Does what you eat affect how you play?

samircyber9

samircyber9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just read an article in which Vanessa Rousso claims you can't be a good player if you eat too many carbs...or don't get enough protein

This struck me as total sh*t. It's a game of cards. And besides, she looks like a horse in need of a good carrot...so what does she know?

But are there certain foods that help your brain (eg, Omega 3 rich salmon) which might sharpen up your play, especially during long tournaments? Or is it all ****?

afecho

afecho

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
What I'm eating only affects my playing if it's messy enough that I slop on my computer while playing lol. Can't say I've been conscious enough about what I eat to notice any difference but I'm sure there's notable science behind specific foods.

D

dannixo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is probably legitimate as proper nutrition/diet does indeed improve your physical/mental abilities... however it probably makes like a 1% difference (if not even less) on the felt at the end of the day lol so I wouldn't worry about it.. just make sure your diet isn't completely garbage so you stay slightly sharper.. cheers

018smitty

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Never even crossed my mind about nutrition for poker. I imagine if your really grinding it would. Not for me as a rec player though.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Because I do not play big tournaments or big cash games I do not care too much about food. But food which is fat can be a problem because you could feel tired.

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
when I eat more caloric dishes I feel sleepy!

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think yes, in any sport you need to eat healthy to be always concentrated and have a lucid mind to play in the best way, the bad eating habits will make you not feel like playing, and also you will feel tired very often and you can not have a long and profitable session, that's why although it seems unimportant are always small factors that make a difference to be a great player wing.

willjosp

willjosp

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Snack

As much as it is a sport or activity of thinking and making decisions as a competitive player, we must eat proteins, amino acids, vitamins and rest enough, that is why I recommend bringing a snack to provide these elements when playing. :D

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It doesn't affect me what I eat, maybe some but I don't have problems like that; I'm not saying it wouldn't be possible:)

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everything that Vanessa writes is complete nonsense in my opinion. A poker player is not an athlete who needs a diet and proper nutrition. The main thing is not to drink alcohol.

X

XsMALsX

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally think that healthy food would help to concentrate and be better...

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all
Personally, I never thought about food as right or wrong, I always ate what I wanted and didn’t eat when I had no appetite, and for a productive game during a long session I drink strong tea, tea does not make me smarter, just cheerful self presentation.

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my case, food does not affect my game, although in general I follow a healthy diet. The only thing that can affect my game is probably hunger. If I'm hungry I'm impatient.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It may depend on age but I can tell you that Jonathon Little is adamant about this as am I.

In my case at 57 food especially high carbs spikes my insulin and makes me sleepy. Coffee and Caffeine do not help or reverse this.

If you are young you may not feel this (it never effected me until my 50s) but to say its complete shit is to only look at it from your own perspective.

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what you eat affects everything..eventually.. :)

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe this is not a correct question. You can eat whatever you want. Maybe if you will eat only junkfood, for sure it can effect a little bit, just cause you feel not so good cause of that. But if you eating just a normal food as a normal person everything will be fine.
I also believe it,s better not to play, if you are hungry. This can effect, just because you will feel not so comfortable during the game.
Just eat something and play in comfortable situation.

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What I can tell you is this:

Don't eat a gas station burrito before playing! :D