Good bye, limit hold'em!

Nitram_80

Nitram_80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had gone back to playing limit hold'em because I needed a change but I think I am done with it forever. I discovered that you need 50/50 skill/luck but alot of times its more luck involved. I have not really made any money even thoug I play tight and smarter then most players I saw. If you cant get any hands then you aint really going to win because you cant bluff and idiots call you down to the river. Its frustrating to have AK and have one idiot call you down to the river with bottom pair and big slick didnt connect. I read Slanky's 'Small Stakes Hold'em' and thought it was a good book but I guess my luck is just that bad. I am going back to NL where you can make these fish pay for calling with trash. Anyone else feel like this about limit hold'em?

Beriac

Beriac

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welcome back to the dark side.

That's the single thing that I feel distinguishes NL from Limit in a good way: the discerning player can make the fishies pay dearly for the privilege of trying to suck out.

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah...I don't know how people play it . I have patience, but not enough for Limit.

Nitram_80

Nitram_80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tried to stick with it for a month and at first I made some money but then lost it all .I been playing NL for a few minutes and realized how much I missed it.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mastering limit holdem makes a person a better overall player. It is best to treat it like a different game like Omaha or Stud. I believe playing the occasional limit holdem game helps my no-limit skills by testing my judgment of odds more often per hand.

I love limit holdem, but I agree that any fish will chase for another 25 or 50 cents. I have my best results at $1/$2 or more because a raise carries more weight. Sometimes I do alright at .50/$1.

D

Dingodaddy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
on the flip side, you can (correctly) chase most of your draws. One good run can = a lot of money

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It appears you don't fully appreciate that when you have acceptable pot odds, you're supposed to chase in limit holdem. For example, let's say that after the river has been dealt, the only other player in the pot has bet $1, and there's now $10 in the pot. You think you're beat, but if your hand wins just 10% of the time, calling is the right move by a slim margin. Compare calling to folding. Out of 10 times you call, you lose $1 more nine times and win the $10 once for a small net gain.

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is someone's sig...It's a good quote:

"Limit poker is a science, but no-limit is an art. In limit, you are shooting at a target. In no-limit, the target comes alive and shoots back at you."

-Jack Strauss

dinosdynasty

dinosdynasty

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love that quote, it is so true. I play alot more limit because I still go on tilt too easy (although I am working at it) and can manage my swings better in limit. NL and tilt is a bad combo. I have been playing a ton of Stud lately, taking a break from Hold'em and Omaha. I wish pokerstars would get some Horse tournies

Nitram_80

Nitram_80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dinosdynasty said:
I love that quote, it is so true. I play alot more limit because I still go on tilt too easy (although I am working at it) and can manage my swings better in limit. NL and tilt is a bad combo. I have been playing a ton of Stud lately, taking a break from Hold'em and Omaha. I wish Pokerstars would get some Horse tournies

I have more swings in limit then NL. In fact thats how the game has gone for me . One minute I win some and then I loose it . I do agree with the guy who said you should almost always call on the river for 1 bet . I also know about the free card , pot odds, and all those things Slanky's book talks about. Unfortunately even with all this knowledge I cant seem to win . I have seen donkeys play almost every hand and increase their stack and my stack goes down while waiting for good cards. Maybe the game just doesnt like me :(