Do You Think There Is a "Correct" Way to Play Poker?

K

Kehzi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recently watched a poker educational series which showcased an experiment where they ran the exact same hand across several differnt tables with different players.

The hand was dealt exactly the same but played out very differntly due to the specific players at the table and the decisions they ended up making.

So what do you think? Do you think there is always a "right" or "correct" decision in poker based on EV; or is there room for creativity, innovation and different playstyles?

S

seraxel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's super situational. You can maximize short term profit by being too serious and driving the players who stand to give the most profit from your game. Or you can sacrifice some immediate edge to keep the game good, longer. Where that line lies is constantly moving. Not enough players pay attention to it.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even the different players mean the situation is not the same whose style may make you play differently. But no, I do not think there is one strategy. Many will play many different hands the same way but some will play the same hand different ways. You could argue if it is +ev it is correct but them the correct play may not always win but you can try and apply the correct theory as best you can and play the way that would ideally generate the most profit.

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The right way to play is one where you can study and play according to your bankroll. Respecting some basic game rules and always trying to read and study the game as much as possible, I believe you are playing poker the right way.

darthjewel

darthjewel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The 'correct' way of playing poker is adjusting your strategy to the opponents, their play, speed of the game and few other factors.

The only exception is when you play multiple tables then you have no time to 'study rivals' but use the same strategy across all the tables.

magister1

magister1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The answer is always "it depends."

Now, if the tables all had the exact same players with same player types and position then there would be an optimal strategy for sure. But different tables, different players, you just have to read the room and adjust.

L

lolshovaments

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no "right way" to play poker. But many ways to play it wrong, for sure.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there are several correct ways to play poker and not just one. Everything will depend on the context of the plays that are taking place at the time of the game.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there isn’t a correct way to play, you always need to make adjustments that depends of your the style of your table/opponent.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For any situation in poker, there will be an optimum - that is the way to play that hand that provides the most value. EV is the best way to measure the average expected outcome, given a bunch of different choices. This is cumbersome, but this tells us the answer.

The challenge is to be able to do a sufficient amount of study, so that we have looked at as many of these situations as we can mentally manage in our tiny little brains. There are an incredibly large amount of specific situations when we consider our image, our opponent style, stack sizes, positions, and finally, our cards and the board.

The correct way to play is to understand and interpret all of these variables and make the best decision you can. No one said poker was easy.

Good luck and God bless.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In my opinion, poker is as exact as chess. So, yes Sir! Between all the opitions of movies to do in a hand, the best option possible to act is there.

M

MimiMLZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Optimal game

For now, I don't think there is an "optimal game". Poker is constantly changing all over the years. Some old styles of play are not adaptable to today's game. And, for sure, the game will always evolve. But in a more or less far future, may be they will find the "optimal game". And that day, poker won't be the same anymore.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
In poker, each player plays as he sees fit. Personally, I prefer a patient and disciplined game, so I have good results and my bankroll is growing. Of course it all depends on the situation but in general I never play with junk and I think that my game is the right game of poker.
Good luck.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No. I don't think there is a correct way to play. There are however sound strategies and balanced ranges. Studying the game and figuring out the best spots to bluff or when to value bet are proven to be profitable.

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

if there is a way to reach the objectives !!! skill, confidence and also luck play an important role

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Right choice, the chips moving toward you and the wrong decision is watching them move away. Even A A could be a fold to keep as few as possible from leaving your stack. There isn't always a correct choice but a well informed one, taking all available information and making a choice.

At times with pot odds, you're making the correct choice but not with the results. Always room for "creativity, innovation and different playstyles", but the bigger question, was right time to try it.

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
The word would be: Adapt.

Based on these studies, you can get a standard play, but the right thing to do would be to adapt to the opponent, or so I think.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I have never been a player who played poker as it is written in the book, I like to play with chance, I respect some of the basic rules of the game but I like surprises, the game is more interesting in my opinion.

A

Auswa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me I play tournaments. Some play tournaments to make the most money. That might mean folding to enter the money, taking deals, trying to ladder up and finish higher to make more money. I always play to win the tournament so I will take risks and risk busting out in 7th in order to try and finish first. If i didn't play like that I might finish 4th easily but I take risks to be number 1 at the end of the tournament.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that only the right way to play can increase our bankroll in the long run. Over the last two years, my bankroll has only grown, so I think I'm playing the right poker.