Do you play poker when you are stressed?

The Monkey

The Monkey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you find that it is a good stress reliever, or do you experience more stress from playing?

I myself try not to play poker when I am stressed because I find that I am more likely to make decisions I will regret in the long run at the poker table under these conditions.

A fox 666

A fox 666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I sit down to play (tournament or session, it doesn’t matter), I disconnect from all domestic problems. There is only one poker in my head! Stress is fading into the background.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you find that it is a good stress reliever, or do you experience more stress from playing?

I myself try not to play poker when I am stressed because I find that I am more likely to make decisions I will regret in the long run at the poker table under these conditions.

I 100% agree with you. While I do enjoy playing poker and it brings me lots of joy and fun, if I am playing for any meaningful money I will only played with a clear head when my tasks in real life have been taken care of.

Poker at meaningful stakes puts stress on our system whenever we face big decisions, if we are already depleted from other stressors we will end up making emotional instead of rational decisions. So it's best to keep your stress batteries charged up before firing up the tables :)

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not good idea to play poker when you are stressed. Even if you play freerolls or micro games you can much more easily tilt than in normal situation and that is never good.

throughstruggle

throughstruggle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Not. I feel stressed when I play poker. :D

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Poker is a hobby for me, and I think it is a great opportunity to get distracted and have fun. But if I am too emotional or upset, I just do not start the game.
Good luck.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When stressed, I recommend a physical activity that can get you into flow. Also, I recommend a good philosophy book. :)

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only play when I'm motivated and when I'm too braided at the start of the game. I speak to my unconscious and repeat the same sentence for several minutes. like for example "I am happy". it helps me relax and improves my concentration. on the other hand at the end of the game I always feel a lot of stress. because I know the variance is harder to beat. to manage this stress. I analyze the game of my opponents. even when I'm not in the spot. I also focus on my breathing.

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try not to play poker when I'm stressed, because you can ruin your game very much for a long time.

T

TheDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing poker can definitely cause stress but to start playing a game when you are already stressed is a very bad idea. If I'm not having a good day or feeling upset or stressed I avoid playing. It is best to only sit down to play when you have positive vibes. Your mentality is very important in the game of poker.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never, to me it is a waste of time to get involved with an MTT and invest time when there are other factors involved. Read something early on that influenced my choice when to play.

Looking to play when I'm mentally, physically and emotionally vested to the event. Nothing bothers more to be 4 to 5 hours into a tournament and loose focus or distraction from something negative that happened that day. Rather spend my time doing something else.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should definitely play poker when the water subsides. In no case can you play in the stress system. You must enjoy the game, otherwise, it loses any value.

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing Poker when stressed

I agree with some of the other posts that it is not the best idea to play poker online or in person while stressed out. As mentioned it tends to lead to pushing hands one might not usually play.

For me having a clear mind leads to the best results.

V

Vlad Nesterenko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m starting to understand that poker has recently brought me a lot of psychological disorder, stress, it’s very bad, because you don’t notice your mistakes and stress poorly analyze your game and that of your opponent

S

some39thing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try and not play when i am stressed, and even if i really want to, i force myself to take breaks

B

Brazenly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’be played a couple times for quite a lot whole being stressed to get my humor better, but it always will wnd badly on the end ):

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi there

actualy i play one game and if not ok i just leave until next day
there is always another day and game
rgds

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
For me, poker is a great stress reliever. I always get positive emotions and enjoyment of the game, regardless of the result.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I try to avoid playing poker when I'm stressed. I make too many bad decision when I'm not stressed.

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The most common reasons for stress at the poker table are frustration, which is the result of the fact that you do not succeed (for example, the last few bluffs you made were solved by opponents), or you are under pressure from other players (for example, your counter was twisted for the fourth time), or you do not get a card (for example, for the umpteenth time you can not close the draw).

All this will be enough to bring the player out of balance, emotions overshadow the mind, increase the level of adrenaline, which also will not allow you to properly focus on making the right decision, your body temperature may rise... All this will turn your head into a red-hot pot, which seems to soon burst from the extremely increased pressure.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I feel stress, I do not play poker, I just go to the bar and get drunk. And I also do not play poker when I am drunk.

S

Szachajevy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I play poker I forget everything negative its just me and poker. Poker healed me from anxiety disorder I think

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I sit down to play (tournament or session, it doesn’t matter), I disconnect from all domestic problems. There is only one poker in my head! Stress is fading into the background.

I live in Ukraine, where stress is a familiar condition and no one pays attention to it. If you mean stress as a reaction to defeats in poker, then I play for fun and at micro limits, so this does not affect me in any way. :puke:

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never play stressed, because in my case it leads me to make bad decisions in addition to not enjoying anything:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that involving stress into poker is a huge detractor. If I’m stressed before I need to clear my thoughts. If I can’t I avoid the playing. If I get stressed at the table I step away or stand up to relieve my stress. There’s too many variables to consider when playing and when emotions are involved mistakes are made. When mistakes are made you opponents profit