Give up?

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When we start in poker we believe that everything will be rosy. One day we have a good tournament and we believe we are up to any player.
It turns out that the next day you have a downturn and no matter how hard you try, your AK AQ AT are beaten and with those defeats your bankroll goes into a tailspin.
that tends to extend sometimes for several days, that is when the questions come.
Should I really go on?
Am I good enough for this?
I'm wasting my time?

My answer to this would be that you do not be discouraged, as everything there are good days and bad days
Should you go on
if you are passionate about playing each hand and in you there is that desire to be better. keep going
Am I good enough?
By questioning yourself, you are already on your way to becoming a better player, no one is born learned and each hit and badbeat you receive is a learning that you must know how to assimilate, the way to success is to overcome each hit, bleed a little on the ground and then get up again to fight.
If you are going to try, go to the end, and that is where you will really see the result.
Learn from every slump and don't leave the tables, that's where you learn. at the job.

Thank you for reading
Yen Rodriguez:D

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
you said it really beautiful. thanks for this beautiful thread

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
When we start in poker we believe that everything will be rosy. One day we have a good tournament and we believe we are up to any player.
It turns out that the next day you have a downturn and no matter how hard you try, your AK AQ AT are beaten and with those defeats your bankroll goes into a tailspin.
that tends to extend sometimes for several days, that is when the questions come.

Should I really go on?
I'm wasting my time?

I'm pretty sure that i've had too many times feelings like that ^ but i'm still not giving up lol

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm pretty sure that i've had too many times feelings like that ^ but i'm still not giving up lol

it's like that brother risto234
perseverance perseverance and more perseverance:D

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is like a marathon, you cant win everyday, there are upswings and downswings, keep improving and stick to bankroll management, this is the key to win

Fivefor

Fivefor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If there ever was a game that teaches you about the harsh realities of variance, luck and patience it is poker. The more you learn, understand and appreciate these things while still having fun playing the game the more you build up a tolerance and acceptance of them happening to you.

Of course it's always easier and seems to be human nature to remember the bad beats over the times you were on the receiving end of hitting your one outer on the river but over the long run they do happen to you at the exact frequency that they are supposed to.

And as long as you play within your bankroll you can more easily live with the ups and downs of poker fortunes and misfortunes. One thing you can do as well is just to view your investment into a poker tournament any given day as simply an entertainment expense no different than going to the movies. The big difference is that you are never coming out of the movies with more money in your pocket that when you went into the theatre but sometimes, not often, but sometimes you finish your poker tournament with a big prize payout that makes the experience one of the most satisfying you'll ever have....one that is like a drug that keeps you coming back to the tables for more, MORE MOOOOORE!!! lol

Have a good one and see you at the tables brother!!

YYfourU

YYfourU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you, reminded me that dreAms can be turned into reality when words like those are spoken

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, a lot of patience and control of emotions is essential, being persistent, I loved what you wrote, a constant feedback to evolve in the game:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's not a real reason giving up if you are playing great, trying to turn valuable time to learning poker, and profiting in long term or not loosing so much in it by long term.
Sometimes I can be upset too how things going around in my poker carrier. But you are not supposed to play your highest level every day, you can practice, watching some motivational poker videos, and strenghten your game in the mean time.
You can do this, just believe in it, and make smart steps.
GL on the tables. :ridinghor

garibe

garibe

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice post!
Poker is actually helping me with LIFE itself. I am anxious, nervous and I have problems losing. Understanding that this is part of the process, gives me more strength to deal with real life situations now.

I play micro, and you know, a lot of weird stuff happens at micros lol. Now, instead of raging for a hand I just remember that it happens to everyone else.

Regarding being on a downswing for too long. I actually stop playing whenever my career is giving me a hard time, stressing me. I definetely need to be away from a poker table when that happens. A week after and I have my mind clear, go poker and have fun again. The other way is to give it more hours of study than play.

VikyGia

VikyGia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Opinion

Hello friend, in poker everything is probabilities, all the cards have a chance to win but there are some that have more possibilities than others, it is always indicated that AK is the best hand but that is only pre-flop, a person with 7, 2 without Pre flop chance you can win just by flirting by looking at the cards, that is why you must protect your good hands by increasing the bets to try to eliminate those players who only seek to win with anything, that happens to all of us, I lost with AA against 99 and well, they eliminated me from the tournament.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a frustration game. Sooner or later, absolutely all players find themselves in a situation that knocks them off balance by their illogicality and injustice. The frustrated gambler is unable to make the right decisions. You have to learn to accept these realities of poker, and frustration turns into indifference. When you stop paying attention to your frustration and can focus solely on the game, your game will certainly become better and more profitable.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Poker is a frustration game.

So did you felt frustration after very early elimination tonight (specially as you won some other day ?!?) ...

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So did you felt frustration after very early elimination tonight (specially as you won some other day ?!?) ...
No, there was no disappointment.I treat victories and defeats the same(nothing supernatural):rolleyes:

G

gichka97

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the beginning I was thinking in the same way as you and made one crucial decision to stop that. After some years I started to play it without thinking it so much without the possible bad circumstances and the most important - to play for fun and to enjoy the game. When I started to play like that my game improves.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, Yen, you are right. Many ups and downs, yoyos and roller coasters in poker. Consistency, never giving up, learning from mistakes, patience, all of that. It's like riding a different bull every time. I have learned over the years to just jump up, dust yourself off and jump back in the saddle. Well put, my friend.

Batarang96

Batarang96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Something that a lot of people don't realize is, that to be competitive, you have to put in a lot of work.

Not just grinding at the tables, but reading books, watching content, discussing hands and strategies, and looking for new ways to develop yourself as a player.

So, if you are thinking about giving up, because you are frustrated with your results, realize that there are a ton of ways for you to improve your game.

Plut41

Plut41

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Something that a lot of people don't realize is, that to be competitive, you have to put in a lot of work.

Not just grinding at the tables, but reading books, watching content, discussing hands and strategies, and looking for new ways to develop yourself as a player.

So, if you are thinking about giving up, because you are frustrated with your results, realize that there are a ton of ways for you to improve your game.
Exactly! I play casually and i don't think I progress too much, but then again am just having fun playing small stakes.

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Should I really go on?
I'm wasting my time?

My answer to this would be that you do not be discouraged, as everything there are good days and bad days
Should you go on
if you are passionate about playing each hand and in you there is that desire to be better. keep going
Am I good enough?
By questioning yourself, you are already on your way to becoming a better player, no one is born learned and each hit and badbeat you receive is a learning that you must know how to assimilate, the way to success is to overcome each hit, bleed a little on the ground and then get up again to fight.
If you are going to try, go to the end, and that is where you will really see the result.
Learn from every slump and don't leave the tables, that's where you learn. at the job.

Thank you for reading
Yen Rodriguez:D
Downswings are normal, and natural, no matter how good a player you are.

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
What nice words, and so it will be, I will take advantage of the time I have to improve on this, because I love this game.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
first you need to play a certain distance and then it will already be clear where you have mistakes and at what moments you need to work on the game and of course you can just get into a downstreak