Fear of Playing Badly

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Has anyone ever experienced this? How do you deal with it?

I know if I'm away from the tables for more than a few days my brain can switch into a different mindset where I make more mistakes and am less careful. This has given me a fear of playing badly when I resume playing after a long break (not a fear of running badly, but a worry of making mistakes I know I could avoid)

Does anyone else get this? How do you get over this mindset?

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fear is a feeling, when you are afraid of mistakes. Fear in poker negatively affects the game. Play quality poker and not be afraid to lose if played correctly.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have the opposite. If I play a lot, then I start to look more at the flop and therefore lose the stack. If it’s very rare, then I’m careful and it bears fruit.

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good luck with being in the game all the time. Making few days brake gives you clearing your mind and can make you better player.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,first of all ,have a nice 2020 in everything you do.Well, talking about this topic,I´ve never experienced that fear.I think that a little break in poker is always welcome.If you play well and enjoy this game,there´s nothing to worry about.Good luck!

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lots of people play badly. This is not the problem at all. If you mean, that you play badly after a few days break, then just start your next poker session with low stakes, just to warm-up a bit and after that you can play your own limits.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when I went on vacation. on my return i was also making a lot of mistakes and i was having trouble playing my A game. but after a few days of loss. I managed to return to my old level of play through patience and thoroughness. feel free to watch strategic videos to prepare yourself and gain a good state of mind before playing.

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mindset is important. I never fear losing and only try to play when I have the right mindset.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t assume anything before I play. Thinking about variance or anything that may not be in my control doesn’t help. I try to think about my mental game plan and how I’ll be able to overcome losing pots. Look if your ahead when you get the money in and lose, you’ve lost the pot but won then hand. That’s a positive.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do find that if I've been away from it for a while (which has been happening more lately) it takes time to get back in the groove. The only way I've found to get around that is to play some lower stakes games to warm up.

F

Fatman0912

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try somehow to get rid of this fear of playing badly, because it will affect your game. Try to be disciplined and don't overdo things. If you play tournaments there are plenty of opportunities to build your stack. Be comfortable.

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fear is no good in poker. You need to eliminate emotion whatsoever. Play mathematically and dont be afraid of calling when you have to. If you lose just know that it happens. If you do the right play you will come out profitable in a long run

Watcheman

Watcheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know when you do not do anything for a long time you can fell some fear but this is how to do warm-up in the morning or before the race to practise again...
By thу way if you from tables more than few days what your brain are thinking about where you make more mistakes??? and where does poker go?
If I understand you correctly -you should train your brain so that it obeys you and you can easily switch it to the right thing.
If you can play poker well you shouldn't have such thoughts but if you are not confident in yourself then you need to learn a little.

I know if I'm away from the tables for more than a few days my brain can switch into a different mindset where I make more mistakes and am less careful. This has given me a fear of playing badly when I resume playing after a long break (not a fear of running badly, but a worry of making mistakes I know I could avoid)

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Has anyone ever experienced this

I know if I'm away from the tables for more than a few days my brain can switch into a different mindset where I make more mistakes and am less careful.
Does anyone else get this?

In october i pretty much didn't play poker for 7 consecutive days (cause spent week in country where most sites are ineligble) and i doubt i haf similar weird feelings ... So i guess me lucky to never experience any "ridicilous fears" :)

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Stop caring what other people think. That's really all there is too it.

Generate your self worth and self concept from within and it becomes easier.

My coach has a great video on the subject, it's point #5

DMAlv7

DMAlv7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck with being in the game all the time. Making few days brake gives you clearing your mind and can make you better player.

With this I agree with 100%. That does not mean I disagree with any other comment.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think at some point you have to feel like the game is dialed in. From there just small changes are needed. I'm really not concerned with feeling bad but more with some adjustment as the game changes.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I don't feel fear about this phenomenon. But I know this as well, that I tend to play worse after a longer break. Then it really helps to play at lower buy-ins or some freerolls for the start to get the feeling for the game again somehow.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the pointers guys. Solid advice with warming up with micros. Usually once I get into the swing of it after an hour of play I settle into my usual groove.

I think I'm mostly anxious because it takes me some time to get into that groove and I'm worried it might not come?

Sounds like madness I know :p

Stop caring what other people think. That's really all there is too it.

Generate your self worth and self concept from within and it becomes easier.

My coach has a great video on the subject, it's point #5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-57rcwn5Lwo

Thanks, good stuff :)

Last edited:
jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the pointers guys. Solid advice with warming up with micros. Usually once I get into the swing of it after an hour of play I settle into my usual groove.

I think I'm mostly anxious because it takes me some time to get into that groove and I'm worried it might not come?

Sounds like madness I know :p

Identify what you are scared of. Really spend some time thinking about what you are scared of. Then, figure out how you would pick yourself back up if the "worst case scenario" happened. Now that you are prepared for the worst, your anxiety should ease.

Identify the feeling, validate the feeling, be one with the feeling (mindfulness), the feeling will pass.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Identify what you are scared of. Really spend some time thinking about what you are scared of. Then, figure out how you would pick yourself back up if the "worst case scenario" happened. Now that you are prepared for the worst, your anxiety should ease.

Identify the feeling, validate the feeling, be one with the feeling (mindfulness), the feeling will pass.

Thanks for this, I think it will be really helpful.

malitoxdk16

malitoxdk16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fear or doubt greatly influences your game ... if you do not have a difficult concentrated mind you can divert your fears

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
what happens to me at least happens to me or at least what I do is to review all my notes a little and be more cautious the first tables and there I start to play and I get more confidence