Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
seriously ....

is it even possible ? lets say you have 3-3 and the flop comes 3-J-7 rainbow for example . and you face a lot of aggression and think opponent MIGHT have 7-7

you both go all in eventually and he/she really has 7-7 and you are angry to not have folded . but at the same time your set is too strong to fold

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you get a Big hand,you have to,,Have to,get Max value. :deal: you Can't get away,,, (it mite not be the answer your looking for,,,,but):)

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very very difficult to get away from most of the time the money's going in. In your hypothetical example could he really be over playing AJ if he putting everything in with no draw available unlikely but most of the time you just have to take the hit and move on

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I've lost this way several times in the last week. This is part of the game and you need to understand that this sometimes happens and play further without tilting. I once folded a low set on the flop. It was very similar that the opponent's hand was stronger.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi! Sometimes the cards play for themselves and there's nothing we can do about it! And getting set to set is just that rare case!

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Such situations are quite common. But if I believe that my cards are worth the risk, I will never fold. Risk is an integral part of the game, and I'm always willing to take risks if there's a reason to do so.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only way to avoid that is if you decide to fold it before the flop. I don't play those hands like 22, 33 or 4s unless its in late position and I can put a raiser on Ax Kx and I know they're not going to be able to get away from the hand if they hit and I get a good price to play. Moshman talks about the right price in the 30 day course here at Cardschat but I'll go even lower than that suggested price.

Those type of hands just aren't good because they're not going to hit a set on the flop like 90% of the time, then you're going to have over cards on the flop and it can be hard to know where you are in that hand. Does your opponent they have AK or AJ and cbetting the flop? I don't know but you're going to need to know your opponent's tendencies.

And think about it, who's going to pay you off even if you hit the set? An over pair in the hole? An average player isn't going too far with Ax missing the flop so you need a K, Q or an Ace to hit the flop as well as your set!!!! Its not worth it. Once you hit the flop and you have a set and the board doesn't have draws then you have to go with it and just take the cooler.

This all goes back to starting hands and preflop play. My point is it may not be the outcome as in this case of set over set that some folks focus on but on your hand selection. EVERY starting hand has a story and you can learn how the story usually ends by studying the game.

A golden rule in omaha isn't to play small pairs because this happen. Its not omaha but set over set happens. I had a hand recently where I had AA, somebody had 5s, another 9s and the somebody else other a big card flush draw of either JQs or something.

The bottom pair, hits a set on the flop, the next biggest pair hits a set on the turn and I hit the biggest set on the river!! But the flush draw wins when my Ace hits because it completes the flush, lol. So it happens. Nothing you can do but rebuy if you can and just move on.

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Trying to put your oppo on a bigger set is a mistake in 6max. Against the nittiest of nits you might be able to consider it a full ring but even then it is probably -VE in the long term.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is possible to avoid such situations based on the opponent's bets, statistics on him, especially since it is not possible to win everything.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
seriously ....

is it even possible ? lets say you have 3-3 and the flop comes 3-J-7 rainbow for example . and you face a lot of aggression and think opponent MIGHT have 7-7

you both go all in eventually and he/she really has 7-7 and you are angry to not have folded . but at the same time your set is too strong to fold

you can't get away, this is just a cooler hand that is very much part of poker unfortunately

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
seriously ....

This is a part of the game that you can't escape, you can only avoid these situations when you have a lot of information about your opponent, such as bet sizes, bluffs and more! I don't fold hands like this often myself, but I try to read opponents at the table, after all you can't win every hand! Good luck at the tables!

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there is no flush or straight, then you will not be able to fold a set on such a board.
In this case, the cooler. Just bad luck.

C

Clutchdenier

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you a feel player or do you play GTO?

Sometimes the feeling can be right - also did you have history or knowledge of how villain likes to play? Sometimes decisions can be made not f rom the poker itself bu a read of the opponent which it looks like you had in this case. Definitely not an easy hand to get away from but a good experiment is - would you be able to get away from it if it was a $100k buyin?

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Almost always this is going to be a cooler and there's not much to be done about it, demonstrable in my mind by the fact you see it happening in major tournaments and high stakes fairly regularly, without many folds happening.

Watched this one happen live:

That being said, the one caveat to this is knowing the specific opponent's game very well, or having some kind of solid read or tell.

Doug Polk famously correctly folded a flopped bottom straight on the flop versus the nut straight of Phil Helmuth. He was able to do so due to having a good knowledge of Phil's game and also due to some loose speech play from The Brat. :laugh:

In the opening game of the League this season I almost got away from a boat on the river when against quads. On the flop it was set over set. I tanked fifth street seriously considering the fold for max time bank, faced with all in to call but, alas, wasn't able to trust my gut & read enough to make what would have probably been my best fold ever! :laugh:

Not impossible but extremely difficult.

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

Yes, but it's tough. Like any other hand, you have to evaluate the board, the amount bet, if you're lead betting or not, your opponent, gut feeling. Good luck.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Coolers in poker can be either in your favor or not in your favor. There is no escape from this.

G

GoodMoon90

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If there is no straight or flush on the board, I calmly push out with a set. If my opponent also has a set, nothing can be done with a regular cooler...

samircyber9

samircyber9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on the informations you got from the table , how is the guy playing and see the flop is it flushy and everything

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I usually fold small hands like 22 33 44 preflop. But still I have experienced similar situations at the tables even with four of a kind. It's annoying when this happens, but there's not much you can do about it. Just keep playing and hope it doesn't happen again. Sometimes luck is on your side and sometimes it's against you.

S

StressMit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have found that in tournaments with the high action software the first card on the flop is the trips holding.
So your trip 3's will win a high % of the time especially if you are the bigger stack.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
seriously ....

Is it possible to get away from this. Yes but its going to be a very rare day it happens. In all honestly it about the other player and what you know of them. I have seen some extremely tight players I have known. This one friend was as tight as they come and would show the hands she would fold at time. I was in the SB once and raised and she folded pocket queens and showed them saying I must have a big hand there. Its this try of player I could fold to if I flopped a set of 3's and she started pushing in a lot of chips. Again the problem is how often do we have a set vs a player like this.

Now for the record, I dont ever recall folding a set on this type of board to be honest and its probably because I never ran into this situation with a player I could see only having a set.

When you run set into set your just dammed to lose a lot of chips.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only did it once but that was after I already put $100 into the pot. I was still a winner for the night but I wouldn't have been if I played out that hand.

S

seraxel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Only if opp is super, super nitty, and the betting and board and history all align to tell you they have it, us the only time you get away I would think.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes there is no escape from this.

ProblemPlaya

ProblemPlaya

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
seriously ....

impossible to fold,