Does level of play really increase much in higher sit n gos?

X

Xavier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have recently been playing $5 and $10 sit n gos and don't notice much difference between the two.
I want to build up my bankroll a little more before I switch to higher ones, but I was wondering if the $20 and $50 sit n gos are actually really any harder to beat than the $10 ones, at which I am making a consistent profit.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes, most over 30 tend to attract mostly regulars, depending on what time of the day you play on.. sometimes its like 8 regulars and one fish, pretty hard.. i dont notice too much differance from the 5 and 10.. just differant regulars.. depends a lot on what time you play... if its prime time in america, its usually tougher, prime time in say italy or somewhere like that where poker is just starting then the games are easier

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
but even the 50's are beatable id say you get maybe 2 fish.. depending just a bit harder obv with bankroll..

B

bmfbpi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what i've noticed is that even at higher level sitngo's the same applies : in the beginning the fish will go broke, things start to even out in the middle of the tournament, and then towards the end it gets a bit harder because most of the guys that last that long know what they're talkin about

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah but theres not as many fish, so ROI decreases

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't play above $11's yet so can't give you advice based on experience. But from what I hear - the competition will definitely get harder as you move up.

But with that said I watched a video of a $109 sng the other day and there were 2 people on that table who had no clue how to play a sng. I am anxious to watch more to get a better overall judgement but it was encouraging lol.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah, generally there will be 2 fish sometimes only one, my friend plays in the higher buy in SNG they are pretty tough

Gamble1996

Gamble1996

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some of the players in the $50 SnG are super tight !! Even folding JJ,QQ , I would rather play mid/high stakes than Micro SnG's , where you have people shoving with 7 2 !!!!! I kid you not!!!!

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
they are super tight for a reason, so that they can use their sound icm skills later on. theres pretty much only one way to play a sng correctly and you cant really veer too much away from that, its kinda robotic sometimes..

Tonky666

Tonky666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i play some $22 lol dominate from start to finish,but cash tables ruin me,the $20$30 limit not hard...

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play mostly $5.50 and $11s and see absolutely no difference between the two(as far as level of play). I've also watched(sweated) someone who playing the $30 and $50 games and I did see peole making the same donkish plays. I think it was a $50 game and hero had KK villian 3bet and called AI w/his 42s. The guy I sweat says the $50 level is where he sees some really good players though. But there still is enough bad players to make the moneyz.

EthanVK

EthanVK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the higher buy-ins are tougher to win because 7 or 8 players are playing super tight with the blinds low. But once the blinds start getting really high, it basically turns in to who has the best luck when people start pre-flop shoving every play.

ukaliks

ukaliks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't play above $11's yet so can't give you advice based on experience. But from what I hear - the competition will definitely get harder as you move up.

But with that said I watched a video of a $109 sng the other day and there were 2 people on that table who had no clue how to play a sng. I am anxious to watch more to get a better overall judgement but it was encouraging lol.

It'll b rich kids using daddys credit card to play poker and sit down on the $109 tables and play like a fiiiiiish hehe.

Pbland

Pbland

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've definitely noticed better play at the >$20 sngs. There are still some people who are extremely aggressive at the higher tables, but mostly it's tight, aggressive players. If you can exploit the extremely aggressive players, you can do well at the higher levels.

SystEmsuX

SystEmsuX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've definitely noticed better play at the >$20 sngs. There are still some people who are extremely aggressive at the higher tables, but mostly it's tight, aggressive players. If you can exploit the extremely aggressive players, you can do well at the higher levels.
+1. I don't regularly play SNGs, but based on what I've read elsewhere it's my understanding that once you go above $20 buyins things get tough--a very noticeable difference in difficulty.

rcrocketman

rcrocketman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The $10's are generally better players than the $5's. (i have statistical proof over a large sample size). It does depend upon the time of day and the day of the week that you are playing. Typically during the mid-day hours (est) you'll find a higher percentage of good players on the $10's compared to the $5's.
The $6's have better players than the $10's, and the $11 turbos have much better players than both (the $11 turbo players seem much more knowledgeable than the reg. $20's).
Think about where the young SNG grinders are playing, the guys who are multi-tabling SNGs regularly. On Stars you will find alot of them playing the $16's, on Fulltilt the $11's and then on the $33's the majority of the table are very good players.

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The fish are just richer. Not as many maybe but they're there.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The $10's are generally better players than the $5's. (i have statistical proof over a large sample size). It does depend upon the time of day and the day of the week that you are playing. Typically during the mid-day hours (est) you'll find a higher percentage of good players on the $10's compared to the $5's.
The $6's have better players than the $10's, and the $11 turbos have much better players than both (the $11 turbo players seem much more knowledgeable than the reg. $20's).
Think about where the young SNG grinders are playing, the guys who are multi-tabling SNGs regularly. On Stars you will find alot of them playing the $16's, on Fulltilt the $11's and then on the $33's the majority of the table are very good players.

to extend on this, lower staked buy ins on pokerstars you will find more sharks, as they rake is lower tahn full tilt.. and the higher buy ins on full tilt you will find more regulars as the rake is better at the higher levels on tilt.

you wont find as many good players on the 10+1 full tilt, most play the 15+1 on stars

peacebrother

peacebrother

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the 16.00 18 mans are really not much better than the 6.50 . Turbo is the way to go. 3.40 18 mans are super soft.

W

whatafarse

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been playing online since 2002, when to me playing a 10 dollar sit n go on partypoker was huge, and now i regularly play anywhere between 20-100 sit n gos. I will tell you this, you arent gonna see much difference in play. Honestly, people who are bad are bad. bad players still hav emoney and play over 10 dollar sit n gos. dont worry, i bet if u had the roll and werent afraid, u could sit at a 100 sit n go, and it would feel the same as a 10

LaMinaccia

LaMinaccia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No matter what level you play there will always be a few fish on the table but more in smaller levels of course, don't forget there are ppl out there that have money to burn and want to try poker on line without a clue.

Try and stick to your game and hope the donks don't take your cash.

flipflops_n_shades

flipflops_n_shades

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have noticed a slight difference but nothing that would be an appreciable difference among talent levels.

goborage

goborage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$60 9man SnGs are full of breakeven rakeback pros. A 5% ROI would be crushing at this stake.

goborage

goborage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^ So yes, the games get harder beyond $10.

brianvoytek

brianvoytek

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive played a very $50 SNGs and the comp is better and not many fish. Love it better then the micros where they call anything because its a buck. Its a bit tougher but If you stick to ABC Poker you should cash most of the time. :)