Goodbye Poker....for now!

Coryan

Coryan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I've decided to take a break from my little hobby that has grown to take over too much of my time and my life. I have allowed the game to interfer with both home and work (I'm typing this at work), so it is time I let it go. It's been fun....but I have to be an adult and have the right priorities. I cashed out last night.

So, here's the results of my "fun run":

Started playing poker last July with three month hiatus over the winter.
Total winnings: $2104.09
Biggest win: 1st place $3 buyin MTT. $815
Biggest losses: $165.85 in one three hour session...and $360 in one week.

I have about 2800 party points to get rid of, so I will play several freerolls this week. Then I will probably only play an occasional play money game a couple times a week. This will give me another 15+ hours of freetime each week that I can spend with family and doing things I should be doing.

This is not an easy decision, given that I have a very addictive/obsessive personality. I had to do the same thing several years ago with another game that was taking up too much of my time.

I will still drop into cardschat every so often...but not nearly as much. You have all been a great source of advice, inspiration and entertainment. Good luck in the game and in life!

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You seem to really have your head screwed on and have an accurate idea of where your priorities lie (which is unusual for a poker player ^^).

It's a good idea to get out now while you still can if you feel it's detracting from other things, which obviously you do.

Best of luck in the future!

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's too bad you are leaving, but you have set out your priorities and I applaud you for being able to walk away.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As Dorkus said, it's great that you've got your prioritites straight.
It's been great having you on the site, coryan - and we hope to hear from you again!

-Taylor

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Coryan said:
I have about 2800 party points to get rid of...

Two words: HIP FLASK!

pphipflask_l.jpg

Coryan

Coryan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great....Mr. Sticker suggests that now that I am giving up poker that I take up drinking!

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Well, best of luck to you, and good man for having all your priorities set! Bravo to you. Hope to see you around once in awhile. :hello:

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Where I'm sitting...giving up the booze seems like it would be a lot easier...!

starfall

starfall

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best of luck to you... you know most 'problem' gamblers are ones that lose money on average, right?

zinzan1000

zinzan1000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck Coryan, hope to see you at the Forums from time to time.

~~Shelynn~~

~~Shelynn~~

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Coryan sounds like your a good man knows what he should do when it comes to priority. Family and work are the most important things in these hard times. You made the right choice with sitting out for a while from CC. We'll miss you on here but understand where your coming from. Wish Family and you the very best of things, and memories your building. See you when you drop in from time to time, nice to have known you.

pokerphil

pokerphil

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hear, hear..
Yes, having good priorities are very important.

Coryan

Coryan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Almost done!

Okay...I've played four freerolls, and I'm down to only 1300 party points. Took 22nd place for $20 in a FR yesterday. I was chip leader with 36 players left of the original 1124...but once in the money I took a moderate bad beat and became too aggressive with only average hands. I can play about 3 more freerolls and then the hiatus begins.

Thanks for all the support. This decision has not been an easy one given my addictive personality and the fact that I've not been losing money.

BTW, I have participated in about five different poker forums over the past few months, and now I only frequent two...but this is, BY FAR, the best forum online. Folks are supportive, the feedback is knowledgable and well presented, and the talk is civil. Thanks!