Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone

Yesterday I read the news that Gus Hansen, famous professional poker player, backgammon and businessman, had more than $ 10 million in losses in his highstakes game.
My question is very novice since obviously that sum for Hansen is as if I lost 50 dollars (I would cry a whole week, or more, hahaha): can poker professionals lose such a sum of money? Do not do cash management? Is there a chance that Hansen is a ludopath? (I say it with a lot of respect).

Thanks in advance and sorry if sometimes my questions are beginner (after all that is what I am).

Best regards from Buenos Aires.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The guy lost so many millions online but he obviously has money and is still playing. I don’t think people realize how much he’s won from backgammon. I would think that number is quite large.

koisug

koisug

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if he's a professional, he knows how much he can afford to lose. If the excitement was overwhelming, it is unlikely that he would have been such a successful player. But all the same, I think even for him 10 million is an impressive amount, and a very sensitive defeat, the question is that someone after this is ready to shoot himself, and he continues to play!!!!

koisug

koisug

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the end Federer loses in the first round without getting 3 million winnings)))

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I've read that Gus Hansen has seen some pretty incredible swings in his gambling career. I'm sure he has the money or he wouldn't play at those stakes.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Gus Hansen is one of my favorite poker players. This news suggests that misfortune can happen even to great people.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No matter what his finances are he’ll almost always have potential backers. I’d guess that a large sum of that $10 million isn’t his own money.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi mate.Yes,he has lost a lot of money ,specially online but I think he still can afford to play those high stakes cash games .Finally,I don´t think he has a ludopathy problem at all.

riverlizard3

riverlizard3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hhhmmm

Its never comforting to hear of one of the premier players losing.
As all news ,i have to consider inaccurate info possibilities.
Many players have a system of investor financing , where they sometimes may be playing with others money.
in any case losing that much would never be comfortable,and i wish him the best.

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No matter what his finances are he’ll almost always have potential backers. I’d guess that a large sum of that $10 million isn’t his own money.

This is a good point. A professional player is always worth something regardless of debt because they can be staked

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Gus Hansen lost 20 million dollars playing online, professionals can also lose that amount but they are very small because it depends on your banking capacity, I think the abuse of that, but they play high levels, and if you do not control yourself you can reach lose that amount of money as he did.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think we will probably never be able to find out about the true winnings or losses, of such games as Gus Hansen. If he lost such a sum of money, then he could afford to lose it, because he is not the first day in this industry, and the consequences of such losses are familiar to him. This is not the first such news about him.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hi everyone

Yesterday I read the news that Gus Hansen,

This ^ is very old news. Gus lost over $20 million online and hasn't played since 2016

I think I've read that Gus Hansen has seen some pretty incredible swings in his gambling career. I'm sure he has the money or he wouldn't play at those stakes.
Well... he seems to have stopped playing at those stakes online 5yrs. ago.

Gus Hansen is one of my favorite poker players. This news suggests that misfortune can happen even to great people.
'Or'.... even the greats need to continue to work on their game as others adapt to them. I recall Negreanu writing a few pieces some years ago, saying how he'd been putting in a lot more study time to keep up with the other players (at the time it was suggested he couldn't beat 50nl online). Shortly after he began to crush... 'again'
No matter what his finances are he’ll almost always have potential backers..
I can think of thousands of players I'd rather back than Gus. I mean there's LOTS of good players these days vs. one who has lost tens of millions. :(
Its never comforting to hear of one of the premier players losing.
As all news ,i have to consider inaccurate info possibilities.
see screenshot below. There are also MANY articles online from around the time when Gus was losing millions. (you could watch it happening on the FTP tables if you logged in then)
This is a good point. A professional player is always worth something regardless of debt because they can be staked

Can they be staked? I mean I don't know but how long can you be staked for when you're no longer a winning player?

Attachments

• GH -20.jpg
    GH -20.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 19
P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Gus shoots craps also I saw him in the roped off area at the Bellagio and he was losing then

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given that all people are different, their relationship to losses will also be different. You can't tell for sure whether Hus has been crying for an hour, a week, or even still crying. Obviously only if he lost that money, did he have it.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
he has lost millions online and he was losing millions in Bobbies room too, at the end I think that he is not playing these days

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As I understand it, Gus won his money in (soft) live tournaments and then lost most of it, because he thought, he could beat the best online cash game players. This is, what can happen, when you over estimate your skill and stubbornly refuse to give up. Daniel Negreanu has also lost money online, just to mention another famous name.