How to become the disciplined poker player?

D

Daulet

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi friends I need your council. I well play poker. but I have a problem with discipline. I cannot keep the prize. When I tiltovat all the money I will lose. In respect of a game Im fine. it is necessary to work on game discipline and bankroll management. Friends please advise!

LJG23

LJG23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say a lot of new players run into this issue. They play well enough to win a few dollars, be it in freerolls or micro stakes then immediately try to play something they are not bankrolled for, take a bad beat, next thing you know you're chasing that loss and are broke..

First piece of advise...slow down. Take pride in the money you win. Let it sit there and grow. Play as many freerolls as you can to increase volume to get experience and to help build your bankroll till your ready to play for a little more money.

Take some time to study your play, find and fix weak spots in your game. This will speed up the process of making more money!

Just don't be so eager to buy into a five dollar game just because you binked a CC freeroll game the night before.

Hi friends I need your council. I well play poker. but I have a problem with discipline. I cannot keep the prize. When I tiltovat all the money I will lose. In respect of a game Im fine. it is necessary to work on game discipline and bankroll management. Friends please advise!

mendax996

mendax996

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When I lost i has this feelling "Oh, i lost so i must play bigger games , that way i will recover the money i lost" and that way I broke a fell times. You have to accept the truth, you don't gonna win money fast and if you go beyond your capacities you gonna lose everything.

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I still trying, my advice are to don't play many tables, choice a time to study and review yours games, think in poker like a investment and read good books.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can set yourself a limit of errors, go over it - finish the game day, no matter how good or bad it is. And put a filter in the game display so that only games that match your bankroll are displayed.:)

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No alcohol, this is when my discipline usually goes off.

G

gichka97

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Best advice is to control your bankroll. You should play tournaments to feel comfortable. What I mean - e.x if you have 100 dollars in the cashier and you play 0,55c MTT or SNG, you will play very comfortable, because you know you have 99,45 in the bank remaining, but if you play 10$ MTT or SNG your plays will be vulnerable, because you know that if you continue register these kind of tournaments you will be dead soon and will play very risky and nervous. The tip is to play tournaments with having at minimum 50 entries. And if you continue to lose,for example, do not rush to play in bigger tournaments to get back your money.:)

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately, I can't help you in this issue of the Council. because I have this problem myself. they win money, but in sprat I can go for high stakes and lose everything under 0. should I read it? necessary poker books have a lot of tips on how to deal with sour? where am I already discerning the moment when I enter this state? I don't have time to stop.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Only patient players can be disciplined. Lack of discipline, by default means lack of patience. If you want to succeed, you must learn to be patient.

Manjerica1

Manjerica1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watch motivational videos sometimes to help me with discipline. It works for some ppl but for other people may not work, try it yourself and see if this is helpfull or not

T

thuliomano

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think with a lot of training and practice, but even so at times that emotion speaks louder

Rico Calde

Rico Calde

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to gain self-control outside of poker in order to have it in poker. Practice is virtue. Patience is key. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chaskyweed05

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, my dear, every game that involves money requires a lot of discipline and self-control. I suggest that you study more on how to manage your banckroll. Good smoke

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm also not the most disciplined poker player, but when I lost and start to thinking in recover my money, I count to 10 and try to keep in mind that in 99% of the times that I do that, I'll ended up losing more money.

mt2lhd

mt2lhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The key is in forgeting about bad beats and bad play of others, Then you should always try to take decisions by logic and think beyond the feelings, That is the very first step for discipline in poker,
regard to my experiences there are a few phrases that if you avoid from them you will be well disciplined:
1. I think this time I will win
2. Let's call and see a flop
3. Let me play a few more hands
and etc..
If you are struggling with such moments on your table and loosing too much then you should look backwards after your sessions or in your break days.

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
hi. I always reserve a percentage of every prize I win. that's how a good bank builds.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
If you want to develop your discipline, you should start with small steps. For example, make at least a minimum plan for the day and try to stick to it. Repeat this action, day after day, and thus develop your self-control and discipline.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Focus on Winning !

You need to care about winning.

If you just want to inflict pain on other players or just have fun and try to win a couple of hands but lose your stack - well that is fine.

But if you really want to win - you need discipline.

In tournaments sometimes I look at the top 5 prizes and picture myself winning one of them. That has meaning for me.

You need to find something that has meaning for you.

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suggest you attempt to be disciplined in other fields of life.
Try to do physical workouts 3 times a week. Or try not to eat later than 7PM. Try some other disciplines and when that works for you - try poker discipline again.

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i wish i could friend. but i dont trust online poker. and maybe i consider poker to be more of a hobby or time waste than anything else. but i think that you should reconsider what you doing. taking some time a ways. reading books, watch some internet videos of professionals playing. see how they react to certain situations. at least that is what i do, and i like a lote, because you se the hands of everyone playing the hand

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
This happens when you earn money easily, if you worked hard for them you would be more careful in spending them!

E

Enimen18

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice is to respect money you've earned. Its very difficult to win, especially consistently. It's much easier to lose your money. Think of your winnings as hard earned and set a limit to the amount you are willing to lose in a day. Once you've reached that limit make sure you stick to it. There is always tomorrow! Maybe calculate your overall winnings as an hourly rate like it's a regular job. Doing that may get you thinking as money you've won as money earned with your valuable time.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If everything is in order with the game discipline, then you just need to study bankroll management and experience in dealing with tilt!

brunonick269

brunonick269

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had this problems with bankroll. Today I still have but a lot less, sometimes when I want to try one better I enter on a MTT of three or four more than I have to play usually. One thing that helped me a lot to keep the mannaging of my bankroll is to know that the money will not came in a few plays, so have no reason to play larger entry. Another thing to know is that if Im not able to win litlle entrys, I will be not able to win vig MTT's.