early freeroll hands

S

slamminman8

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In a holdem freeroll for about $200 with about 600 players (random numbers), which do you think is the best to play early on:

A. double up early
B. play loosely
C. play tight
D. bluff for chips
E. play extremely tight with hands like AK AQ KQ AJsuited or pockets 10+

Personally my choice is is between C or E, what do you think though?:D

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a holdem freeroll for about $200 with about 600 players (random numbers), which do you think is the best to play early on:

A. double up early
B. play loosely
C. play tight
D. bluff for chips

I think the only wrong answers are B & D. Problem is, early on, you've got no reads, and someone might have something, even if raising 3x in a row. Another thing is, there's some overlap in the answers. You wanna take advantage of the all-in donks and maniacal raisers, and make as many chips as possible early. It will be harder later, especially if you're short-stacked.

H

hacklimit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
E!

Only play AA, KK, QQ in the first 30 minutes. Add AK, AQ, JJ next 15. Add all other pairs next 15. After the first hour, you are on your own. ;)

H

haystack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes your answer is right you have to let the donks get out of the way first so tight/aggressive is the best with top hands thats the way to go

B

BostonRobber

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A. Double up Early

When I get going early I can open up the number of hands I can play and take advantage of people offering up all of their chips on J3 off. Once you get a few of them you get teleported to the table of early winners where I hope to see big donkeys and double up again. I'm particularly fond of the big stack always in donkey.

B

bobcat57

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have to say D and E.....in the early stages of a freeroll there are a lot of players who are willing to risk it all on nothing just because it is a freeroll.

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a pretty avid freeroll player,usually just private freerolls but still freerolls.
And here is what i think is the best way to play early freerolls.
C. play tight.
Sure protect your strong hands,but expect to have to go all in with them when you have them.
Early on lots of players are just tring to double up then tighten up.
I just play tight solid poker and make the money often.

T

tommy62278

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i actually like b a little. ill see a flop with 10 j off now and then for bb cost. now im folding to a raise obv but i like to mix it up. buid a stack and then sit back and wait for nuts

FereZ

FereZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
E - play extremely tight. :p When you got more chips, like 5-8k stack you can watch flops with like Q 10 etc.

R

Reducto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the table lets you limp in during the early rounds with connectors, suited ace, small pair, etc it's usually worth it. Many players in those games aren't really watching the board - they'll call an all in with top pair even with a possible straight or flush on the board. If you hit, bet 2x the pot and often someone will push. If you don't hit, you only lost 20 of your 1500 chips. Otherwise, it's usually not messing around too much. Don't bluff, don't call or bet unless you're confident you have the best hand. If you get a top tier hand bet big.

BuggyX

BuggyX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in the beginning I play tight, till most of the loose players are out, tight-agressive play after the first break...

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try to see cheap flops with cards with nut potential. Any pair, suited aces, 2 high cards in good position. If you hit a set on the flop try to get all your money in by the river ( instead of pushing out hands on the flop by going all in. Try to get heads up preflop when you have AA or KK against one caller. If you slowplay AA or KK you allow a bunch of marginal hands into the pot who can make big hands postflop. Remember there are no donks in a freeroll because there is no negative EV hand. Impossible to lose money. I would wait until level 7 or 8 before trying to steal blinds. Harder to steal from beginners than experienced players. Semibluffing straight and flush draws work better at this level. Try not to go all in against the big stacks if they have you covered. Your moves are going to work the best against the middle stacks. Getting luck helps too.

CheeseConey

CheeseConey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to wait for AA, AK, AQ, KK, QQ and then just go all in. Early in a freeroll, somebody will call you and you can double up. If you lose, oh well, it's a freeroll.

Onadar

Onadar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
early freeroll, i would play your position, utg AA or KK if you won't go allin with it don't even play it in a freeroll. middle position i would muck most everything until you get a feel for the table add AK AQSs QQ JJ. late now here is where you play "loose" true suited connectors, not that one gap crap, any small pairs, suited aces.
if you are playing from position in following rounds you not only get to see what happens before you, but more often than not there will be a "hero" player wanting to go all in with top pair weak kicker, or two pair when you hold the nutz.
only other thing is do not bluff, these first round players either don't have the skill or don't really care if they don't have odds, save all that fancy stuff for deep in the tourney when the blinds are so high, you just might have to steal a few blinds just to stay ahead of the field to get itm.
early play few hands out of position, play on the button or near it, don't call alot of preflop raises unless you are getting wicked odds. don't bother bluffing people who don't know what they are doing. have patience.

hipshot55

hipshot55

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Early Freeroll Hands

A. double up early
B. play loosely
C. play tight
D. bluff for chips

E. Definitely. AJs is even iffy, depending on the players. I TRY to hold this supertight posture until at least the first break. By then the field has been significantly "trimmed" and you will hopefully have some kind of read on at least some of the players. I'm gradually curing myself of chasing open-ended straights, flush draws and the lure of a weak suited ace.

A-RAG

A-RAG

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls will have alot of pre-flop action in early stages get your chips in with big hands and pray or sitout an hour and hope you dont get blinded out after that.

chukky88

chukky88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in freeroll with a lot of players,all the time in the first 30 min. i play tight cous is a insane,everybody go allin with small cards and they can beat you..

C

chrisdione

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you slammin. That is how I usually play in freerolls. Too many people play like B and D and it makes it hard to be able to accumulate chips early though, unless you have a big hand. And even at that point you need to hope it holds up against more than one opponent. The early rounds are more like a BINGO match than a poker tourney.Good luck at the tables.

chelooo

chelooo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd go for option E because it's a 200$ freeroll you know it's a lot of cash and you're entering free so you have to play your best poker to win some money, and i'd say it's easy money. So option E would be the best if you really want to win the money but if you want to have fun just go with options A or B. lol

M

Mystroman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
E!! Make sure you make it past the first hour. Get some reads on people. Then go to town, and break the bank. Good Luck

X

xrakerx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to double up early and then play tightly the rest of the tourney.

kolobot

kolobot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best I think is to play real tight at the begining; wait for the looser to go all in against your monster... double or tripple up and then start to play the aggressive chipleader style poker (draws, medicore semibluffs ...)

T

TIGERSTUMP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i see how the table im on is playin if its a tite table i play looser than i normally do, and chip away at small pots,, if its a loose tab then i shut up shop till i feel its time to bet aa ak etc

srt27300

srt27300

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

On my mind, it is better to play risky at the beginning ... To take it casually : If I have to get out, I prefer to get out earlier. If I can stay with 2x/3x stack (3000/4500 for 1500 at the starting), then it is regularly possible to manage with that stack waiting for the starting donks to get out.

But, also depends on the number of places paid, if there's 45 places for 450 players, I would say I begin playing more tightly ... If there's 5 places paid for 900 players, then, I feel like having to be more agressive ...

For me, I prohibit myself to play bluff at the beginning as there's often someone to follow and then to have a big chance to make me loose ...

It's only an opinion, I also mainly play freerolls ... :)

See you soon
Stef

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands