Emotions

Henriquekbnz

Henriquekbnz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ve been having a lot of variance in my mood due to poker, today I’m breakeven, however, in the moments of loss be it a badbeat or for leaving a tournament, I end up getting very nervous and I get very happy, this sudden variance in everyday life oode disturb me, and if you guys already passed oor this what do you recommend?

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Emotions lead to mistakes and losses. For me, poker is a hobby that brings pleasure, so playing poker I feel only positive emotions. I am not nervous, because it does not make sense. I have nothing to worry about, because I follow a bankroll management system that limits my losses. The main thing is to make the right decisions and then you will always have good prospects.
Good luck.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’ve been having a lot of variance in my mood due to poker, today I’m breakeven, however, in the moments of loss be it a badbeat or for leaving a tournament, I end up getting very nervous and I get very happy, this sudden variance in everyday life oode disturb me, and if you guys already passed oor this what do you recommend?

My focus is on enjoyment and improvement. Enjoyment through improvememt.

Improvement includes being able to "handle" a bad beat with good character.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This helps the study of theory and analysis of hands. An interlocutor with whom you can analyze your distributions and find a solution together is also desirable.
And be sure to play by bankroll.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, my emotions started to run way less high once I started becoming serious about getting good at poker. I think studying away from the table helps this a lot—such that it feels like you do the “work” of the game while studying and that the playing is like a super fun version of a pop quiz! Of course there is a lot of great mental game info out there too, should you want to directly study it :)

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Couple of good points from Jordan and Katie.

I too can have wildly swinging emotions after playing. I can totally take a bad beat, that's not a problem, I'm not great at accepting it when I decide I've made a terrible play, or played without required thought, and allow myself to be affected by this

Focusing on enjoyment, improvement and separate poker study could really help. At the moment I'm probably game and too results orientated, in the way I allow my emotions to be affected by what I did in a specific hand or tourney.
I should switch out a couple of freerolls, and put more structured focus learning.

E

Elfina777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2 days ago, I experienced emotions when I won a ticket at 888 for $ 109, for the tournament that will be held on April 4, the prize fund is 150 K.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Couple of good points from Jordan and Katie.

I too can have wildly swinging emotions after playing. I can totally take a bad beat, that's not a problem, I'm not great at accepting it when I decide I've made a terrible play, or played without required thought, and allow myself to be affected by this

Focusing on enjoyment, improvement and separate poker study could really help. At the moment I'm probably game and too results orientated, in the way I allow my emotions to be affected by what I did in a specific hand or tourney.
I should switch out a couple of freerolls, and put more structured focus learning.

You are spot on! Shifting that focus away from results, and toward self-analysis will cure you of tilt and poker related anger. It should also paradoxically provide you with better results. :)

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You are spot on! Shifting that focus away from results, and toward self-analysis will cure you of tilt and poker related anger. It should also paradoxically provide you with better results. :)

Thanks Jordan, I really hadn’t been thinking of it like that enough at all. I was focusing so much on making the right decision, but of course in poker lots of right decisions don’t look very right when you’re out!!

Cheers for the reply and advice.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learn to control your emotions over all no matter the situation and act and think with your head. Try to learn from your mistake so that you wont make them as often therefore you wont feel as bad as often.

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Controlling emotions is not easy, especially when we have to concentrate for a long time, we will feel tired and easily lost controlling emotions. So I often play a sport or work out to maintain my health and it is also a good mediation. I think they help me a lot in controlling my emotions.

besplatnee

besplatnee

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We all want to win as much money as possible with the least effort, but it just doesn't happen. You should always clearly understand what prevents you from becoming better, and work in this direction. Controlling your actions while playing poker is one of the most important skills on the road to success!

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

I think everyone lives in this turmoil of emotions.
The big point is the time that you intend to stay with them.
The ideal is to absorb the maximum of the good ones and eliminate the bad ones as quickly as possible.

It is difficult, but necessary.

E

el79

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is very good that you have been able to achieve a balance and that should be celebrated friend because you gain in health thanks to it.

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know, there are different emotions from winning.Sometimes you strive for the first place but you barely get into the top ten.And you are also upset, even though you got into the prizes and hit a decent jackpot.Sometimes you lose and do not get into the prizes, but something in your thoughts gives you a hint about your wrong actions and you learn from this lesson.And you're happy about that.So we will extract knowledge-emotions are different and everyone perceives them differently.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I focus not on defeat, but on the best moments of the game, trying to figure out and analyze what led to this or that action. I am more upset by external factors, such as disconnection of the Internet or lags.

Q

Qrise

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

good question. I recommend analyzing the results of the influence of emotions on the game, and if somewhere there is a negative influence of emotions on the game, then you need to try to curb these emotions. In general, this is a common strategy for working on a game by analyzing the game and honing your skills.:cool:

L

liviuplayspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad beats are in Poker every day, i mean really EVERY DAY. Sometimes you have only Bad beats and no Motivation to play anymore, bit that how the game works, only the smartest, the most Patient and the ones who REALLY LOVE the game will pass this hatd time/period.
And if you cant control your emotions, maybe Poker isnt something for you. I dont mean it badly, but you have to reflect to yourself!:
Can I beat the stakes Im playing?
Can i control my emotions, because i know emotions are nothing to do on the Poker table(s)?
Am i disciplinated and have enough patience to follow the bankroll Management?
Is EVERYTHINK in my live good/okey, because I know i have to fix my life first and then Poker?
Do i analyse enough hands?
Do I have friends who could also train with me Poker or i Do all alone?
Do i play Poker, because ive depts and i try to solve them with poker?
There are much much more, but this are for me the most important ones!
I hope i could help you!
Best wishes

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I meditate every day and it allows me to always stay calm, focused, and easily control my emotions. Also, poker for me is a game that gives me only positive emotions, regardless of the results.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I also recommend the study of philosophy as a regular practice. I started with Stoicism and went down the rabbit hole from there.

Seneca is one of my favorites. ;)