Do you think poker is more about skills, luck, or intelligence?

NiallPlays

NiallPlays

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think it’s a combination of all three as sometimes bad players get very lucky..I say sometimes lol but yes I think all three are very much needed

UngureanuDan

UngureanuDan

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I think is a game that combines elements of skill, luck, and intelligence. A skilled player will make better decisions and be more successful in the long run, but luck can also play a significant role in the short term. Additionally, having a strong understanding of the game and being able to read opponents is important for making good decisions at the table, which is a measure of intelligence. Combination of all three.

69ouroboros69

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PH
Chips
It's everything but I wouldn't rely on luck that much.

Baurzhan11

Baurzhan11

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
for me, poker requires luck and intelligence and skills, all of which come together

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a little bit of everything. The pack of cards is mixed, no one can tell me that everything depends on the positions and all that. Luck is where it matters most.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It's more about RNG , skill to manipulate RNG , then it's skill to play with the odds or yo play the players and their gamestyle or decisions , and last I would put luck. If you are a novice player , luck is first for you , that is what you think .......

J

James2023

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Its more psychological then anything and having a deep understanding of the odds/percentages. Knowing your enemy and being able to tell what they're holding based upon their hand history, bet sizing and physical tells. This helps determine whether you trap them or fold. You can use sharkscope to find statistic out on every player but I think its considered cheating... I wouldn't recommend it.... maybe just to see your own stats and see where you need to improve or how you should represent yourself at a table with potential spys that think they know how you operate....but they don't. Poker is just a giant game or spy vs spy to be honest. You get what you put into it.

paddyswarrior

paddyswarrior

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Skill, Patience & Luck

All in that order ... If you can master that then your well on your way

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
luck synonymous with patience since the beginning of the tournament it must be practiced patience to catch a good hand and be patient if you lose your hand, have patience to come with some good cards and play your hand again

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If one were to really break it down. It's a game of luck, chance...and bluffing

In that order.

Some people take a short cut, they don't want to calculate their chances, and instead bluff every hand, hoping to catch a bit of luck....no doubt that it's profitable. But it comes with risk ...so, we call them gamblers!

The gambler is open to being manipulated too...it's what makes Poker so fascinating.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think in poker the main thing is luck, if you have it, it doesn't matter what cards you have in your hand.:)

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
You need all three

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me discipline is the most important quality of a successful poker player. If you don't have discipline to follow a bankroll management, it's almost impossible to have success in the long run no matter how good you are.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
In my opinion, skill will always be more important than luck. A skill player will always have an advantage in the long run.
Good luck.

DiazPoker3101

DiazPoker3101

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
For me the most important thing is skill, since more than luck it is variance that makes poker complex, if you have a solid game sooner or later the moment will come where you win and the variance adjusts

Poker Tells