. Then master these fundamentals 100% and play as much as possible. By playing you can fix 90% of your leaks. There is no need to buy expensive courses or training site subscriptions. Actually, studying too much will hurt your winrate. Personally, if I study a lot, it will make me nervous because I am too worried about making mistakes, and I will do some decisions differently than I will normally do, and usually "theoretically right" decisions have been wrong.

In a nutshell -> go to play and pay your dues.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

This is a video I made a few years back on the best ways to learn Poker, I think all of still applies today with the addition that we now have live streams we can watch to learn how pros play their hands, and that we now have solver tools which we can consult as sort of an 'answer guide' to verify after our session if we made the best play

In the past we had to take our pokertracker hands and ask friends 'what do you think' to get multiple opinions. Now... even if we don't have friends we can run a solver first or consult a solver database like http://rangetrainer.com first to get instant feedback (and from there we can then check with friends for more perspectives).

I also made this video on how to be the best player you can be which has a lot of off the table stuff that leads to better performance. I think that when you combine this approach of being in your best state with using the most efficient study methods leads to learning the game as quickly as possible and at a high level!