Harrahs Monopoly over WSOP

B

baby kahuna

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im at the wsop now. The first year I attended there were a lot of merchants there with booths. Full Tilt, PS, Doyles Room etc. It was great. Free T Shirts, books, seminars, key chains, free snacks, etc. Now there were only a handful. Only Everest Poker who only takes non US members, Card Runner, and a handful of Harrah's affiliates.
At the Card Runners booth they were running simulated videos of on line games but the logos from the poker site were all erased.. I asked why. And they said Harahs made them. It seems that Harrahs dont want you to play online. Which makes sense in a way but the WSOP is a poker mecca. And a ton of players wouldnt be there if it wasnt for online action. Why Harrahs doesnt allow Online sites on to their property is lame. Dont they know one hand washes the other. I wouldnt be there if I didnt play on FT and PS everyday. I would be playing live no matter what. Im sorry I just think it would be so much more an enjoyable experience had outside merchants be allowed to paticipate.

reglardave

reglardave

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all relates to a little inconvenience known as UIGEA. The WSOP has been forced to change many of their policies re/ online sites by Big Brother. Included in the list of things they currently don't/can't allow: advertising at the WSOP from US friendly online sites, direct entry from online satellite qualifiers, things like that. Don't heap the blame on Harrah's, look to Uncle Sam.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty sure in this case Dave, Harrah's is way more to blame than the gov....

Lets not leave ESPN in the clear either.

B

baby kahuna

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I agree. But why no booths from Card Player, bluff, Two plus Two, Poker wear, etc. and all the non internet merchants. Why a booth for Harrahs pool? In the past when these merchants were there it was more lively and inspiring. You could gather in their rooms and meet them and talk with them about their new products and vision for the gaming industry. I blame Harrahs for not allowing those, unless they are sponsors of WSOP, to reach out to us.

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm quite sure Harrah's just doesn't want to be associated in any way with the online sites right now. Not while the UIGEA is still in force. When I was there in '06, UB, FT, PS, Doyles Room, all had very nice booths with different goodies for the players. But times have changed since then.

Besides, should online poker ever become truly legal in the US, you know Harrah's is going to jump on that and have a room themselves.

WSOP