good players from best players

M

MimiMLZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

Do you see yourself as a good poker player or do you think you are amongst the best poker players ?

Anyway, my real question is what is the difference between good poker players and the best poker players ?

Bev

Bev

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The best players are more lucky then the good ones.
I consider myself as a poker player who knows the game. Neither good or the best - that is decided by luck of the draw.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Imo, the best poker players put in the time it takes to become the best in the world. They didn't get there by studying 2 nights a week for an hour.

They study almost every day. Skip a few sessions if necessary and hit the lab to work on weak parts of their games.

Good players may or may not put in the time to study. They might take the approach of experience through playing hands instead of grinding a solver ect.

J

jn137

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So many players know the game very, very well from a strategic and mathematical standpoint. I think being able to consistently catch a bluff and know when you’re beat are a few things that truly separate the goods from the greats.

Also, you never become great at poker because you’re “unlucky” that’s for sure!

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I consider myself a leisure player who seeks to feel good and relax playing this game and if there are small gains from the game is very good. Regarding the good versus the very good, I divide the players like this ... the good one is the one who is able to make good decisions so that in most games he is among the first at the end of a tournament and the very good ones are the ones who make the best decisions. in ace choose the type of game where they make a very good profit after a few games.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The best players achieve the best results. Good players achieve good results. I think the only difference is the results. At the moment I consider myself a good player. :)

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
for me I have it very clear .... and the best players are those who for years have been profitable .... that is, they maintain profits month after month and are constantly always winning the best poker tournaments around the world ....

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
I consider myself an average amateur player who, like everyone, probably dreams that he will break through and gold bars will fall on me:)

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best players are the pro players who often take the first places in tournaments, and the good ones are those who strive to take the first places but have not yet succeeded in doing so.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good players silently earn money, and the best are promoted on television! Ha ha joke!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Am i one not the best, Not even in my dreams. Am I a good player, I dont honestly know.

What I do know it to be one of the best you need to take the game seriously. You dont need to play daily but study every day if possible. Poker is a fun game that is easy to learn but will take a lifetime t master. Has anyone really mastered it? Doubtfully but the closer you are the closer you would be to being the best in the world.

TCHUCO2005

TCHUCO2005

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The good player almost arrives and the great player always arrives

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,

Do you see yourself as a good poker player or do you think you are amongst the best poker players ?

Anyway, my real question is what is the difference between good poker players and the best poker players ?

"best" players perform slightly better than "good" players :cool:

Of course, that isn't luck or some magical ability. It likely comes from more study away from the tables, more dedication to the game and probably more volume of games. Learning and study only go so far, but the best players also have experience and that means lots of losing...lots of losing...and then some winning thrown in there too :D

I know that the "luck element" and variance in poker is not the same as chess, but one of the most famous chess grandmasters Anatoly Karpov once commented on how to become really good at chess. He recommended what he did, "find a local chess club and lose several thousand games."

This is clearly humorous, but the learning process will inevitably carry a ton of losses before success; I'm sure poker is the same way. The very best poker players have likely played a ton more than the recreational player and likely even more volume of games than the regular grinders.

Imo, the best poker players put in the time it takes to become the best in the world. They didn't get there by studying 2 nights a week for an hour.

They study almost every day. Skip a few sessions if necessary and hit the lab to work on weak parts of their games.

Good players may or may not put in the time to study. They might take the approach of experience through playing hands instead of grinding a solver ect.

Yes, a "little" extra work such as studying can be a key difference. The ones who study poker away from the tables more are clearly more likely to succeed once they are in those games.

The best players achieve the best results. Good players achieve good results. I think the only difference is the results. At the moment I consider myself a good player. :)

Good enough for me; you are a good player :)

Am i one not the best, Not even in my dreams. Am I a good player, I dont honestly know.

What I do know it to be one of the best you need to take the game seriously. You dont need to play daily but study every day if possible. Poker is a fun game that is easy to learn but will take a lifetime t master. Has anyone really mastered it? Doubtfully but the closer you are the closer you would be to being the best in the world.
Haha, yeah you are a good poker player in my book :)

Of course it all comes down to your comparison though; it is all relational. Humbleness or not, I am pretty sure that at a poker table with all pro players, I'm the fish...simple as that. Of course, that just means I'm not yet one of the "best players" there, but in my homegames and the smallest of stakes, then yeah I might be one of the better players too ;)

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
"best" players perform slightly better than "good" players :cool:

Of course, that isn't luck or some magical ability. It likely comes from more study away from the tables, more dedication to the game and probably more volume of games. Learning and study only go so far, but the best players also have experience and that means lots of losing...lots of losing...and then some winning thrown in there too :D

I know that the "luck element" and variance in poker is not the same as chess, but one of the most famous chess grandmasters Anatoly Karpov once commented on how to become really good at chess. He recommended what he did, "find a local chess club and lose several thousand games."

This is clearly humorous, but the learning process will inevitably carry a ton of losses before success; I'm sure poker is the same way. The very best poker players have likely played a ton more than the recreational player and likely even more volume of games than the regular grinders.

Yes, a "little" extra work such as studying can be a key difference. The ones who study poker away from the tables more are clearly more likely to succeed once they are in those games.

Good enough for me; you are a good player :)

Haha, yeah you are a good poker player in my book :)

Of course it all comes down to your comparison though; it is all relational. Humbleness or not, I am pretty sure that at a poker table with all pro players, I'm the fish...simple as that. Of course, that just means I'm not yet one of the "best players" there, but in my homegames and the smallest of stakes, then yeah I might be one of the better players too ;)

Truly honored by your comment. Thank you.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I consider myself a good player but nevertheless I consider myself a beginner. In my opinion, the best players take first places in tournaments, good players just get prizes. :)

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

I am not on that list ... I have a long way to go ... and the difference between good players and great players is that great players are already established and play without any pressure, they just enjoy the game ... and the others are looking for that !!

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't even know if I visited such pages if I was the best player. The best player among the good is someone who can quickly change tactics, had a great skill, quickly navigate a situation, have good intuition, and have good analytical and mathematical skills.
And a little luck)).

Dimission

Dimission

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there are a lot of good players. But the best players have the right mix of luck, daring and knowledge.

LadderingUp

LadderingUp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO, the avg player today is pretty good. There's so much content and free study material available, its impossible to be interested in poker and not stumble into something that makes you better. The difference between good and the best, is how much of those resources they use to open the next level and how much time and effort they are willing or able to devote. There is a level of natural ability, which most equate to luck, but its really more natural math skills or strategy skills, but enough hard work can overcome that. :)