Finally a level up

Brentsn

Brentsn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ve been complaining about what was my cycle of winning. I would play freerolls win dollars then play $1 win up to $150-$200 then not get a hand until my bankroll was back to zero. Small victories is what I may be celebrating but if you can’t celebrate the small ones you won’t appreciate the bigger ones. Smashed my biggest payout to date X3. A $500+ cash may not be much to a lot of you but to me it is a long awaited level up. Now is when I really need some bankroll management because I want to grow my roll but I know I shouldn’t but want to try a massively more expensive buyin tournament. I play $20 tournaments when I would do degenerate shot taking. Now I’m looking at the $109 knockout thinking take a shot even though I know I’ll be so mad after I lose without even one bounty. I know I shouldn’t and probably won’t but I want to so bad. But it is nice to post something that is not me complaining about a bad beat.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Congrats! Keep playing your same game until you win enough to justify a bigger buy in tournament!

G

glebchekotin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gratz! keep working hard and everything will come

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’ve been complaining about what was my cycle of winning. I would play freerolls win dollars then play $1 win up to $150-$200 then not get a hand until my bankroll was back to zero. Small victories is what I may be celebrating but if you can’t celebrate the small ones you won’t appreciate the bigger ones. Smashed my biggest payout to date X3. A $500+ cash may not be much to a lot of you but to me it is a long awaited level up. Now is when I really need some bankroll management because I want to grow my roll but I know I shouldn’t but want to try a massively more expensive buyin tournament. I play $20 tournaments when I would do degenerate shot taking. Now I’m looking at the $109 knockout thinking take a shot even though I know I’ll be so mad after I lose without even one bounty. I know I shouldn’t and probably won’t but I want to so bad. But it is nice to post something that is not me complaining about a bad beat.
a $500+ cash is huge and would mean a lot to a lot of players. i've been playing online since around 2005 and i've never gotten close to an mtt cash/win like that. i guess it would depend on your buy-in but, still, $500 is solid.

it does sound like bankroll management is an issue for you. i get that you want to play bigger buy-in games, but my two main questions are:
  • are you able to beat the smaller buy-in games?
  • why do you need/want to move up so quickly?
in my opinion, if you can't beat the smaller buy-in games, then you will (likely) not fair well in the larger buy-in games with harder opponents. if there is no need to move up quickly and play games that are outside of your bankroll, then why do so? i know the idea of a big score is nice but has your past experiences in mtts shown you're capable of doing so?

from the looks of it, with your ups/downs in your bankroll and going from $1 to $200 and back down to $0, it doesn't sound like it. Or, it's possible you're not giving yourself the opportunity to build up your bankroll, gain experience, and move up in stakes because you're putting too much of it in high buy-ins that you're not a) not rolled for and b) don't have an edge in. with a $500 bankroll, you could play 4 * $109 bounty mtts and a $60 mtt, and hopefully you score big within those 5 games or you can play 90 * $5.50 mtts, give yourself a better chance to hit a huge score, and not have to go through the bankroll busting ups/downs.

personally speaking, i'd rather have more buy-ins than less because it means i can play more and have more opportunities. i won't say i'm a brm nit because i actually play outside of my bankroll means, but that's due to a small bankroll i'm building and the games i have available to play. my current bankroll is ~$60 (after cashing out and leaving $5 behind), so i stick with the .00 - .66 mtts mostly, with occasional shots at $1.10 - $1.65 buy-in mtts.

now, of course, if you have no problem with re-building your bankrolls after busting them or re-depositing to keep playing the higher buy-in games, then you really don't need to follow brm. you can play the games that you want and it wouldn't matter. especially if putting in more money is no problem as you basically are rolled for the games you want to play, you just don't deposit the full bankroll needed.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
What you really want does not mean that it is acceptable from the point of view of the bankroll management system. And if you do not have a clear system that forms your limits, then it will be difficult for you to achieve good results.
Good luck.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congrats for the win. But like you said, you need to follow bankroll management. I know we all want a big win and that's why you probably want so much to play the top tournaments, but you have a lot more chances of losing than hitting a big win. It's better to stick to your level buy in tournaments and have a steady income than go all in in 1 or 2 tournaments.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to go to a new level only when you are fully confident that you are ready to lose. Otherwise, it is better to postpone the transition.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi all , nice ideas and advice, congrats to the OP , $500 is nice indeed , it is quite strange going from $150 to $0 , possibly playing to high for your BR , I have done this once or twice, however where I played the smallest game is NL20 ($8-$10 min buyin) so not much choice but to play at this level, I have gone from $50 to $0 once and $50 to $8 the 2nd time, I have had to adjust my playing style to play short stacked at these limits, watch the game a bit before playing and see if any obv leaks happening, and other times I won't play if rivals are over aggressive as well because can just go broke, I don't recommend it to anyone, playing cash game with a BR that can support only 2 min buyins .....lol , crazy , this is why I say where to find games is a defining factor, if you can find cheaper games it's good.
however cheaper doesn't always mean better, I sometimes play acr plo and plo8 cash games, I have noticed I lose more $ at 0.1/0.2 than at say 0.2/0.5 as the higher game plays better and less rivals just shoving every hand at the lowest stake
I hate that most of the action is at the bomb-pots , I guess players wanting more action and are impatient, so I'm forced yet again to play in games I don't want to (bomb-pots) because other tables are empty .....
anyway enough about me ....
I'd focus on mtt that have better formats , and increased chances of itm , some are cheap , $1.65 to win say $50+ up top ... try a few , say one every day for a month and write down the finishing result, final hand, and make a data list that you can refer to and track progress, then if you get good results you can always try slightly bigger games with the profit, say $5 buyins .....
just imo , maybe I'm doing it wrong :p
gl

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

This temptation will always haunt us.

But don't do this.

The ideal is to have 200 buy ins.

Think about it.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Man will never be satisfied only with what he has, every time he covets above, which is not a bad thing, but you have to think beforehand where your action will lead!

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Play like you played before and practice more, you should gradually climb the limits and not spend half of your bankroll on one tournament, this is not good! I understand that you have a great desire to play expensive tournaments, but you need to understand that more experienced people play there, and you most likely will not be able to win this tournament one or two times! In general, if I were you, I would play by the bankroll, and gradually raised the limits, but this is generally a matter of how to manage your bankroll, I can only wish you all the best and good luck at the tables! All good!

B

berkyt20

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if there is no clear system that forms our limits in the amount of money, it will be difficult for us to achieve good results, and we will constantly lose.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Congratulations. I'd advise to fight your urges and not blow your new gained bankroll by buying into much too expensive MTTs in relation to your winnings.

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Its freeroll money you can look at it like a satellite. You still should learn how to manage a bankroll IMO.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Congrats on the big win and the bigger bankroll to play other games. One small bit of advise on moving up. Bankroll management is important but so is being ready to move up. Take a shot at better tournaments is OK but be reasonably in what you pick. There is a big difference in $20.00 tournaments and $1.00 tournaments. I would pick smaller ones to try 1st. Good luck to you.

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Keep up the good work man.

N

Negan92222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please give me a level up!! It's the only game I still enjoy after I calmed down (when I loose?)
Other games I just refuse to play cause I suck. I pray for better times and most importantly, better cards:D xx

Lupus

Lupus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This temptation will always haunt us.

But don't do this.

The ideal is to have 200 buy ins.

Think about it.

I agree. My biggest win to date is @ $270. I have been playing at the $1-3 range and thought, I'll just play a couple of higher cost tournaments. Bad idea for me. All I did was dwindle the bankroll that much quicker. Looking back I wish I had just kept to the smaller buyins. I might still have a decent bankroll.
Good luck and keep grinding

A

azgeda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great job! Keep it up, I think it’s a lot and a great progress. you just have to believe in yourself.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congratulations mate on your great prize!.Keep playing your A game but ,please,add a good bankroll management to your poker sessions..Be patient and have a nice 2,022.

Kompany

Kompany

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$500 is a huge amount in my book, but I know how it can be, playing after a big win. I get very loose, and it costs me, so I try to play consistently, forgetting about any recent wins...

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's great! Hopefully I move up to a new level soon

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Greetings, I would advise you not to do it. keep your mind calm and focus on making your bank grow organically, with effort and dedication in a time you could double and then if you could play a great tournament.