Gut feeling

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Silly question, but I was wondering if anyone else gets it.

Say you're holding QQ vs opponents AK, are there times where you get this feeling that an A or a K is going to pop up?

Im not talking about 'It always happens to me because Im so unlucky' or anything like that, but an actual gut feeling. A feeling that makes you go 'well, here comes a K on the river'.

That saying, do you also get a different feeling when you know you're going to win the race? During a race situation, you know you're good the whole way and you dont even sweat it.

I find myself getting these little intuitions a lot, esepcially during race situations or when opponents are on a draw, and most of the time they're spot on. For some reason it makes it easier to handle when my opponent beats me.

</random post>

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are a few different threads on this, and IMO the 'gut feeling' is nothing.

Selective memory: you only remember the times this 'gut feeling' came true, and forget the times you actually won the race, all the while getting the 'gut feeling' (ie fear of seeing an A/K).

Gut feeling in a hand due to a subconscious analysis is a different story though.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree with chuck completely. as soon as you start acting on "gut feelings" as far as the numbers that will be spewed out of a program, a random number generator, you're as bad as the guy who calls a huge preflop raise with J5 suited because he can just feel the flush is coming

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im not saying you act on you sould act on your gut feel feeling or anything like that. This post isn't about acting on it, its more of do you get this 'feeling' when things are going to happen? Whether its bad or good.

Assume you and your opponent are all in PF, you hold QQ vs AK, and your opponent spikes their A on the river. You have no control of the out come of cards because there is no more action on each street.

My question is do some of you get that weird feeling that its going to happen? That you're going to dodge 4 cards, only to have your opponent catch it on the river. And also, for the time it doesnt happen, do have this different feeling? A more calm feeling, like you know your hand is going to hold and you have nothing to worry about. I dont get these gut feelings all the time, but there are times when in this situation (all in PF, with no control of cards to come) when I just sense my opponent is going to win, or I sense that my hand is going to hold through. Not 100% accurate, of course.

I know its all mathmatics and this so called gut feeling of things to come might be a bit far-fetched. I guess its a bit of sixth sense sort of thing. Like how some people can sense danger or when something is going to happen. Or how some can just tell when its going to rain, for example.

Hopefully, this clears things up a bit.

lilybo

lilybo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i play guts all the time, and it works 4 me, get called names once in a moon 4 it 2 :)