Does This Poker Variation Exist?

P

phoonsawadoam

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So I was thinking if there's this variation of poker. Basically you play like texas holdem but no community cards. During the first round each player are dealt 2 cards and who ever call or bet will receive a third card. This process continue until everyone fold or showdown their 5 cards.

Bricxjo

Bricxjo

Just some happy guy
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
yup, that's 5 card stud.

Here's the sequence:

All players ante
Each player is dealt one card face down and one face up, and there is a betting round.
Each player still in the hand is dealt a third card face up. There is a second betting round.
Each player still in the hand is dealt a fourth card face up. Third betting round.
Each player still in the hand is dealt a fifth and card face up. Fourth betting round.
Players still in the hand show their cards and the best five-card hand wins.

I could have it a bit off, but that is how I last played it in a home game.

Last edited:
sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good poker discipline.It is a pity that few people play it.Including me.I don't want to delve into it yet, to be honest-I would like to understand Hold'em).

P

phoonsawadoam

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yup, that's 5 card stud.

Here's the sequence:

All players ante
Each player is dealt one card face down and one face up, and there is a betting round.
Each player still in the hand is dealt a third card face up. There is a second betting round.
Each player still in the hand is dealt a fourth card face up. Third betting round.
Each player still in the hand is dealt a fifth and card face up. Fourth betting round.
Players still in the hand show their cards and the best five-card hand wins.

I could have it a bit off, but that is how I last played it in a home game.
How about all of the cards are face down?

Bricxjo

Bricxjo

Just some happy guy
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
How about all of the cards are face down?
Maybe you are thinking of 5 card draw, but it doesn't have as many betting stages. Players ante, receive 5 cards face down. bet. Discard unwanted cards and get replacement cards face down. bet. and showdown.

I suppose if you want many betting stages, you would go with triple draw, but you are not likely to find a game.

If you are looking for a really interesting variant, I like badugi. Occasionally we have some events here at CardsChat that include badugi, like the decathlon event. I try to play badugi every chance I can, which isn't often. Here is a link to the CardsChat page explaining badugi:

https://www.cardschat.com/badugi.php

I would play a monthly pokerstars home game of some of the unusual variants if some people were interested. :icon_sunn

Last edited: