Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have long believed the truth that fish are the biggest source of winnings for poker players. Lately, my little home group has gotten crazy, with three or four of the guys at the online table are not only fish, but have become whales (defined as even bigger fish).
These guys see the flop over 50% of the time and chase to the turn and river on a dream.
Typically, against one or two fish, a good player should be able to take a lot of chips. But what I am seeing is the number of fish going deep into the hand, means that the odds of at least one of them catching increases the likelyhood that I will have my good/monster hand outdrawn.
For context, we play limit holdem, which of course limits the ability to push players off their weak draws.
Any suggestions on how you would take on this school/table full of fish/whales would be appreciated.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well i don't know, just wait for the good hand and bet hard. And then hope nobody hits.

A fox 666

A fox 666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With so many fish, there is no point in bluffing and trying to steal the blinds! You just have to wait for a premium hand and bet to the maximum right away. Sometimes there will be overshoots))) But in most cases the chips will be yours!

J

jeffman123

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play tight and don't bluff! If they are as bad as you say that should be enough. Also make sure to value bet when you do hit a hand.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait until you have a valued, top 10% hand and then play for a win. Do not change what your winning ways are.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Playing in a game like this is a dream and a nightmare. While there is a lot of easy money there is the chance you will have a horrible bad beat much more often. The best thing you can do is bet your strong hands hard and take there chips and just laugh when they win the hand. You just need to remember that long term you will win out over them.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
No particular suggestions I am afraid.

You seem to have summed up so much of what I see in general these days. I keep asking myself is it just me or has poker degenerated somewhat into a gamble fest?

You have nailed the issue when pointing out a solo fish at the table is one thing but with several, the situation is untenable, the table unplayable. It is almost as though something has been in the air this past year, a kind of frustration which I presume links back to the social disruption due to the pandemic.

But the fact remains, it doesn't look like people are raising their game through study and application...

Akinled

Akinled

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I have noticed in my game is that I can exploit fish and whales

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If someone is a whale, they can't be a fish...because whales are mammals :)

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this case, I can refer to myself as a fish. What can you do catch me if you can at the tables of the freeroll tournament.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play hard with a good hand without bluffing and you will beat them.

LadderingUp

LadderingUp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is hard no matter what. Lol

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

To begin with, I do not play pot limit for that reason that you say I play without limit and the possibilities of the fish are greatly reduced if you bet defending your premium hands, obviously sometimes there is always a little fish that pays with marginal hands and flies them and you have to accept that part of the game greetings!