An exercise in Proper Bankroll Management

RiverNoHelp

RiverNoHelp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So after nearly 2 years of strict play money ventures on pokerstars and several other sites I finally buckled and started real money play online.. A (to remain anonymous) donor hooked me up with $10 in real money on Pokerstars..
I promptly lost all that within 5 days.. Then i lost three different $25 dollar deposits in the span of less than a month.. Finally, I decided enough was enough.. I seriously took a long hard look at the limits I was playing and realized that while I was playing near my actual bankroll I was playing well above my online bankroll..
My Stars account showed a little over $2.. One more $25 deposit was all I was ever going to make..Not because I couldn't afford it, but because I was determined to play smart and stay within my online bankroll.. Here we are a month later and this is how my sharkscope graph looks:

Notice the huge downsing at nearly 50 games played..I've grinded and grinded the $1 dollar STT's exclusively since then to nearly get myself back to even.. My PS balance right now is $104.. I will not move up to the $5 STT's until my balance reaches $150; actually make that $170 because I am going to send my original donor double the money he sent me to pay him back.. I will no longer be risking more than 3% of my roll on any tournament (a la Chris Fergusons' online experiment).. Any advice in general would be greatly appreciated..Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• DisplayGraph.jpg
    DisplayGraph.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Notice the huge downsing at nearly 50 games played
Nope. I don't notice. Graph not showing up. You'll have to take a screenshot of the SS graph, crop it down, save it to your hard drive, upload it here, and then post it for it to show up.

RiverNoHelp

RiverNoHelp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Got ya..sorry about that!

Graph showing yet?

Last edited:
reglardave

reglardave

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good job man. keep it going. In addition to being economically rewarding,practicing proper BR management is a good lesson in self discipline, and a fun challenge to one's self.

It seems we had this discussion once before; yo like to play Omaha8, right?

RiverNoHelp

RiverNoHelp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good job man. keep it going. In addition to being economically rewarding,practicing proper BR management is a good lesson in self discipline, and a fun challenge to one's self.

It seems we had this discussion once before; yo like to play Omaha8, right?

That's correct.. I love Eight or Better.. Haven't played it too much for money though since no $1 S&G's are available..Did play a few $5 S&G's during my improper BR stage though..Hence my roll troubles..

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice job, man. Looks like you've got a good consistency goin, keep it up.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management