Duplicating Chris Ferguson's $0 - $10,000 Challenge

DeJaMo

DeJaMo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm trying the same idea on FT, as an exercise, freerolls only, got my BR up to about $5.50 and then spewed it all away at $1 SnGs, on tilt, but not poker related tilt.

Anyhow it's fun, it's time spent at the tables, hopefully learning and it's FREE.
Current FT BR $0.31 :eek:

smokin-aces

smokin-aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
isnt their 0.10c SNG's for the real grinders? you can be fully rolled to play with as little as $4-$5

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
isnt their 0.10c SNG's for the real grinders? you can be fully rolled to play with as little as $4-$5

Not on Full Tilt. They have a rebuy MTT that's only 10c to enter, but they rebuys are 50c, the fields are huge and I think they're only held once a day.

C

carpeamentum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not on Full Tilt. They have a rebuy MTT that's only 10c to enter, but they rebuys are 50c, the fields are huge and I think they're only held once a day.

Correct, it is a 1000 Guarantee Tournament though, so, I have entered it twice. I also haven't been far enough from cashing on it to not play it again occasionally, no rebuys though.

As a not related to this reply update:
Cashed in an Omaha freeroll, so now I have 2.20 to work with. Time to see if I can win a SnG now that I have worked on my SnG game in play money.

H

hennyville2000

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck and keep grinding.

C

carpeamentum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Went to a local bookstore and picked up Phil Gordon's Little Green Book and Little Blue Book. I believe that reading what I have of these has improved my game significantly. I suggest these books to anyone who hasn't read them.

An update:
I won 3.25 by placing 5th in a ~700 person $50 freeroll.
I then played 5 $1.00 + $0.25 9 person NL HE SitnGos.
In those I placed 4th , 3rd, 1st, 6th, and 1st. In either the 4th place finish or the 6th place finish I had a series of plays where I lost all of my chips in 2 hands where my opponents had 5 and 6 outs. It happens, but it sucks when it takes a good chunk out of your bankroll.

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Went to a local bookstore and picked up Phil Gordon's Little Green Book and Little Blue Book. I believe that reading what I have of these has improved my game significantly. I suggest these books to anyone who hasn't read them.

An update:
I won 3.25 by placing 5th in a ~700 person $50 freeroll.
I then played 5 $1.00 + $0.25 9 person NL HE SitnGos.
In those I placed 4th , 3rd, 1st, 6th, and 1st. In either the 4th place finish or the 6th place finish I had a series of plays where I lost all of my chips in 2 hands where my opponents had 5 and 6 outs. It happens, but it sucks when it takes a good chunk out of your bankroll.

hey congrats on the win, but I have a suggestion for you. Two month ago I did something exactly like this and I wrote about it in my blog bobtigersadventure.blogspot.com. I was very serious about it and I had steps and everything for myself, so there was no way of me failing with the rules I set up.

Well believe it or not it didn't take me very long to hit that 1k task but thats not the point the point is I never came close to ever going broke, and those first two steps are always tough. Sorry, back to my suggestion, I suggest you play nothing but freerolls until you are at 25$, I have calculated everything back then and when i started playing 1$ 9 mans I never even though of being broke but yea check out my blog and pm me if you have any questions.

And one last thing over the years I have came up with a stradegy for these 9 mans that works like magic, during my challenge after i hit 35$ i was 9 tabling 1$ sngs since i was playing with profit and in this thread is the video of how i play if you care to watch it.

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/

C

carpeamentum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, bob, for the advice. I hear what you are saying. However, I don't find that my play differs based upon my bankroll. That is one thing I think I have a relatively easy time doing. In addition, I don't see a difference between playing only freerolls until I get $25 and playing those freerolls and SnG games in between. After all, I am still playing the freerolls. There just may be more time between the SnGs if I run my br down on that.

C

carpeamentum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I managed to go "broke." Good for me that's where I started. Back to freerolls exclusively for me it is. Ill keep things updated as I crawl my way up.

E

ELF-M

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
OZ, check your edit settings, I play $1 & $2 SnGs and once in the $2 180 tournie. I'm sitting on a $32 bank started w/ FR in march, would be up around $100 if not for trying the low limit ring games. won't make that mistake next time up. only play 2 or three times per week but would rather pay attention to 1 $2 game than multi-table 2 $1 games. by my stats I have played 42 games with a $1+ per game adv. plus a 50 something 3rd in the 180 mtt game. will try more 180 games when i am over $50 again. also joining a forum was what gave me my start even though they don't play on FTP anymore.

