Funny moment

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing a live game about 12 years ago and it was after I had made way too much money for being private security for folks who thought they were way more important than they were. I had gotten a bonus because I had saved them money and headaches by pointing out some tips I knew of where we were at. A friend talked me into playing a private game with some pros and well off folks. My friend was a pro and at the time I was for profit, but by no means a pro.

So, I was getting bored. I had just come from an island nation where there were more beaches than anything else. I had things on my mind that was not poker and the game was mostly guys that knew one another. Well, I got some decent cards and my friend did too. We were the only ones. The buy in was rather steep by my current standards, but back then I had the bank account to handle nice games. So, flop comes and I wink at my friend. I went, I got this and pushed some chips a little toward the middle, but not in it. He goes, no no, I do, with a slightly bigger stack. We repeat this till we have done like a ten bet.

One of the pros who knew him and had heard stories of our time in far off exotic places getting shot at realized we had not actually announced bets or actually put any in the center. Technically we had, but still could be said to not have done it. The pro also realized that the looks on our faces were barely restrained smiles. The old man grumbles, tells both of us to shut the h up, and turns our cards over. He then awards the middle pile to the winner.

The next hour was comments from the pro about how Marines need to be beaten daily or they think they are funny and similar comments. Seems he also remembered we like to prank anyone and everyone. The entire table was rolling at his treatment of us. It also broke the duldrums.

Man, I am jonesing for a live game with people who are worth the time. My current state of playing ability would have it be a terrible game monetarily, but that is not why I play. For money is against everyone else. For fun is when I am playing folks who are able to discuss more than serious matters and can crack a smile when something silly happens.

SecksyGambler

SecksyGambler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, this story actually just made my day. I always thought poker was so serious, but you've changed my perspective just a bit here. Thank you.

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, this story actually just made my day. I always thought poker was so serious, but you've changed my perspective just a bit here. Thank you.

People nowadays have no clue how to enjoy the game. There is a reason that people with big personalities used to rule the day. Now everyone is all about math and making it a science. Online sucked out a lot of the fun in a game meant to be more about personality.