Hold Em Is So Yesterday

Wolfpack43ACC

Wolfpack43ACC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe it's just me, but is anyone else sick and tired of NLHE? Personally I think it has become the most saturated, and down right boring poker game. Everywhere you turn there's another person learning the game od Hold Em. I mean come on is it really that hard? I've recently ventured over to the Omaha PL tables and I think that is where I'll be staying from now on. More action, weaker players, & I've found I actually enjoy the game again.

Anyone ever get like that. Just completely fed up, bored to death with a certain game?

jroyfus

jroyfus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will not totally agree with you here.

However the game does sometimes get boring, then again

I play it way to much. I have recently found myself playing

MTT's mainly HORSE, I am starting to like this game more and more.

But when it comes to sitting down at a cash tbl

Bring on the NLHE baby !!! :D

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you aren't bored playing NL Texas hold 'em, you aren't playing right.

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you aren't bored playing NL Texas hold 'em, you aren't playing right.

I don't think that's fair to say. I think people begin to learn how to multi-table partly because of boredom and partly because of how it reduces your variance.

I know for myself, I learned NLHE first, then I transitioned to Limit HE, then to HORSE, Stud H/L, Razz, PLO8, and finally PLO. I enjoy PLO, Razz, and Stud H/L the best. I rarely play NLHE anymore.

I

IvaiLamDimidov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I know what you mean it can get boring sometimes. In fact, in August of 2008 I stopped playing poker completely because I got so bored. Then in November of 2008 I had an interest for it and started to play again. I have been playing mostly NL Holdem since then and it seems like the interest is starting to fade. I would recommend playing HORSE as the cure. The mix of games makes it interesting. Another fault of boredom in the poker room is losing. People tend to lose more often when they're bored.

I

ihavea4

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i don't exactly agree, but i do enjoy playing other games as well. recently, stud has become one of my favorites. especially at the low levels, the play is awful. razz is also fun to play, but in the end, holdem is a classic, and i love playing it too.

Gobbs

Gobbs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still believe NLHE is the Cadillac of poker, but like anything else, if you do it too much, you will get bored with it.

That's why, I believe, a good poker player is a well-rounded poker player. If you play PL Omaha constantly, you'll get tired of that eventually, too.

I enjoy playing everything.

KC

E

ecoutee72

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think holdem can get boring. I like to to play omaha hi/lo and stud hi/lo, when I get bored of holdem. Something to change it up a little bit. You definately don't have to be strictly a holdem player. Gl what ever you do.

PokerVic

PokerVic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the first Harrington book explains why NLHE is justifiably so popular. I couldn't put it any better, so here it is:

In classic five-card draw poker, all your opponent's cards are hidden. Aside from the betting patterns, the only source of information you have is the number of cards your opponent chooses to discard. With so little information to weigh, your strategic options are limited, and the game plays very mechanically. Nowadays, classic five-card draw is only played in home games.

At the other extreme of poker variations lies another classic game, five-card stud. Here players have only one hidden hole card, while all other cards are dealt face-up. Once again basic strategy becomes mechanically simple ("Don't play unless you can beat the board."), this time because too much information about each hand is available.

The best poker variations strike the right balance between hidden and exposed cards. Texas Hold'em lies right in the center of that sweet spot. Two hidden cards allow plenty of room for deceptive maneuvering, while five exposed cards allow a good player to make plenty of deductions about the opposing hands.

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really love holdem and hope I never lose my desire to play it.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play PLO sometimes for a little change, and I do enjoy that. But no, I don`t get bored with NLHE.

However, I am mainly a tournament player, and there is much more subtlety and interest in tournies, imo. Ring games can get tedious.

J

jedimoose

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im guilty of getting bored at NLH from time to time. Really enjoy 7hl and HORSE over anything. Im definitely not bored of it because its so easy, like someone mentioned above. With anything even if you are great you can always get better. All live games i play are almost exclusively NLH and most online games as well. So i look for any chance i get to play something else. I also believe that playing other games will make your NLH better plus you have more options of games when you do decide to play.

konawajim

konawajim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think maybe bored is not the right word for what I'm feeling about poker these days. For me it more like burned out. I am thinking it might be time for a break

O

overtop69

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love hold'em and do play it most of the time. I tend to play between 40-80 hrs of poker a week...mostly hold'em...tho I do change games on occassion. I don't get bored of it as I multi-table or do something else while playing.....but I do get the boredom factor. Imagine playing it live and being card-dead....now that's boring :)

K

kill n laugh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Holdem is my favorite game, but i do agree other games are sometimes more fun to play like PL omaha it can get very interesting, although i believe theres more luck involved in it and more odds to think about.

N

nightmoves44

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
nlh

I know losing at nlh sure gets boring,lol,but the last table sure is exciting.I recently played 7 card stud and thought I wouldnt like it.,but I did pretty good and it was more fun than nlh.So if your bored try something different,you may like it better.

JaBone30

JaBone30

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Holdem does get boring, at least in the longer tourneys, but break it up and play some mixed games. Thats what helps me anyways when I'm havin trouble stayin calm.

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started out playing 5 card draw then wandered into 7 card stud. Variety is the spice of life. I did well playing Razz. Kansas City low ball and a few others just to give NLE a break.

I know how you feel about getting bored with NLE. Maybe take a vaction from it....or take a vacation from poker for a bit. This shouldn't be a job, ya know.

Nickmond

Nickmond

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Getting bored while playing is part of the game, until you get to the hand that gets you back into things...However, I do agree that omaha is a more exciting game, it keeps your attention more than NLHE and you're right in saying that most people aren't very good at it.

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know losing at nlh sure gets boring,lol,but the last table sure is exciting.I recently played 7 card stud and thought I wouldnt like it.,but I did pretty good and it was more fun than nlh.So if your bored try something different,you may like it better.

..and PokerVic quoted Harrington: "The best poker variations strike the right balance between hidden and exposed cards. Texas Hold'em lies right in the center of that sweet spot. Two hidden cards allow plenty of room for deceptive maneuvering, while five exposed cards allow a good player to make plenty of deductions about the opposing hands."

7 Stud lies right in the middle of that 'sweet spot' too, imo. Two in the hole, 4 rounds face up and a last hole card. Lots to see and not see, plenty to think about. 'Plenty of deductions'? Think of 7th street as the river card in the hole ... YOUR hole card that nobody else has or can use ... :D

E

el8ed

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my experience, losing streaks make me bored of it, winning streaks make me interested again. Simple as that, no matter the game... I just do not see how one could possibly get bored with a game that is making them money, therefore I would have to say that getting bored with a game probably means your losing at it :p

Y

youzeaflea22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am sick to death of Holdem. I love horse but now I am getting into Badugi and 2-7 draw. I lose a lot of money at PLO hi-lo but I enjoy it. When I have a low bankroll I have to play Holdem to get it back up. poker stars has an 8 game mix and I love that too.

A

ayasak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
perhaps u've played too much and thus the boredom towards NLHE?

imo, there has been too much emphasis on NLHE the past few years and that could be the crux of people getting bored of NLHE. The trend now seem to be NLHE ---> PLO.

Limit games aint suitable for tv, PLO being the next most exciting game for tv, could be the next big thing, provided they change the games of the wsop ME to PLO + get a Moneymaker No.2

SystEmsuX

SystEmsuX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omahaha and Omaha8 are much more fun, imo. I'd like to see the popularity of those games increase.