E

ELF-M

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
GL on your chalange carpeamentum, you really can play on other peoples money. the other thing that helped me since I haven't been playing long, is reading books. Sklanski's Tournament poker for adv. players, psycology of poker, phill gordon's little green and blue books' and the first one I read was borrowed from a friend, I think by Gus Hanson.

kaiWalk

kaiWalk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never heard about the Ferguson challenge, but I guess that's what I'm already doing at Doyle's Room. Cashed in the quickdraw freeroll & played a few .09 SnG's.

My own rule (once feasible) was no SnG's over 10% of my bankroll. Once I got over $20 I started playing the .02/.04 ring games.

In a week, I was up to $110. I've had a couple major tilts and lost half of it, but I'm back up to $75 now.

Been about 3 weeks since I started.

What was Ferguson's timeframe?

C

carpeamentum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It took Chris Ferguson 18 months to complete his challenge.

martygokona

martygokona

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
but i dont think im gonna follow ferguson's rules, my rule is COMMON SENSE

I think I would have to loosen up the starting requirements. If I won $7 bucks in a freeroll. I would rather go bust playing $1 or $2 SnGs and start over than grind out .01/.02 ring games.

A few months ago I started with zero on bodog. Cashed a freeroll and over time have cashed out over 2K playing SnGs and MTTs. "Note: I had to make a deposit to get the first payout." I probably cashed out too much because I went on a bad run and my BR is pretty much depleated. But, I'm confident I can build it again. And, I'm confident that the zero to $10K thing is doable. I don't play that many ring games, (although I'm trying to improve) and I just think that it's more realistic to loosen up the early buy-in requirements for your bankroll level, especially if you're gonna do it through SnGs and MTTs.

M

matt6781

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no need to start from 0

to tell you the truth starting from 0 zero will take you forever just make the minimum deposit and get started lowest play on ft is 25c -50c limit go from there and good luck

C

carpeamentum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For those who want to question the ROI of this endeavor, I can not hope to match my normal rate of income without significant monetary risk. However, I am not yet ready to play at that level. That is one reason why I am starting at $0.
For all of you who say deposit and skip the early levels, see above and also note that this is is a matter of pride in addition to being a matter of practice.

I have taken a break while I am busy with other things. Once I have some more time, I intend to pick back up this project.

JCN221

JCN221

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Speaking from personal experience (if you're playing on Tilt) do not put your entire 2 dollar bankroll you won from a freeroll in a 5-10 c Omaha game. ;)

I highly recommend the 10c crapshoot with 1k guaranteed (usually reaches 1.4K)

chapeltuno

chapeltuno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I finished 25th in the usa freeroll on ft yesterday. It payed $2.00. I finished ITM in 5 out of 8 $1.00 one table SNG's and now I'm at $20.00. So, you really don't have to deposit to get to $20. :)

L

LarryT503

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All right, I'm on board as well though I will try to do it at Carbon. Had my account up to 80.00 once, but lost it all on a bad beat! Good luck everyone!

M

metzyman06

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to play 6 man sng's rather then HU, I need to work on my HU play.

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When it comes to initial funding... The choices of freerolls or a small deposit have both been offered.

But I started up my rags to riches run another way.

I made 1M playchips in about a week and sold them for $10.

That's still a little skinny for .01/02 on stars, but I survived. I suppose you could sell 5M or so and have a better cushion.

C

chadherczeg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have actually been trying the same thing for almost a month now, i have gotten my bankroll up to 30-40 bucks a few times but then go outside of the BR management rules trying to win big and lose it all. All i can say is learn from my mistake and listen to Chris cuz he has done it. Don't try to win fast, just take it slow and see how it goes. I am trying it now, and won a couple bucks yesterday but then got into 2 dollar and quarter sitngoes and lost it and am back to 20 cents. hopefully i can do it again today on the 10 cent 1000 guarantee and get back up to where i need to be. Gl on the felt and i am gonna add you as a friend so i can see how you are doing from time to time. I will also let you know how i am doing and maybe we can turn this into a competition, cuz i love competition.

orangecat

orangecat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AHHH good ole bankroll management. That is definately my downfall. I am working hard to correct that flaw but each time I build a roll from scratch I get the itch to move way to far up in buy ins. I finally placed deep in a ft 28,000 gaurauntee (5th) wich has added 1700 to my ever backwards br. I will stick to the 5% rule on tourneys as apposed to furgesons 2-3% rule. and I will keep an update for anyone who is interested in my progress.

anyone else have variations of there own on fergusons strategy?

Orangecat

PopeNegro

PopeNegro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm actually trying to do this on bodog, been fluctuating between 300-400 for about a month now, mainly because i've been playing way too many MTT's :(.