Which is Harder Hold'em or PLO

J

johnadams1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Variance is bigger in Omaha so i think its little tougher. There are almost no safe hands, you will lose with quads more than you think and losing top full you see almost every session if you put enough volume. Also almost all hands preflop have good equity, so if you will stackoff only AAxx you can easily be losing.

M

Minakshi

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think Omaha is tougher. I love Texas NLH because I find it easier to predict.Omaha even with FH one can lose

Bennoda

Bennoda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think pot limit omaha is harder and more random i play omaha and holdem and i probably couldn't play one thing it would be interesting to do more freerolls in PLO

Vivaly

Vivaly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you started playing hold'em, then at first it will be difficult for you to switch to Omaha. Otherwise, both poker games are interesting. And to say that something is more difficult is like comparing tennis and ping-pong - both games require their own skills.

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think PLO is easier than Hold'em.

Happylake

Happylake

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In your opinion, what’s harder Omaha or Holdem? I think Omaha gives you more opportunities since you have four cards.
As for me, Omaha, the more interesting it is. I like it when there are 5 cards.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They're both hard games for different reasons.....That's a really good question. With Hold'em, more people play that than Omaha so the competition is definitely tougher just based on sheer tournament sizes. Omaha is a game where hand equities are much closer and you can go from being a big favorite to dead with the turn of a card. I suppose it happens in Hold'em too, but so many times you can flop a set and lose to a better set, full houses losing to quads, etc. It definitely is a higher variance game than Hold'em.

W

WJMKAM

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have had almost no luck with PLO, but have won a few PLO-H/L.

I prefer Hold'em, but PLO-H/L can be an enjoyable change.

jrgum25

jrgum25

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find Omaha much harder which is why I mainly stick to Holdem. A lot of people like Omaha and while there is seemingly more action I prefer Holdem because I just like it better probably because I'm better at Holdem than Omaha.

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
By Omaha is more possible.You have more chances to win even with bad cards, then you have 4 of them.

Stringy

Stringy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
never played plo, some gonna say it's harder :)

O

oroochimaru

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd think PLO is more difficult, but there are some significant changes that some Hold'em players find difficult to adjust to.

The first step is to get used to the concept that you must use two cards from your hand.
In Omaha, blockers are far more crucial than in Hold'em and hands with re-draw potential are quite valuable, although this is far less often in Hold'em.

There are many more, but these are the ones that come to mind right now.
Omaha is a far more enjoyable game in my opinion, although not all Hold'em techniques will translate well to Omaha.
Be ready for enormous swings (both up and down) and accept that it's all part of the game.

Last edited:
Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Holdem. Plo is mostly straightforward. Holdem is more deceptive and unpredictable.

Xcoder

Xcoder

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion PLO is harder. Yes having more cards in your hand is nice and opens up more opportunities, however so do your opponents. Getting trapped or slow rolled is much more common in PLO than in NLHE, in NLHE it's easier to catch these plays before it's to late. In PLO you may catch onto these plays but you could also find yourself in a hard position to fold, lets say a 2 pair, straight when potential flush on board etc.

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PLO because the site flashes the winning hand so fast you don't know what they had.

L

LOKIE77

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PLO as you are never more than 60% equity pre flop and if u do not connect with the flop you can not normally bluff to win the pot especially in the many muti way pots and your never really sure if your the best unless you have the absolute nutz ie highest flush, full house etc. Essentially if you think u may be second best and an opponent is betting the pot it's just best to fold as less bluffing. this is also why you need a bigger bankroll. Alot more action but also many more suckouts ie set makes a fullhouse on the river your nut flush is dead.

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play a lot of limit poker: hold'em stud, stud 8, razz, others Answered 1 year ago · Author has 3.6K responses and 2.3M responses PLO by a lot. You can miss the best hand, but actually be behind... you currently have the best hand, but you still don't have a plurality of equity in the pot. In hold'em, if possible, it would be extremely rare. Now, if you just want to bet a ton of money for the thrill of it and don't give a damn that you have a negative long-term expectation, the PLO is probably a better and more fun choice. In hold'em while it's certainly possible to have an amazing run playing like shit, it's more likely in the PLO....the variance (deviation from expected value over a relatively short — a single session is certainly short — hands) is much higher in the PLO than in the NLHE. Also beware: OLP tends to play much bigger than NLHE with comparable blind sizes. Watching a 5-5 or 10-10 OLP gives me heart palpitations just watching the staggering amount of money changing hands in some of the pots. It's a thrill-seeking player's wet dream - as long as your pockets are deep enough.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good morning.I think PLO is harder than Holdem.I´ve never felt comfortable when playing PLO cash games.I only enjoy PLO if it is a freeroll.NL Holdem is the most popular poker game since most people find it easier, I guess.

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately, I do not know the rules of PLO, so it is logical that it is more difficult

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Omaha requires much more thought and focus. You have to remember that you MUST use two of your cards and three community cards, unlike Holdem where you can use as many community cards as you want. You can easily think you’ve made a flush in Omaha only to realize you weren’t taking the right number of cards. If you play hi-lo Omaha then it gets even trickier.
I agree with you, can't count the number of times I thought I had the nuts when I actually had nothing. I know more experience would overcome this problem, but I'm doing exceptionally well in Hold'em so why bother? I do like to play the freerolls once in a while, just for the experience.

N

NotADonk

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In your opinion, what’s harder Omaha or Holdem? I think Omaha gives you more opportunities since you have four cards.
In my opinion PLO is harder than Holdem, I learnt Holdem first and then Omaha which I think is the best order to learn them.

888NOX888

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, it's easier to play hold'em. Yes, there are more cards and combinations in Omaha, but do not forget that the opponent has more cards and combinations.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I personally think that PLO is tougher because of several reasons. Obviously there are 4 cards which makes it harder to see what Hand you have right now. Often you have so many outs that you do not see them immediately. You need to be focused. Every card can change everything. You see the nuts way more often. Besides you have to gamble with a big draw often and the variance is higher. This makes PLO harder mentally.

Mogulkahn

Mogulkahn

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Omaha is more difficult than holdem, cauz u have to consider blokers what u have, and omaha most dispersion discipline than holdem