Good or bad for the game?

I

Ian mcdonough

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are a number of players who use "speech play "to affect other players games most recently Will Kassouf and before him Tony G. My question is do we think that this is good or bad for the game of poker? I find this entertaining to watch brief clips of this behaviour but admittedly would find this bad to play at the same table as. Thoughts?

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's good for the game as long as it doesn't go to far which i think Tony G did at times.They need to remember they are professionals playing in'front of an audience.I also wish they would dress like they don't live in a homeless shelter as'well.At'least smart casual some of them turn up looking right states.But then the people who run the tournaments should apply some sort of dress code.

I

Ian mcdonough

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's good for the game as long as it doesn't go to far which i think Tony G did at times.They need to remember they are professionals playing in'front of an audience.I also wish they would dress like they don't live in a homeless shelter as'well.At'least smart casual some of them turn up looking right states.But then the people who run the tournaments should apply some sort of dress code.
Tony G repeatedly crossed the line. His aim was to put better players off their games. I agree there should also be a dress code for games

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have seen Tony G. , in heads up play, leave his seat, walkaround to the other player and get right in his face with trash talk. That is unacceptable behavior to me and should not be allowed.

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that is presence and personality on the table. Sure, disrespect never should be accepted. I don’t like any kind of speech play on the tactical side to try and confuse me or to 'speech' me into calling or folding, shoving...

I

Ian mcdonough

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never experienced this in live play myself but I know I would not find it enjoyable. Kassouf added tanking also to put ppl off I would find this so annoying and would call the clock on him constantly if he kept doing it

I

Ian mcdonough

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have seen Tony G. , in heads up play, leave his seat, walkaround to the other player and get right in his face with trash talk. That is unacceptable behavior to me and should not be allowed.
This is totally unacceptable in the game don't know how the said player could keep his cool tbh

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
I think that talking to your opponents at the same table is not bad ... as long as we do it with respect ... but I do not agree when they speak to you to deconcentrate at the time you are making a bet .. or when one is trying to decide what to do in a determined hand ...!

mariuspoker1

mariuspoker1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are a number of players who use "speech play "to affect other players games most recently Will Kassouf and before him Tony G. My question is do we think that this is good or bad for the game of poker? I find this entertaining to watch brief clips of this behaviour but admittedly would find this bad to play at the same table as. Thoughts?
In my opinion should be a general rule at poker table to not be allowed to talk after a hand started until the hand was finished.That way can be avoid scams of players who tries to manipulate others game by talking....

I

Ian mcdonough

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion should be a general rule at poker table to not be allowed to talk after a hand started until the hand was finished.That way can be avoid scams of players who tries to manipulate others game by talking....
I found it particularly annoying when Kassouf constantly talked when the action was on him I understand trying to get reads but a lot of the time his opponents were not even replying

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would love to see these ass hats in my old home games catch a beating.

A

Andrey Zubkov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's interesting to watch, a rather unusual approach. The main thing is not to copy))

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not sure I have seen what is being posted about. I am going to search for it on Youtube now. It sounds entertaining.

:evil:Zer0:evil:

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well upon watching a few videos on Youtube I have come to the conclusion that Tony G is a blubbering idiot. No, that type of badgering and belittling should not be allowed at the table.

:evil:Zer0:evil:

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to me a good strategy to confuse opponents and is entertaining for the game in many opportunities:p

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
show your strength - a strong game of poker...
stories at the table let the old people say...)
:wavey:

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe there is a line and Tony G crosses it too much

M

Mepper95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is fine when they talk after a hand is finished. But talking during the hand is quite annoying I think. Definitely when the other player needs all the time for thinking about what to do.

I

Ian mcdonough

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe there is a line and Tony G crosses it too much
Definitely crosses it too often especially with his rants at other players. There is a good scene with Andrew Roble from the big game a few years ago which is amusing but most of the other footage I've seen is way out of line

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like table talk

I think it adds a different dimension to the game. The psychological approach. And, as you say is very entertaining. I personally don't talk that much in online poker. I do however chat it up at my live games. I talk mainly to attempt to get information.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I believe that conversations during the game are not important. In my opinion it is more important to be focused on the outcome of the game.

Top 10 Games