Fear and Poker

LenilsonF7

LenilsonF7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We well know that fear is part of our condition as human beings, yet the difference is how we allow it to affect us in our decisions.

Bringing fear into the universe of Poker, where players can have their game totally affected by both failure and success because of that feeling (fear).

Most of the time fear undermines our confidence, leading us to mistakes we would not make regularly on other occasions.

On the other hand, since the absence of fear, overconfidence can make our game readings also be impaired.

So, we have to find a balance between our emotions and be attentive to what happens in every poker hand that is played. It will be possible? What do you do to keep the balance between those two feelings that can be devastating for any poker player: "Between fear and overconfidence?"

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once I started strict bankroll Management I realized that there was no more fear. It allowed me to take risks and play with confidence. I still do get a little anxious if I am taking a shot at higher limit. But for the most part I can say I'm confident poker player.

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to take my time and control my breathing and heart rate:0) and then do what ever I think is best at that time:0)

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fear and overconfidence are both forms of tilt. If you are experiencing fear in a session, you probably wont make the best poker decisions for fear of losing. If you are running hot and feel like you can't lose, you probably loosen up you play style too much and start to lose.

It's not a bad idea to either move down stakes you are more comfortable in or stop playing until the fear (tilt) subsides.You should also ground yourself when you're feeling too overconfident and manic during winning streaks.

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is a main issue I have at the moment hope to get over it soon.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've found that if you fear playing at a certain stake level, other then going down which isn't always possible playing in-person games, is to tighten up and basically just watch the action until the fear subsides. Remember, you can play 4 orbits of a cash game without betting and only lose 6 out of 50 or so BBs. So just sit back, watch the other players, and only play absolute premium hands until you feel comfortable with how the table is running.

neiroob

neiroob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also have a fear of losing when I'm on the flop ahead, but 2 more cards can turn everything around.

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
need to play for the money that is not a pity to lose...
then there will be no fear.
and you'll just enjoy poker..))
:dancing2:

cleder7

cleder7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not afraid of the poker game, I'm afraid my luck will be less than that of my opponent.
Often we lose with the best hand and it frustrates me. And that's what I'm afraid of.

FlamengoBR

FlamengoBR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have no fear when I play poker.I think that fear is not good and have influence in the decisions during the game.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to be afraid to play and lose a bankroll, but now it happens to me as a player muse713 - As soon as I started to strictly manage a bankroll, I realized that there was no more fear. This allowed me to take risks and play with confidence. I'm still a little worried if I take a shot at a higher limit. But for the most part I can say that I am a confident poker player.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
To learn to control your fear, you must learn to control your bankroll and everything will be fine !!!.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the key to playing your A-game is the right choice of stakes. Too high stakes causes for us scary money game. Too low stakes for us is boring. Adequate stakes causes comfortable game and profits.

I

izpanol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, it's natural to feel fear, yep, but even if it can not be overcome, if you can be aware of where these emotions are taking us, and in fact, with some awareness, we can even take advantage of them.

Ropa

Ropa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Theres no such a thing as fear if you know how to manage your bankroll. If you don't spend more than you can affoard then fear doesn't exist in poker game. But iv'e had couple of times back in the past than i spent more on poker than i can affoard to lose. That's called getting TILTED.

J

jofieloviedo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fear is in our mind

I think poker is a great game, I have a lot of fun when I play, I think fear is only in our minds and we can control it. We can not feel fear when we are playing poker cause that is gonna limit our game and most of the time if we feel fear we are gonna take bad decisions and due to that we are gonna lose money most of the time. the best professional poker players play their best game and they are completely sure when they play cause they know fear is only in their mind and it is not good if they want to win and not only poker player know that every single person who has success know this fact we can not go and play if we are afraid or something like that.

Just think about other professional players and not only professional poker player, think about cristiano ronaldo or messi they go and play their best and know they are gonna win no matter what. Fear always limits our thoughts, movements and decisions.

R

r21sp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There should be no fear in poker! if you are a pro then you are confident in your game. and if you are an amateur, follow the bankroll and you will have nothing to fear!
I used to have a fear to play a tournament that is much more expensive than my limit, but after trying several times I realized that I don’t need to look at the cost of a buy-in, I just need to play

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once I started strict Bankroll Management I realized that there was no more fear. It allowed me to take risks and play with confidence. I still do get a little anxious if I am taking a shot at higher limit. But for the most part I can say I'm confident poker player.

This is very key. If you start to play higher limits, you feel more fear due to how much money you could lose. If you play within your means, you can play with more peace of mind.

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah BRM definitely helps with fear, but if I haven't played in a while I still get nervous. After a while the nerves calm down, especially the more used to a room or group I get.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey.
When you are confident in basic theoretical knowledge, there is no fear, only probabilities. The more knowledge, the less fear. I recommend to do more theory and analysis of poker hands. However, this does not help in one tournament, you need the experience of playing live and experience in psychology.

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey.
When you are confident in basic theoretical knowledge, there is no fear, only probabilities. The more knowledge, the less fear. I recommend to do more theory and analysis of poker hands. However, this does not help in one tournament, you need the experience of playing live and experience in psychology.

I agree, I seems we experience fear when we're faced with the possibility of loss. If you are more aware of your odds and are happy with your decision and your odds you will have less fear...

Where does the rush come from.?

I mean for me there seems to be a big difference between play chips and real value stake.

It is a very real physical change. Trembling, flushing in the face and feeling hot when in a high stakes high value hand...

Is that fear? I don't think it is as after I feel it's been an enjoyable experience haha depending on how things play out... Lol but what's that about?

W

whosdaboss25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never play afraid I do the math of the hand and take pot odds into account and say well if they add up I will call if they don't I will not call. I don't play over confedient either because
that is the easy way to go broke in this business. Thinking your the best when your not is a sure way to get your ass busted in poker because there is someone that is always bettere than you out there and they may just so happen to sit at your table right when you get ****y. So watch your P's and Q's at all time and watch your table for that player and how he plays and makes his plays.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Sometimes emotions prevent me from effectively using good situations. In such cases, I stop playing and begin to meditate. It always helps me. Only 10-15 minutes of intense meditation and no fear, there are only positive emotions.

najjah166

najjah166

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in general, any excess is not advisable, any time, moderation is the best action, poker, by cons do not fear, courage pushes you to go far, if you are afraid you do not will progress ,

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think u have to find a happy medium and rely on instinct