Do you think poker has the same effect on people as a drug?

mariuspoker1

mariuspoker1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What do you think folks? Does poker has the same effect on people as a drug? I mean once you start playing it aand like it you can't stop playing. For me i think had that effect.How about you?

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you think folks? Does poker has the same effect on people as a drug? I mean once you start playing it aand like it you can't stop playing. For me i think had that effect.How about you?
certainly. for me already the lack of play as a lack of an important fragment in life.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think poker has only a positive impact on people.
I believe that poker develops valuable discipline skills and patience.

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends a lot on each person. For example, there're people who have a genetic predisposition and/or an emotional more likely to play compulsively. If that person plays poker for money, can actually become a compulsive gambler, but very few people are harmed in this regard 'cause of poker. But yes, certain people can be harmed by it...

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had one of those, but only in the beginning. Then it passed and I grew cold to poker so that I began to play it only when I had free time, not putting off other things for later. In General, the idea of the best option - a schedule or schedule for the game.

ClickPoker

ClickPoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, the emotions that are experienced in poker make one segregate adrenaline and we can become addicted to that kind of emotion

G

GReMILLA

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ну на каждого человека по разному. Есть разные люди, кто то азартный человек а кто то нет. Для азартного человека будет как наркотик.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ну на каждого человека по разному. Есть разные люди, кто то азартный человек а кто то нет. Для азартного человека будет как наркотик.
friend hello
this is a forum in English.

HypnoT0AD

HypnoT0AD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it does, you only need to monitor heartrate and adrenaline levels in the body to see that is has similar effects to a stimulant.

Everbane

Everbane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I first started playing poker I was like delirious thinking only about poker was falling asleep with thoughts of poker waking up with thoughts of poker and so on.. To be honest, I was terribly enraged.. Well that this passed=)

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thats different things, i think one is psycologic, and the other is real drug, differents things.

MrSkinny

MrSkinny

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker has only a positive impact on people.

I wish this were true, there'd be no tilt!

I believe that poker develops valuable discipline skills and patience.

It is certainly a fantastic exercise of discipline if you play it that way.

Do you think poker has the same effect on people as a drug?

If you play poker as anything other than purely statistics you're engaging a kind of a emotional/gambling mindset (read: competitive). That bangs out a load of endorphins, which is a great way of becoming addicted to anything. As reference I refer you to the hot sauce thread! :)

HFA

Joshua_Kane

Joshua_Kane

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips

I’ve heard that making money has the same affect on the brain as cocaine. In that sense, winning at poker would have the same affect on the brain as cocaine, so playing poker would be like taking a drug. If you’re winning of course.

Kingpoetmusic

Kingpoetmusic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I play poker my brain is relieved. I like the sensation of starting a game especially if the pot is a good one. After I win a big hand I feel a rush of adrenaline and feel good after winning a big hand in a big tournament. In a sense playing poker is kind of like using a drug because you can never get enough playing in.

Deniskin89

Deniskin89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker for a chance people would like a drug. Thank God that not a gambler, and at any time can stop.

P

patfreed

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anything fun or exciting is a drug. Your brain chemistry changes in very similar ways.

kratos

kratos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think so.Poker is adictive.The emotions inside of the players like adrenaline,can be hazardous to people with hearts problem.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wish this were true, there'd be no tilt!

It is certainly a fantastic exercise of discipline if you play it that way.

HFA

It will be positive for someone; tilt for my opponent is easy chips for me:D

Agree: controlling nerves is a good exercise.

neiroob

neiroob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, this is exactly about me, I really love poker, it's better than any drug.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anything that excites you and make your brain and body to synthesize adrenaline and other similar chemicals can become addictive. There is a term for that - adrenaline junkie. Regarding poker it very much depends how you treat it. If it is just a fun hobby for you or a professional job where you don't put too much emotions you will be ok. If you allow it to take your life and dictate your actions it means that you are addicted and poker for you is just like alcohol and drugs for other people having similar problems.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe someone is dependent on the game, but if you play and win and make a profit all the time, I think that's fine, but if a player constantly loses a lot of money and continues so for a long time and he thinks that he can once win something it's , bad, I play only when I have free time to play, I can at any time make a rest from the game and I do not have a strong dependence on the game, I play for fun and for me it's good when I win somewhere and get a profit bankroll !!

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it really depends on the person. For me there are games that I consider a lot more fun like Starcraft or more intellectually challenging like Chess.

However, poker has one thing that these other games don't have going for them, a lot of easy money. So while I do have a deep passion for the game of poker, I would not say I am addicted to it.

I am addicted to the easy money that it brings. And the ability to live my life the way I want to because of that.

B

Brawo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends, you can be addicted to everything, it depends how strong is your mind, of course it can be. Why people often thinks poker is gambling? That's why

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I do not think so, at any time you can block your access to the game !!! rather as a habit of "bad or good" is up to you !!!

R

RounderRob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh yeh.. Especially live Cash Games. Very exhilarating. The High from the Adrenaline rush you get from winning a big hand/raking a nice pot. Same as jumping out of a plane. lol