Flush vs straight

misskrystal4

misskrystal4

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I strongly feel that a Straight is more difficult to get than the flush. Who agrees?

A fox 666

A fox 666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There will be many consonants and those who disagree. There is pure mathematics. It says that the probability of collecting a straight is 0.39%. The probability of collecting a flush is 0.2%. A straight should be collected 2 times more often than a flash. But if you take one game session (it doesn’t matter if this is a cache or a tournament), then the probabilities can change dramatically! It's poker! You can never collect a street during one session at all)))))

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There will be many consonants and those who disagree. There is pure mathematics. It says that the probability of collecting a straight is 0.39%. The probability of collecting a flush is 0.2%. A straight should be collected 2 times more often than a flash. But if you take one game session (it doesn’t matter if this is a cache or a tournament), then the probabilities can change dramatically! It's poker! You can never collect a street during one session at all)))))

The probabilities can not change. That's the whole idea of a probability.
What you probably wanted to say, is that - even tho straights should happen twice as often as flushes, it can happen that during one session, you see more flushes then straights.

But the probability of it happening, has to stay the same !

A

Arthur ZM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t know what about the percentage probability of getting flush or straight, but it seems to me that flush manages to collect more often than straigt.

Haze777s

Haze777s

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I strongly feel that a Straight is more difficult to get than the flush. Who agrees?
I do not agree, for me it is easier to get a street

I don’t know what about the percentage probability of getting flush or straight, but it seems to me that flush manages to collect more often than straigt.
By % it is easier to collect a street

B

brazilpescador

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that happened to me and the feeling of having an old and dirty shoe in my mouth

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Large HH should show having more straights than flushes. Unless you are chasing flushes and folding potential straights. It is contingent on bet sizes on the hands that fold (pot odds). All things equal, those are accurate on straights having a higher percentage of winning.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
I think, in my modest observations, that we see more flushes completed due to the fact that players do try to complete a flush more often than a straight.
The rationale being, that any card as long as is the same color as yours will deliver the Flush, while the straight needs to be the exact sequence! :call2:

fredastar777

fredastar777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
l dont know math as well as l shood , but in my games l collect flush match often than straitch, but reason of this can be starting hands l used to play...

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mathematically a flush is harder and I agree, although I very seldom get either. So I stopped crashing them.

damkoMTK

damkoMTK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always wondered why Straight Flush is better then Four of a Kind

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well if you are needing just 1 card for the straight, the chances are less likely than getting that 1 card for the flush. Overall though the straight does happen more often. It seems like that 1 card for the straight never comes when you need it for sure.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A flush is surely more rare than a straight; I think the problem is thinking about it counter-intuitively. Flushes are tough because there are only 13 cards of each suit and you need five of them for a flush. However, a straight can "overlap" 5-high straight with Ace,2,3,4,5 but then also a 6-high straight is possible via 6,5,4,3,2. This "overlap" works all the way up through King and then back to Ace again because A, K, Q, J, T (10) is a straight. Also, note that suits are irrelevant for straights. Take the 6-high straight example from above. Each number card could be any combination of suits.
When you approach the hands this way, then you begin to realize that a straight isn't as rare to get as a flush.

R

Richard Grant

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Possibly the result of pre-flop ranges. If your playing same suited hands a lot but a lot less connectors maybe your not flopping many straight draws.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree. In my experience, I get a flush more often than a straight. Although, according to mathematics, a straight should turn out more often than a flush.

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Statistically a straight will turn up more often than a flush, but your thinking during a game can be skewed by what you are dealt and what the flop brings. However if the game could last indefinately there would be more straights than flushes

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is just a matter of perspective, probability-wise, straights are more probable than flushes. But in reality, players are more prone to play more combinations of suited hands than connecting hands.

Likewise, I believe I've seen more Royal Flushes than Straight Flushes, even though Royal Flush is the rarest hand in Poker. But in reality, people are less likely to fold a suited 10,J,Q,K,A than any other suited connector combination.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say that both of them almost fall out the same way.

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Post flop you have 8 outs on an open end straight, and 9 to the flush if you need 1 card, so post flop it's still the flush.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

It's harder to get a flush, which is why it is higher in the rank of hands. However, straights can often make you more money than flushes, because straights are easier to conceal. :)

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I get a flush more often than a straight but I more often play to hit a flush

F

Fatman0912

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well you cannot beat statistics and probability. If you play an infinite amount of hands you will see more straights than flushes. Sometimes there can be certain periods of times that you see more flushes, and that can happen for sure.

T

Tyler Finnimore

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IDK to me at least it always seemed easier to get a straight seems forever since i got my last flush online lol

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Having read all the above, when you're sitting at the table and you have a chance of filling either a flush or a straight, The odds of making the flush are about 4.2/1, and the odds of making the straight are 4.9/1.

Full Flush Poker