Family All-in preflop hands

T

twoG1cup

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know what I'm talking about.

Mid-late game, short stack goes all in, one caller, 3rd guy has a fairly decent hand, you're sitting there with a stack size roughly the average stack size with semi-premium or premium hand like
AQ, AK, AJ s or o.

Do you call?

The way I look at it, family all in pots I'm going to assume consist of players whose hands all block each other: AJ, AQ, KQ, KJ, QJ o/s, maybe throw in a lower AX suited in there.

But also keep in mind, if you don't call, you're going to end up the underdog in the next few hands since 1-2 players could potentially be eliminated and one player will be left with a stack size enough to push you around.

I'm only ever confident calling with a AA or any other pocket pairs. I've called with QQ and JJ but in a lot of cases the AX suited hands manage to catch the A and have you beat.

Thoughts on family all-in pots? Do you find yourselves in these situations often?

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you are speaking of roughly 30bb stacks and 4-8bb shorties. With hands that you are referring to AT-AK should either go ALL-IN or fold as you want to get those dead chips as well,
If you call you get yourself into tricky situations with very significant amount of your stack already in the middle. You risk getting bluffed out or letting opponent hit the board with his weaker/stronger hands.
I could consider other options if:
A. We have nuts QQ-AA (JJ sometimes)
B. Over caller is maniac who will often splash into us his stack.
Good Luck!

Last edited:
M

Milan Godhania

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I made an allin call with AQ suited against one player which I lost, he had pocket JJ. That's when I remember the good time, folding & surviving.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands