S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Doug Polk famously correctly folded a flopped bottom straight on the flop versus the nut straight of Phil Helmuth. He was able to do so due to having a good knowledge of Phil's game and also due to some loose speech play from The Brat. :laugh:

He also has a set over set fold

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi! Sometimes the cards play for themselves and there's nothing we can do about it! And getting set to set is just that rare case!

online it is not rare at all :D

and no the reason is not "because you play more hands" ;)

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
This situations will happen if you play a lot of hands- sometimes it will go in your favor and sometimes you will lose, the thing is to be able to deal with it well and acknowledge that this is poker and you can't control the boards and you can only try to play your hand the best way possible... Also, don't even think about making folds with sets on a dry board(or even top two pairs) as you'll overfold hands way too strong and on the long run this will be a -EV play...

Have a great weekend everyone :)

pandafreeroll

pandafreeroll

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your trip 3s in the described situation will be a profitable call most of the time even if your opponent will have the better set every now and again. Only fold if you're in a tourney bubble or close to a relevant price jump.

Last edited:
liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
If you never getting stacked set over set you are doing it wrong

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I don't think you can do much in such situations, you can just keep in mind to keep the pot as small as possible, but my opinion is that it is an all-in situation.

Whompus

Whompus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hey it happens to everybody. But I aint foldin a pair preflop if I'm gettin a good read and a good price. No way.

Skot_Gy

Skot_Gy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
You can get away pre-flop; if there is heavy action at the table you should assume someone has bigger pocket pair than your 3-3.
After the flop, it is hard to fold a set, so sometimes you just suck it up and go further, no tilt.

ScoobyNL

ScoobyNL

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NL
Chips
Set over set i have to fold sometimes because there is a 4 card flush or 4 card straight on the board, so sick but sometimes it is smart to surrender.

B

bj999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
?

I find it hard to fold a set ever. Dry board no way. Set over set is a felted call most of the time

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
seriously ....

is it even possible ? lets say you have 3-3 and the flop comes 3-J-7 rainbow for example . and you face a lot of aggression and think opponent MIGHT have 7-7

you both go all in eventually and he/she really has 7-7 and you are angry to not have folded . but at the same time your set is too strong to fold
Unless on the blind, or small blind when no one has raised before me, I seldom play any pocket pairs less than 7s. It's not fool proof, but it eliminates almost half the bigger sets. I remember the days, before internet poker, when I would lose set after set after set to bigger sets. So, I made playing mostly pockets of 7s or greater one of my self-imposed rules. When I start breaking my rules, that's when I know I'm tired and quit playing at the first opportunity.

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In situations like this there's no escape, like never. It's something that doesn't happen often and you just have to accept it.

heguli82

heguli82

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
This came to my mind. Different situation but there is set over set here also. And fishing gets rewarded :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We are usually not looking to fold, when only 6 combos of hands beat us. But if stacks are very deep, we dont always need to go broke either. For instance we dont always need to put in a 3-bet or 4-bet on a dry flop with bottom set 250BB deep, if we think, our opponent will only stack off with better sets. Its the same concept, that we dont always need to 5-bet KK preflop 250BB deep, if we think, we are only getting action from AA or another KK.

namvidnee

namvidnee

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seriously...

Is this even possible? let's say you have 3-3 and on the flop, for example, a rainbow 3-J-7. and you face a lot of aggression and think your opponent MAY have 7-7

you both go all-in and he/she is actually 7-7 and you're angry you didn't fold your cards. but at the same time your set is too strong to fold
Although the situation is rare, I have been to this many times and it's really a shame

offeron

offeron

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had a similar situation, my set beat the high set, I won a $100 tournament ticket, played MTT and crashed at the beginning, I was a beginner then, it was annoying.