game play

TheBandit

TheBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
people have commented that I am a tight player and could be way better if I open up my game?? I do not understand what they mean by this. I will fold good hands if the betting gets crazy but otherwise I do well. When people are aggressively betting I will tighen up my game. let me know if you got any advice

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I like to play cautiously and I prefer a conservative game style. That is, I always try to wait for strong cards and use the aggressiveness of my opponents in my favor.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
people have commented that I am a tight player and could be way better if I open up my game?? I do not understand what they mean by this. I will fold good hands if the betting gets crazy but otherwise I do well. When people are aggressively betting I will tighen up my game. let me know if you got any advice

Ignore anyone who tells you are tight, it's your play that matters not what people think you should be doing.

CTAPYXA

CTAPYXA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone has the right to choose the style of play and direction. Don't listen. Act the way you want it.

W

who115

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to bluff once in a while if you want to go deep in a tournament. To not get blinded out you need to steal the blinds once in a while.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, I'm against aggressive play, because c AK you can run into on the flop for a set of 6 and then get skewered, it is better to play gradually, just if you behave aggressively, you can not hit the flop, or not get there on the turn or will not come on the river and then what to do with the aggression? No, I, for gradual play, it's safer that way.

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes it isn't a bad idea to switch gears

play a little loose aggressive, and open up your hand range

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends how tight you are. If you are extremely tight and enter pot only with big pairs you need to open up a little. If you are just playing normal tight style this is also what i prefer for my game. You first need to learn how to properly play your good hands which are easier to play before trying to exploit also some not so good hands in certain situations. Saying that if you see that the table is extremely passive and tight opening up a little can easily allow you to take some pots which otherwise will be lost for you.

Goldog

Goldog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You don’t say what kind of games but I’ll answer generally.

Your tight style earns you respect after a few rounds. The dividend will turn negative if you’ve “ always got it “. You opponents just need to fold. Once they figure that out you will be vulnerable.

Your profit comes not only from playing the best cards. But also getting value. Some of that value comes from proper bluff frequency.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Had a buddy who would play low stakes cash games. He would only play AA and KK. Not exaggerating.....if he was in the hand you could rely on him having one of these.

So, of course he always had bad beat stories about his AA getting cracked.

One day he says to me, "You know, I'm thinking I could play AK or AQ on the button." I was ROTF. Laughing mostly because I knew that he wouldn't change his range - which meant he was just trying to lure me into a mental game the next time he gets AA on the button and I'm in the hand !

Does this sound familiar? lol

Consider playing some low buy-in tournies online to practice opening your range - if you want to.
RIP Steve!
Good luck !

Last edited:
T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People can think whatever of me I just play the way I play.

Sometimes I am tight other times I am not

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Taking playing advice from your opponents, hmmmmmmmmmm, no thanks.

TheBandit

TheBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like that response and you what it works took 1st again tonight out of 125. So I will continue with my play style and stop second guessing myself

Everyone has the right to choose the style of play and direction. Don't listen. Act the way you want it.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are doing well, that is great. It is still a good idea to take a critical look at your style and make gradual improvements. Look at the range that you play in the different positions. This is usually an area to expand on over time as your skill level improves. Also work on stealing the blinds and bluffs when you are in hands with minimal aggression and the hand gets to the turn river with no betting. These are common spots that the average player misses out on, but you begin to appreciate because of tournament play.

Good luck at the tables.

TheBandit

TheBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I opened up my range tonight and it did not work well for me. I will go back to my original style F what they say at the table. I think they just want a chance at my chips more. thanks for all the comments.

TheBandit

TheBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the suited hands worked out better than 9 10 or jack 9

ReoRekop

ReoRekop

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game where the aggressive player is rewarded as simple as that

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have already found your game. If something works it does not need to be repaired.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more hands they play, the more hands you should play. Jusr less % than them. Or you can be a total nit for the rest of your poker life and keep winning as you say you do.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
You can use any style of game that helps you win more money.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play differently in the game, but if you are a serious and aggressive player, it’s better to continue playing aggressively in the game and only on a good map so that you have more chances to win, but if you are a weak player, then it’s better to play passively, and only play aggressively in those moments when you are sure that your cards will win 100%, and better not make a lot of aggressive mistakes, but a lot of things depend on where you play cash games or tournaments!

Top 10 Games