going the distance

M

marizano

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i want to know from you guys, the best way to stick it out and stay around in a long tournament.

ratmantoo

ratmantoo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience Patience Patience Position Patience Patience and ..oh did I mention patience!

Patience is the key. Play your position, know your ranges, table image, but be patient. Players tend to overplay hands like Ax or small pockets. Learn to pay attention to how a person plays, see what they tend to fold/ raise, how often they bluff etc...in other words make notes.

The more information we have on the other players the more likely we are to make an informed decision on that play, but we need to wait for that situation to arise (or set it up ;) ).

Remember you win in poker when the OTHER person makes mistakes! By minimizing our mistakes (reviewing and plugging leaks in our hands) and only playing in favorable circumstances.

player7000

player7000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I know what this guy means! I play with A LOT of patience! But a lot of times you only see a few premium hands to play! I usually make it to the $ but just barely! Can you guys elaborate a little more on postion plays and types of hands to risk playing! I know it is all situational, but just in general!!!

Grundy

Grundy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I might throw some coffee in the middle of those patiences.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would add some skill in with the patience, too. And don't ask what skill you need. An entire book and lots of experience can't be put into one thread.

Paranormal

Paranormal

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agressive poker is winning poker!!!!!!!!!!

dont be afraid to take risks.. esp early if you build a big stack then you tighten up.. dont give away your chips.. and when you play .. keep in the back of your head.. Fold or raise.. what i mean by that is either have a hand you raise with or fold.. make sense.. with that base you will do well and also not play crap hands.. once you have mastered that then play your oponents.. i wish i knew how to video my games i would explain my moves and what im doing. to some it seems crazy but be asured i know what im doing at all times..

BTW i do make mistakes everyone does the key is to have your mistakes not cost you 1/4 or more of your stack

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Along with everything add the key word, 'SURVIVAL'. This should be the concept anytime you believe you are about to enter into a coinflip, especially early.

Survival is not a concept found at ring games. It is a key concept in tourney poker.

I have noticed that amongst those who have shown success around here, even when the cards are only so so, changes come in big jumps. One might easily sit for 20-30 hands without doing anything more than melting away, when all of a sudden the big situation comes. It may or may not occur with a big hand, and often comes in a limped BB with a fabulous flop. Yes, there are those who think early aggression pays off. And it can. But it won't if those same folks can't change gears once they have established a nice stack. It is uncontrolled greed that will lead these folks to push harder than necessary, and then when things don't go well, to go full tilt and blow it all away.

Of course the alternative is to pre-order a few hours of great cards at a particular time. Pre-order by calling 1-800-forluck.:eek:

Last edited: