Have you played other card games before playing poker?

J

James24543

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was talking with friends a few weeks ago about how we came to like playing poker. I realised I was playing many different card games growing up and it felt natural to try playing poker amongst other games.

By instance, I have played Scopa a lot with my grandmother when she was babyisitting me.

Not quite hold'em poker like but it does have some similarities with it. There are cards in the middle accessible to all players and you need to know what cards have passed and what probabilities are left to make "series of points".

Have you played other card games and did it helped you improve your poker game?View attachment 253507

I played solitaire before poker and it did not help with poker.

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
Hi Friend.

Since I was a child I liked to play what in my country they call "Loba"

filippfilm

filippfilm

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was talking with friends a few weeks ago about how we came to like playing poker. I realised I was playing many different card games growing up and it felt natural to try playing poker amongst other games.

By instance, I have played Scopa a lot with my grandmother when she was babyisitting me.

Not quite hold'em poker like but it does have some similarities with it. There are cards in the middle accessible to all players and you need to know what cards have passed and what probabilities are left to make "series of points".

Have you played other card games and did it helped you improve your poker game?View attachment 253507

Yes I was playing a throw-in fool:jd4::):jd4:

V

viacheslavtezikov

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Before no limit poker, I played limit poker. And so only a little in preference.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I remember my Mother teaching me Solitaire when I was about 5 Years old, and she showed me a lot of variations on the game, and I think since then I was hooked on card games.
I loved the feel of the deck in my hand, and learned early on that if you cheat, you really are only cheating yourself, because it doesn't help you to become better at a game, only better at cheating.
I was introduced into gambling with cards when I left school and played a lot of Cribbage, Don, Three Card Brag and blackjack, which I had a basic knowledge of playing for matches when I was at home with my siblings, So I had played for fun basically, but you start to learn more, when it is costing you money.
I did well at times and only got into Poker when I was around 24 as most Pubs banned the game, Why? I really don't know,because Three Card Brag created a lot of trouble back in those days because the rule was, if you could not manage to cover the bet someone made, you were forced to fold, and that led to many arguments and eventually fights between players.
I suppose another reason was, Poker was, even then a Big money game, and some shady characters would dominate the Poker table, and beating them would always end with a bloody nose or broken jaw for someone.
Thankfully Poker has been brought out of the smoky back rooms, and out into the real World where it has become more acceptable to play, I remember when my Grandmother found out I was playing Poker, She was worried I was going to end up in prison being led astray by some of the shadier characters. It always had a bad reputation for trouble.
Now in my sixties, I can play when I want, thanks to the Internet and all the poker sites, with out a threat of a broken nose. :):):)

When the fun Stops, STOP!

gery

gery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah all the chilhood games like UNO or something like that but nothing is like poker.

forrow10

forrow10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to play with spanish decks (truco, solitarie, chin-chon XD). I did not like the Traditional Poker but I feel in love with Texas Holdem.

pljosko

pljosko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’ve played a lot of card games most of which I can’t translate into English, but ever since I started playing online poker I’ve completely neglected them.

C

Carlloss

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always liked card games, I always played with family and friends, but it was always just for fun. Only with poker I started betting games.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I grew up in the south unfortunately, and go fish was the only card game I knew. Until I was 45 and my new hubby taught me. A day to learn a life time to master.

igroksash

igroksash

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Before poker I liked to play a lot of games with cards such as fool, 1000, swara ... Now I don't even remember the rules for everyone.

hunterws

hunterws

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Someone bought me a poker game to play while on the toilet, that's how I learned. Then did some reading to refine the rest of the aspects.

Prior to trying poker, I was only on blackjack and was looking for another avenue with better odds than craps.

Sariane

Sariane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of cards I really started with poker

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
as much as poker no, but I've played Blackjack, Patience (Haha) and Bridge

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started out playing hearts and bridge with my grandparents.

kkuk

kkuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hello.yes, they played, preference, fool, drunkard...

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
Hi Friend.

I like to play "loba" as they say in my country, I also like to play Yu Gi Oh.

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
of course yes but just for fun without gambling

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have played many card games over the years, everything from 3 Card Brag! Shoot! Cribbage, even Blackjack, I have lost many times but generally I am in Profit with most games.
I remember going out one Saturday lunch time with just £2 in my pocket, started off playing Dominoes for 10 pence a corner and a Penny a knock, and by closing time I was £10 up, I then went on to a private club and playing 3 Card and Blackjack, I finished over £50 up on the day.
When I was younger I would bet on anything from 2 raindrops on a window pane, to what sex the next person to walk into the Bar would be, any action in a Bar and I would want to be in on it.
We even bet on Jacks to get into a Don Game which went into the prize pool for the lucky 4 players to get a Jack at £1 a go, I have seen over £40 in the prize pool before the game started, so if you didn't get a Jack on the first deal there was little chance of getting a 2nd card.
Card games have always been in my blood, and if I didn't know how to play a game, I soon learned so I could take part, Poker is just one of many I have tried over the 60 years I have been around, and yes! I used to hustle as a kid even betting on Coin Tossing (nearest to a wall) with my pocket money.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

S

slothi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Before I started playing Poker I played Skat and Doppelkopf (maybe you know these games 😉) with my schoolmates…..😎

D

dejavupkns21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah

I played other games with cards when i was smaller but nothing similar to poker. I used to play from young age backgammon! :)

wrzlbrnft

wrzlbrnft

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
In Bavaria / germany where I live, we have e very popular card game called "Schafkopf". It's played best with 4 people and I still like playing it. 32 cards and every player gets 8. You can play in a round alone against 3 opponents, or if your cards are weaker find a partner to play against 2 opponents on the table. You can play with money, also tourneys are organized with prizes.
On the picture is the best possible hand you can get, The Royal Flush of "Schafkopf". Very rare, I never got them. The odds are 0,00000951 %

Attachments

• Schafkopfkarten.jpg
    Schafkopfkarten.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 19
Top 10 Games