Experts! What's the legal ruling here...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Adventurebound2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Might help a bit if you guys copied a set of rules to have around just in case something similar happens again. Wouldn't hurt to copy this thread to show the guys at the Pub to clear things up for everyone.

K_Kahne_Fan

K_Kahne_Fan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
clearly there are different rules all over the place, but is there a set of rules that presides over all others ?

i.e. why dont all poker rules follow the wsop format ?

It doesnt make sense to have conflicting sets of rules. I understand that house rules overrule BUT shouldnt even house rules follow 1 set of rules so as to maintain some sort of standard ?

I.e. why dont all rules be based on the wsop rules ?

On that note, where can i find a complete set of wsop rules that covers EVERYTHING from a-z ?

I looked at the rules over at wordseriesofpoker.com and there cant be just 8 rules pertaining to holdem ?

No sports authority (if you will) follows the same rules all the time.

Pro is different than Minor Leagues
Minor Leagues are different than College
Sprint Cup (Pro) is different than The Nationwide Series (minor league)

Just because it's the same sport everyone plays, it's not always the same rules. As for house rules, as long as they are posted, then what the house says goes. If you want to play by their rules, great. If you don't want to play by their rules, play else where. I'm not stating that as a smarta$$ response, it's just how it's looked upon in general. As for house rules, once a rule has been made they should really wright it down for future reference. However, Robert's Rules of Poker is what most places that have no rules use. It's very detailed and answers almost all of the questions one would have. I might suggest the pub owner/manager read RROP and revise them as/if they feel needed.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe everything has been covered here, but not nearly enough people have been laughing at the guy with JJ calling.

I mean the guy showing his hand is stupid, but calling with JJ is completely awesome.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe everything has been covered here, but not nearly enough people have been laughing at the guy with JJ calling.

I mean the guy showing his hand is stupid, but calling with JJ is completely awesome.

He must be missing a finger, else he would have been able to count to 5.;)

riverboatrat

riverboatrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he misread the board, sure its an oversight, and was hasty, but we have all made mistakes, I laid down broadway once by accident (alcohol fueled)

K_Kahne_Fan

K_Kahne_Fan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he misread the board, sure its an oversight, and was hasty, but we have all made mistakes, I laid down broadway once by accident (alcohol fueled)

I've gotten "click happy" and clicked "fold" before my eyes saw (winning hand)... then comes the "oh sh..."

riverboatrat

riverboatrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was "he" you?;)

you've got same location as OP

OP?

no it definitely wasn't me, myself and babyshoes were at the same game (both of us named Paul) the player in question is a regular at our games but has only been playing for about 6 months

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OP = Original Poster (or Poaster)

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
clearly there are different rules all over the place, but is there a set of rules that presides over all others ?

i.e. why dont all poker rules follow the wsop format ?

Most major tournaments do use the same rules as the wsop (the WSOP, in turn, uses the Tournament Directors' Association rules)

I think part of the reason they're not universal though is that nobody can agree on them - the TDA rules contain such amusing gems as the "you can't tell the truth about your hand" rule, and once you start picking and choosing the rules you enforce... well, everything becomes pretty non-standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.