Folding AA on my very first hand in a tournament

fcumred

fcumred

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this completely insane ?

I was in a $3 MTT and I picked up AA on my very first hand.

I was on the button so things looked great till three players before me went all in.

My mates could not believe I folded.

As it happens I would have won, but I felt that to put all my chips in on the very first hand with no knowledge of the table was suicidal.

Did I completely lose the plot or can anyone else understand my way of thinking..

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't fold basically because it was a huge pot, if I lose I can join another tourney.

fcumred

fcumred

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't fold basically because it was a huge pot, if I lose I can join another tourney.

Yes, thats true, but I am trying to learn discipline and control, and OK it was only $3, not a fortune, but the principle surely must be the same for a 10 cent game or a $10,000 one.

If I can get away from the "Oh stuff it, its only a small buy in" mentality then surely that will help me out in the future.

I wouldnt use the argument "I can always join another comp" if I was playing in the wsop so surely I shouldnt use it online in small stakes...

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We have had discussions on when to fold AA preflop. I believe if by other players going out ne folding would guarentee moving up the prize money, I would fold.

E.G. Final table, 5 left, you are in 5th place, a long way off the 4th. 5th place pays say $300, 4th pays $600, 3rd pays $1,000, 2nd pays $1,600, 1st pays $4,000. I`m on big blind and they have all pushed all in, I would fold - I`m almost guarenteed to move up 1 spot at least, at best to 2nd place if the chip leader takes down the pot.

However, I feel in the position u r in, $3 buy in, etc u folded :eek: WOW!!! At this stage u were ahead of them all, apart from someone else sitting with AA.

As bob said, push in all your chips - if u r busted, buy in to another. If you can`t afford this, u r playing at too high a level for your bankroll.

And yes, under the circumstance, it was probably the most insaine move u could have made, sorry, but true ;)

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
AA is the best possible hand preflop, so basicaly you folded the best hand.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would never fold AA pre flop its the best starting hand!! you could have had 4 peoples chip stacks and even if they had KK QQ and JJ you would stil be favourite!!

Strange move IMO!

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well the more hands you have to go up against, the less your chance of winning. Though vs 3 players, you still have a slight edge.

This is an instant call because a) its only $3 and b) you opponents can be shoving with a whole range of hands that you crush.

C

CfPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, it's completely insane :)

There are a couple of times you'd fold AA preflop, but this is definately not one of them.

You made a comment about not having any knowledge of the table - what knowledge do you need? You have the best hand in the game - get the chips in the middle.

K

Kick The Bucket

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you win this hand then you have a bucket load of chips and a great chance to win the tournament. I would never fold this, personally.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is an instant call because a) its only $3 and b) you opponents can be shoving with a whole range of hands that you crush.

c) it is very early in the tourny, so very little time invested.

calibanboy

calibanboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have called.

You are correct about discipline and the need to treat every game/hand with equal respect regardless of cost/buy-in.

However you should not do this at the expense of wasting a postion like this.

I cannot find a situation where you are not at least 47% favourite Quadruple your stack in this positon.

Even if one of the others has AA too then you are at least 50% to double up.

............ If however you are a really really really good player and believe that your expectation of winning the Tny is better if you miss this hand and play other hands then fine. But blimey - you will need to be one hell of a player.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sorry but that's just bad. Even if you're not a favorite, when you win you quadrouple up. Calling is just such a +ev move.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I genuinely am not...

:D

Well Ok.

10/10 people have said that folding the best hand you could be dealt preflop is a stupid move. I'll make that 11/11.

Hopefully this answers your initial post?

:rolleyes:

fin2head

fin2head

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA fold

First hand tough call,but your call. It depends on the game value of the hand big risk vs little risk or investment.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First hand tough call,but your call.

FFS what's tough about it? It's the easiest pre-flop call there is. You have a pair of aces, that is the best possible starting hand. You of course have correct pot odds to call any bet. If you don't hit the call button with a big smile on your face, then you just don't understand the game at all.

I won't discuss your 2nd sentance as I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Go plug hands into a poker calculator. You're over 50% against any 3 hands, possibly 60+% with Ax hands in. If you quadruple up in a microstakes tournament you can sit out until the money and still have 2k when the bubble breaks (not reccommending this). If you don't play another hand you can about break even on avg. Fistpump instacall.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not saying your full of it ... but HH please.

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why would someone make that up WVH, or admit to it? On the first hand HH doesn't add any info just verification.

J

JJWalker5

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Insane! Would of been a good call if you would of lost it anyway. lol.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not saying your full of it ... but HH please.

uh , I think you are :D but it would be cool to see it .

make it 12/12 :D but I do understand your concern unlike most . I can't dispute their odds cause they know that stuff but IMO you're probably going to be beat by some crap most of the time.

but having the best to start with and the chance to quadruple up on first hand is to good a shot to miss . first hand of a $3 mtt with three all ins in front I might call with any pair just to gamble for the chance to quad up .

bad beats can come anytime with any hand so you can only get your money in with best hand and hope it holds . what was the hand that put you out ?

D

deton8whore

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see myself folding aces if there are 3 others all in. Why?
I'd put one player on A-(face), the other 2 on under pairs, maybe the other way around. Anyways, I'll take my chances with that should it happen.

Especially in an MTT.. start with 6K and not have to do nothing until the 1st break ends... no donk out for ya.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker