Financial independence

Sansam

Sansam

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you. Poker must be combined in parallel with your career development in your specialization, otherwise you can lose both there and there)

P

pltelles

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have no expectations from renowned professional players. Their reality is a dream, I think we should have our feet on the ground. Achieving a reasonable monthly income (in my case I think over $1,000) from poker is my initial goal.

TCHUCO2005

TCHUCO2005

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
great post from M13A13, we live on dreams otherwise we can consider ourselves dead... of course all poker monsters are stabilized financially, so according to the card participant's post it's clear that we should keep our jobs and when we can play games... and of course dream and dream and dream.

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think professional players have their own resources and sponsors too, I don't believe that only with your personal work you can become a professional, you need a sponsor.

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
Every day I see poker players looking for freeroll passwords and freeroll tickets.
It is common to see the same players mirroring players like Negreanu and Live Boeri.
But the important thing is to understand why these players live poker, they can live from poker because they already have financial stability and they can afford to travel the world to play big poker tournaments.
For those of you who are starting out in poker and want something beyond what freerolls can offer, I advise you to play the freerolls whenever possible, but never give up your true professions.
Through their professions and their regular jobs, you can use some of the money to play big online or live poker events, when you win some millionaire event you can quit your regular jobs and live in poker.

Very well said. Leaving stable jobs for uncertainty is dangerous for own self and for family. Do your job or business as it is n play poker for fun . Play big games if you can and if hit big bucks which can be life changing then decide to play poker full time or not.

YYfourU

YYfourU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Last freeroll I played, it was a 50$ prize pool and we had over 2000 entries....and first place was a meazely 9.89$...2000 fighting over 10 bucks, like common! Get a job and enter a real tournament

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Due to my professional life, I don't have a lot of time to study or dream about a poker life. In any case, I love my profession and would never leave it to take an absurd risk of playing poker. My family always comes first! Thus, it could not have this risk as main source of income. I am a programmer with more than 10 years of experience and an excellent job.

On the other hand, I don't discourage anyone from dreaming what they want! GL ALL.

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
completely agree, making a living from poker is hard. you need a lot of time and study. and for someone (most of us) who have a full time job it is difficult to dedicate more time.

Blackchipp

Blackchipp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
financial independence is a great thing, but make this with poker is very dificult, you have to study a lot to survive a 10 or 50 tournaments a day. But is not impossible, some teams of poker can give you a bank roll to use, teach you how to play and pay you to play for them. I like play poker to sport and just like a hobbye. sometimes i like the risk and play danger to fun. gl and see you in the tabbles.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I am retired, so I have a lot of time for poker. I would suggest not to quit the day job until winnings from poker exceeds ones earnings from their day job. And sponsorship is another way of having the money to enter life changing tournaments.

slimwhiz

slimwhiz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am retired, so I have a lot of time for poker. I would suggest not to quit the day job until winnings from poker exceeds ones earnings from their day job. And sponsorship is another way of having the money to enter life changing tournaments.

i love how you said dont quit the day job until winnings from poker exceeds one day job

i make 15 a hour at my job as a cleaner
so if i could make 20 a hour playing poker i think id be very happy doing that more

i really pray one day i get my act together and start winning on a regular basis

anyone have any advice for getting tilted when your deep stacked at a final table
i hope everyone gets the chance to take down a big turny good luck yall
financial freedom is the dream !!!!

I think professional players have their own resources and sponsors too, I don't believe that only with your personal work you can become a professional, you need a sponsor.

i believe it to i really do
having a investor a team or any help from other people is key
if you dont have a good team its hard to win championships
im gona teach my closest friends to play
then pay them to go in turnys
itd be nice to put my friend in a 100 dollar turny an get a good pay day if they get lucky

I think you hit the head of the nail with your title, Financial Independence. Personally, I can never see myself risking money I cannot afford to lose or placing hopes in earning an income from poker. For me to play any kind of a circuit, say the HPT, for instance, I would first need to have the discretionary income to do so. Right now, that's not looking too likely, but you never know.

well i wish you good luck
i think winning tournaments builds confidence
i suggest focus on having fun before the grind ruins the game
but im not that good i dont play enough yet
one day i will rue the day !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in poker it s very important to have a bankroll to play it s a finanial independence.

igrok8503

igrok8503

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, free time is needed, and there must also be a good financial reserve to play for a certain amount of money.
It is hardly possible to combine work and playing online poker. Since good tournaments last at least 5-6 hours.
And as an additional source of income. Playing freeroll can be very small money.

N

Nismo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These are wise words, no one should ever prioritise poker over their profession unless they have somehow won a major tournament that can cover their living costs for at least a few years + a bankroll to continue.

Regarding those posts about building a bankroll from freerolls, it's definitely possible. I started about 2 months ago and have built $130 from freerolls, NL2 and micro tournaments (I've recently graduated from 10c to $1 tournaments). I haven't taken anything out and I don't plan to until I get to at least $10k or I find that the next level of progression is too difficult for me.

Discipline and proper bankroll management is definitely a major part in growing a bankroll from scratch.

igrok8503

igrok8503

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t know, in online poker I think it’s unrealistic to go up in paid tournaments. At freerolls you raise a change, but at paid tournaments you will still lose everything.

N

Nismo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t know, in online poker I think it’s unrealistic to go up in paid tournaments. At freerolls you raise a change, but at paid tournaments you will still lose everything.

I'm finding paid tournaments a lot easier to play than freerolls, there's less crazy play and people play more respectable hands so you're less likely to get outdrawn by trash hands. I play the smaller tournaments where the field is 350-450 people compared to the thousands in freerolls (888 poker). I'm yet to play the CC freeroll on 888 though.

I have to admit going up in tournaments can be a bit of a drag, especially if you're going for the 100 buy-in bankroll strategy

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It is very hard to make it in many professional jobs, whether it be a pro-athlete, Pro-football player, or pro-poker player, they all take hard work and dedication to succeed and become the best in their chosen profession.
Just as in all professional jobs you get the cream of the crop, rising to the top, but this does not mean you should give up playing Poker because you are an amateur player, far from it, there is nothing wrong in playing Poker at an amateur level all the time.
It all depends on what you want from the game that really matters, personally I don't give a hoot if I make money playing Poker, money isn't the be all that drives me, the important part for me is being able to take part and have fun.
I am far too old to become a football superstar, and way too old to start doing back flips, but with poker I can still play and get involved at a level I am comfortable with, it cost's me nothing to play so I am not using my pension to buy into huge tournaments hoping to become rich over night, fairy stories are for children's book's.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

igrok8503

igrok8503

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm finding paid tournaments a lot easier to play than freerolls, there's less crazy play and people play more respectable hands so you're less likely to get outdrawn by trash hands. I play the smaller tournaments where the field is 350-450 people compared to the thousands in freerolls (888 poker). I'm yet to play the CC freeroll on 888 though.

I have to admit going up in tournaments can be a bit of a drag, especially if you're going for the 100 buy-in bankroll strategy

At 888 Poker, you can win a little in freerolls. But luck may smile and you can win much more.

N

Nismo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At 888 poker, you can win a little in freerolls. But luck may smile and you can win much more.

Yea, most freerolls are pretty much a lottery in 888, though you can make small amounts by getting ITM and start converting it in paid micro tournaments or SnGs

igrok8503

igrok8503

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea, most freerolls are pretty much a lottery in 888, though you can make small amounts by getting ITM and start converting it in paid micro tournaments or SnGs

Yes, before the temporary blocking at 888, I did just that.
I played freerolls, then what I won in them, then I played Sit and Go, and satellites. Most of the satellites were Step 1 - 3, and I usually played tickets from these satellites in Sit and Go too.
Now, after the break, I still play in the mobile poker Club rooms and in the Americas Card Room. I mainly play on Americas Card Room. But I still can't manage to raise my bankroll.
But I hope that I can slowly build up my bankroll. Although on Americas Card Room there are completely different conditions for playing Sit and Go and satellite step, as well as other conditions for playing freerolls.

V

viacheslavtezikov

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every day I see poker players looking for freeroll passwords and freeroll tickets.
It is common to see the same players mirroring players like Negreanu and Live Boeri.
But the important thing is to understand why these players live poker, they can live from poker because they already have financial stability and they can afford to travel the world to play big poker tournaments.
For those of you who are starting out in poker and want something beyond what freerolls can offer, I advise you to play the freerolls whenever possible, but never give up your true professions.
Through their professions and their regular jobs, you can use some of the money to play big online or live poker events, when you win some millionaire event you can quit your regular jobs and live in poker.

It's a good idea to save some money on freerolls and play in a good tournament! What if you get lucky and win the tournament.

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is very difficult to make a living from poker. I really like to play, but I think that in freerrolls it is complicated because since they do not lose anything by playing, many play them in a bad way, going all in with dirty hands to see if they can eliminate someone and it is better to play with an entry price.

VikyGia

VikyGia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Opition

Always looking to play for fun if the money comes with it, welcome. :D

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being pro poker player and living entirely from poker requires very good bankroll management, discipline and efforts to constantly improve your game. For most recreational players like me having other job and using some of your free time to play for fun or as additional income is the best way to proceed.

D

Damian12

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not many players have much money, so playing more freerolls