Downswing

nyjah0

nyjah0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I play online cash game and I made a lot of winnings, turned $20 into $400 in 3 weeks and after taking the money in cash and taking a break for a week, I feel like I play really bad and I lose $100 already, I don't know why or what's the reason of it. Maybe I feel like I'm entitled to win? If that is the case what should I do? Any mind set that I should have?

I usually play aggressive and most of the time I know when to bluff, but when I play now I play tight and when I do that I feel like every villain I'm against with in a pot have the nuts and I just end up folding and when I try to bluff it just doesn't work. I feel like I'm just not confidence enough to play my own style. I really need your help or thoughts guys. Thank you!

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sometimes it is necessary to take breaks in the game . I now is the time don't know how much time it takes once I feel that I'm in shape I will start playing

ssory83

ssory83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would only like to add a few words. That is, the fact that sometimes we earn a lot of money, we pause, and after we reappear. But it can also be a lot of money, let's have less money. depends on luck. :)

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a break in the cash games and
play in tournaments, this is the best way to rest and not lose money in the cash game, in tournaments you too will have a chance to win money, and you will not lose much in tournaments!

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, I play online cash game and I made a lot of winnings, turned $20 into $400 in 3 weeks and after taking the money in cash and taking a break for a week, I feel like I play really bad and I lose $100 already, I don't know why or what's the reason of it. Maybe I feel like I'm entitled to win? If that is the case what should I do? Any mind set that I should have?

I usually play aggressive and most of the time I know when to bluff, but when I play now I play tight and when I do that I feel like every villain I'm against with in a pot have the nuts and I just end up folding and when I try to bluff it just doesn't work. I feel like I'm just not confidence enough to play my own style. I really need your help or thoughts guys. Thank you!

First of all i want to ask something essential: Are you sure, that you have a proper bankroll Management Strategy, if you are already lose $100 of your $400 BR? Maybe it's time step back and start playing lower limits, until you have a stable +BB/100 stat over thousands hands? It's great, that you made your $20 to $400 in just three weeks, but how many hands it were? Are you so confident, that it wasn't just an upstreak? Did you played enough hands to say "Yes i beat my limit and i'm confident where i am playing!"? Many players do this mistake, as you rightly said "Maybe I feel like I'm entitled to win?". No you're not. And nobody is. That's why a proper Bankroll Management is an essential thing. You need a big distance, where you constantly play with +BB/100 to say, that you can afford to step forward and give a try on a higher limit. Especially with cash games you shall be very careful, as the money flows very quickly over there.
In addition, i want to remind you to keep an eye on yourself, that you are not tilt playing and that you are playing your A-Game. If you have a feeling you don't. Close your tables instantly before next Big Blind. Better if you take time at that point and analyze your hands, where you are loosing and think about, how could you play that hand better.
Another most common mistake, that many players do - putting a villain on a specific hand (pretty often it could accomplish nuts). This is wrong. You should start putting on a range, not on a specific hand, then it's more likely, that you guess it right and your decisions post flop will be more accurate and easier.
And as i said, if you think that downswing makes your style worse and you tighten up yourself and lose at too many spots, because of lack of aggression, it only means you are playing too high limits, where you are not very confident at. Go at lower limits and grind them, until you get your confidence back and start winning again. Then you could say, okay i try to come back higher and try continue playing, as i did before. Let's see how it work this time. If you know what i mean.

M

matnautico

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is normal. I just lost 600 dollars the other day and played 2 days no stop to make it back lol It's normal to tilt some but the key is to not let affect your game.

nyjah0

nyjah0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all i want to ask something essential: Are you sure, that you have a proper Bankroll Management Strategy, if you are already lose $100 of your $400 BR? Maybe it's time step back and start playing lower limits, until you have a stable +BB/100 stat over thousands hands? It's great, that you made your $20 to $400 in just three weeks, but how many hands it were? Are you so confident, that it wasn't just an upstreak? Did you played enough hands to say "Yes i beat my limit and i'm confident where i am playing!"? Many players do this mistake, as you rightly said "Maybe I feel like I'm entitled to win?". No you're not. And nobody is. That's why a proper Bankroll Management is an essential thing. You need a big distance, where you constantly play with +BB/100 to say, that you can afford to step forward and give a try on a higher limit. Especially with cash games you shall be very careful, as the money flows very quickly over there.
In addition, i want to remind you to keep an eye on yourself, that you are not tilt playing and that you are playing your A-Game. If you have a feeling you don't. Close your tables instantly before next Big Blind. Better if you take time at that point and analyze your hands, where you are loosing and think about, how could you play that hand better.
Another most common mistake, that many players do - putting a villain on a specific hand (pretty often it could accomplish nuts). This is wrong. You should start putting on a range, not on a specific hand, then it's more likely, that you guess it right and your decisions post flop will be more accurate and easier.
And as i said, if you think that downswing makes your style worse and you tighten up yourself and lose at too many spots, because of lack of aggression, it only means you are playing too high limits, where you are not very confident at. Go at lower limits and grind them, until you get your confidence back and start winning again. Then you could say, okay i try to come back higher and try continue playing, as i did before. Let's see how it work this time. If you know what i mean.

Hi thank you for your thoughts, I had over 8000 hands 1 table in that 3 weeks and I'm playing in an online poker club which doesn't have many stakes to play in it only has a $0.5/$0.10, $0.30/$0.60 and a $0.50/$0.10, I usually play in $0.15/$0.30 stakes and that is where I manage to up my BR I'm assured that stakes doesn't affect my play since I also sometimes play in a bigger stakes and I can hang with them pretty well, I agree and you regained some of poker fundamentals by putting them in range rather than thinking they got the nuts every time they raise or re-raise you.

I'm also aware on myself on what I was doing wrong I just don't know how to stop it, I think my problem is not about my play but the mindset that affect my play, I never really did cash out before a big money like $400, I'm only 19 and it was my first time having that amount of money, so when I decided to cash it all I realize how much is the value of the money I have. Because when I started to win I never really did value the money I'm having, I only value them as a chips and I play them as good as I can, but now after taking a week break of poker, I realize the value of chips I'm playing, I feel like now I'm playing with a scared money on my stack and that affect and costs my play.

Edit: Oh yeah BR management probably affected my play as well, since one downswing could take a dramatic lost on my BR, but since there is only a limited stakes on where I play, I could only hope for the best that I can up my BR until I can have a proper management on the stakes that I play.

Last edited:
Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Maybe you have tilt. You think you should always win, but it's not. Think about it, review your game.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well just to realize that it happens to every player to take a seat, will move you from being alone, like you may feel, into the group of players it happens to. At that point is time to find out what to do when it happens, and you will face it many times if you continue to play, and you will probably feel the same as you did the first time, because it seems we question our game first and roll in it a day or two or even more if it was a total lose of a BR, before we go back to the what to do when it happen.

So what do we need to do during a downswing. Maybe the first thing to learn is what BRM is, how it works, and why we need a good plan of use if we plan to save out BR's so we can have the funds to continue to play the game we love, and not have to make deposits after ever downswing we face. That could add up to an eye popping amount if you think about it. BRM is really simple to understand, and it doesn't take others to make a plan for you, you put it together and go by it. To go up and down with your buyins as your BR does is the whole idea, but making yourself stand by your BRM plan no matter is what make it work, you make it work.

You said a lot in this tread that has many points of different things you feel, some that concerns your play, a picture of you finding out that how you play today may not work the next, you question why and that you want and needing an answer, you mention one thing that is a big topic in poker, and it is deep study if you plan to use it in your game daily. bluffing is not a good thing to even use in your early play. It will only cost you money. And that's final if you are going to take the advice that we know works from long term play and the study that will prove it.

The rest I want to break into those smaller parts and we can try to cover them

nyjah0

nyjah0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks to the comments, I've played after writing this post.

I think I regained some of the fundamentals I missed after taking a week break, I do read my opponent play style now rather than focusing on my play, and I adjust to my play when I'm against them and I also play now on position.

I can't believe I forgot those things after just taking a 1 week break.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm in a downswing right now myself. I wondered if I was starting to play too loose, and needed to tighten up more. Just for fun I tried playing a few thousand Zoom poker hands with different styles. I found that if I waited for good starting hands vis-a-vis my position, I waited a very long time, and when I did get the odd one, more often than not they failed. I made money, but only because of bluffing. In essence, I would usually end up better off if I didn't look at my cards at all.

Yesterday was an anomaly. I played in the CC freeroll and actually got good cards that did win. I haven't had that kind of experience in months. It's so much easier to play tight when you actually do get cards and they actually do hold up.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Glad to hear that your mindset is better. Believe me, that 50% of the battle won. And from want I have read, I know you will change this and that around some and find you groove. But seriously do the ground work along with the play and it will make you game full. I hit a 2 day run about 10 days ago that every thing I did could not miss and load my BR really fast, and I know those don't come around very often. But when it was over, I swear that I sit for one hour at a time, without seeing a hand that I would bet a penny on. So whatever blinds and very few calls I made to do something, was what I left each time. And I was doing it at GP and SB at the same time with the same things going on. I'm not sure, that within my 16 years of play, if I ever seen that happen before.

MattRyder, I take it that you like to play a lot of hands. I'm a tight player, and from what I see flopped, the cards I don't play, are the losers, so at least I don't have to kick myself very often for mucking winners. And just like you said, playing tight makes for waiting.

God those CC freerolls of old brings back many different thoughts, even if I will swear that I can't remember the last hand I played, much less years ago, but the feeling of winning your first CC freeroll can't be forgot.

Oh I have to keep my unwritten profile here in tact with reminders that what many know, not just believe, that I'm really crazy is still true since the last time I went to get, the opinion of one that really needs help, and he thinks it's hid. LOL. I've had me some real fun here with what I can get a laugh from, and I know I have got on some nerves because I keep it up.

Ok I'm done.