belladonna05

belladonna05

belladonkin'
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Which of these hands would you rather play under the gun and why?
Ak jj

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would choose JJ, obviously because it is a ready-made pair. So I think I would have a better chance than my opponent.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rather have A K UTG and J J in later position.

Y

yanslad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd rather have JJ... Just because you won't have to pray for the poker Gods give you a pair on the flop, turn an river. Playing pairs make all the decisions post flop easier in my opinion

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All these hands bring bad luck...it's better to play with 72o :)

izmoroc

izmoroc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK.
JJ is rather low combination(
But I agree the level of aggression on preflop will be the same, but quite different play after.
I bet on AK

A

abpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Firstoff, good question. Especially since I feel like I may answer this type of question differently, depending upon when asked. Which may not be correct, but oh well. Anyway, I think I'd more often go with the AKsuited. Mostly because I'm usually gonna raise both of the hands, and when I get action with JJ and see those dreaded higher cards on the flop....you know the feeling. I like feeling like I have a chance of drawing to the nuts with the AK suited, as well as obviously hoping to flop a pair or better first.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
View attachment 272414

Actually this is pretty much my range playing UTG. I am folding nearly everything else.

I would take either hand. But they play kind of differently depending on how many callers one gets.

My goal is one caller OOP.

But - if one has 4 callers...jeez could be big trouble.

With multiple callers one is hoping that JJ is an overpair to the flop.

With multiple callers one is hoping that AKs pairs up on the flop - or even better a pair with a flush draw.

I'm c-betting both those hands because there is a very good chance that it is the best hand even if I miss.

Too many callers and one won't see a flopped set of deuces easily.

Good luck !

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Both are premium hands. If you open UTG with JJ and you get some action in front, a 3-bet and a 4-bet i advise you to fold cause if the flop come all rags you'll be in trouble and may not fold your hand thinking that Villain has TT or 99 or trying to hit some straight or set at turn and river thus spewing more chips.
AKs is great hand to 4-bet all-in with, especially UTG you could made some hands folds like 88+ and if facing an all-in it's a flip.

Liedust

Liedust

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I would always choose a pair in that position, Just for the statistics. AK suited are always a great hand. Cheers

kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I like Ak more so cards stronger than if you connect them for sure you win the hand

damkoMTK

damkoMTK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All these hands bring bad luck...it's better to play with 72o :)

I agree for the first part, but i hate 72 ... anyway I would settle down for any Q combination rather then these two lol

So from yesterdays free role here are these two hands JJ in UTG, and AK in CC. Unluckily for me I lost both hands ( and it was JJ against AK in first one)... :bike:

JJ - https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/124Csatl0

AK - https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/124Csdtmh

But today had some better luck with AK in BB :icon_joke

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/324Cu07As

This was a good question and some good comments above. :top:

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Two jacks are more preferred. You have a ready-made pair in your arms. And with an ace or a king you still need to get it.

O

oscarhuka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer AK any Q or higher on the flop already puts you at a disadvantage!

Waleswasp

Waleswasp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would prefer AKs, JJ always seem to get cracked and is a notoriously difficult hand to play correctly.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Are we 9/10 handed or 5/6 handed? Tournament or cash game? Stack sizes around the table? What are the stats on the other players? Do I have someone who is going to be easy to play unimproved JJ on the flop correctly against out of position? Is the table loose/passive and I'll be playing this multi-way?

Which hand I prefer depends on many factors.

E

enzomyn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
View attachment 272414

Clearly it's AKs because JJ is not a convincing hand, as I saw earlier in a chat, JJ is really a love / hate hand, conducive to coming at times when you have a lot of BB's, but when you're in a precarious situation in a tournament the AKs fits much better.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely the JJ. It is ready pair and it is slight statistical favorite with 53 versus 47% equity.

tagog

tagog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is a dangerous hand, I would prefer AK

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is more convincing on the preflop, but this is where their advantage ends, there is a 57% probability that an overcard will fall on the flop, and how will you play the post-flop? If the opponent has a pair stronger than yours, you only have 2 outs (a rough calculation, because there are possible streets and flushes on one pocket card).
The pair is ready, but it is more difficult to part with it and this leads to greater relationships with this pair.

With AK, it is easier to fold the re-raise of our c-bet, plus it dominates a large number of hands that can call our raise.

But I would not refuse any of these hands:)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands