High stakes vs, low Stakes

K

kidrock1211

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those of you blessed enough to play high stakes poker like $900 or more bye in! Do you play more caseous than if you were in a $10 game? Or do you stick to your game plan no matter what the stakes are? One more thing id like to know if your a high stakes player playing for $50,000 or higher payouts do you even bother playing $5 or $10 or less games! :rolleyes:

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t play the high stakes but the game is more controlled at the higher stakes. I wouldn’t say cautious as such but you don’t have players calling all ins with junk like you often get at Lower stakes. I can’t imagine high stakes players playing $5-$10 games except some do for home games like Jeff Gross does.

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only time I was able to play a 1k tournament that I basically classified myself playing freerolls, I played it as a low stakes game and everything went perfectly, until I wanted to put on a show by bluffing a pro player (who made a shitty call for me to emphasize) everything ended badly. If you have a solid base of play, you always play the same.

N

nyeesssss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as you go up in stackes the players get better , so there are spots where you should bluff cause of blockers that you should never bluff in low stackes simply because the players are not capable of folding top pair or better but a high stackes regs can for example fold a flush on a full house board for example and if u have good blockers it would be bad not to bluff.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have not played myself high stakes poker game but watching such games in pokergo, youtube, twitch or other such platforms it can be seen that players just get much better at higher stakes. Of course there are still gamblers with a lot of money even there but general trend is players to play better and if you want to win you should also adapt and improve your game. Strong mind is also needed because it is not the same to risk 10$, 1000$, 10 000$ or even more even if you have deep enough bankroll to be able to afford this. For me going up in stakes should be the last step when you have needed skills, bankroll and mindset so that you can afford it. Players who can play successfully at high stakes are very few percent of all poker players and there is good reason for that.

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
dany

hate low stakes ,lots of idiots go all in for crap and sometimes beat pocket aces

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those of you blessed enough to play high stakes poker like $900 or more bye in! Do you play more caseous than if you were in a $10 game? Or do you stick to your game plan no matter what the stakes are? One more thing id like to know if your a high stakes player playing for $50,000 or higher payouts do you even bother playing $5 or $10 or less games! :rolleyes:
Have played everythng from freerolls to $1000 buy ins online and live cash,
Was more of a gambler when a younger man in my 20s with 25 to 30k in the bank had no problem putting a k or 2 on the felt as had no children or serious responsibilities,
As a 40 year old man and now a Father though even in a better financial situation asset wise and with more responsibility anyway would prefer to keep it off the felt and play lower stakes as have dependents that I will not let down if bust everything.
You have to make adjustments and mix it up for the level you play speed also format and different disciplines makes a huge difference ko games for example play different to normal games as you probably know,
I can gladly have tables open playing freerolls,$10 games or playing championship events with huge prizepools at the same time still enjoy each game still find it fun.
High stakes though is serious pressure for people unless they are really wealthy and can afford to lose many buy ins this is where the many people who are not extremely wealthy ruin themselves on the downswing forum is full of hard luck stories many more than successful huge winning stories but there is plenty of really successful massive winning players too so this all depends on the player really.

Last edited:
C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

I genererally do well in cash games regardless of the size , Even if ti is your last 10 or last 900, you have to play as if your bankroññ is unlimited if you hope to win.
For example , I have a good friend , who is an exellent poker payer and lives in Vegas, he taught me. However I have won more tournaments than him because he sweats the money. Spend nost of his energy trying to make the money so as to recoup his investement, versus playing to win the tourney from the getgo.

S

some39thing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play a lot tighter at high stakes