Do you make note of your Opponents?

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, notes are great for regulars or forum games. Being able to draw some information from past hands is an huge advantage.

M

mrwalleye

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
mentally i do if i see them on a table often

R

Ron112355

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Do you pay attention to the people you're playing against? Like if you've played against them before do you notice that you're playing against them again or does it not make a difference to you?

I used to always take notes until I got PT4 with that program it keeps notes automatically so no need. As a result I got lazy and payed less and less attention, now with some sites outlawing 3rd party software I am starting to train myself to get back in the habit again.

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you pay attention to the people you're playing against? Like if you've played against them before do you notice that you're playing against them again or does it not make a difference to you?

It makes all the difference my dear, you have a big advantage when you have information about your opponents and the scenario is even better if the opponent does not usually make notes from you.

M

moularaki

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I did at the beginning but right now i stoped because there is so many players that's very improbable that you play the player over and over

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually take notes if I think they have a characteristic of playing that differs from a normal player, something I can exploit or should be aware of.

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually write down the opponent's style of play. I pin him to a certain type.
I differentiate between these types:

Calling Station: Limpt or Called with a lot of hands preflop. Don't bluff against these players. Make value bets when you have a strong hand.

Maniac: He also plays a lot of hands, but he also plays these hands extremely aggressively. Be consistent with this type of player, either fold directly or call until the showdown. Slow play with a strong hand. Induce bluffs on this opponent.

Nit: Plays very tight. You can often bluff this player out. If he plays aggressively, he usually holds the nuts.

TAG: Play a few hands aggressively. You can also bluff against him from time to time. Rather, focus on the other players at the table. He is not your enemy.

LAG: Play a little more hands than the TAG but all of them aggressively. The same applies as for the TAG.

This allows you to give your opponent standard hand ranges and also adjust them. Which hands does he limp / call preflop and which hands do he open raise? With this you can better assess how you are standing with your hand against him and whether you should perhaps 3-bet him.

funkymoney

funkymoney

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i wanted to write down notes before and didn't know that many would do that after seeing the comments here. I used to play a lot on facebook texas holdem poker when facebook started and also played real cash on few poker sites. i am more into sports betting but now also started to give more time to poker. Hopefully i pickup good important stuff from pro players here

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends, I analyze some questions that can be considered fixed, but with care so as not to fall into an "illusion of certainties" (honestly it's not the part that most impacts my way of playing)

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
yes, the more information the better

M

martinf1971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't take notes I generally look for the LAG players and wait for a string hand against them

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I take a lot of notes on my opponents. Especially opponents that I see often. It’s very important to know the style and tendency you are facing. Certainly has made a hard call or fold easier. If I see a player has made a ridiculous shove or play on many occasions I am more likely to look them up in a key situation. It also allows me to trap or trick an opponent into making a mistake. If they shove on river often , or have a certain playbook I look to set that up.

Also, if they slow play monsters or are very tight and all of a sudden they have check raised all in on the river it’s much easier to fold a solid hand.

EmiTou

EmiTou

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I haven't been doing it for a long time, but I take note of players that I come across frequently in tournaments, it helps a lot to have those references.

W

woodeng

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do make notes especially when players are taking a long time to play -- that is how I pass the time is to make notes on the different players at the table. It has come in helpful at times and let's face it, any advantage you can get in the game is a win.

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
If I take notes from the players. I always pay close attention to the style of play they have, especially in the freerolls they organize from here ��

R

redsfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always take notes.To me its a great tool.It doesnt always work out,but over all its a big help.In a free roll,i want to know who shoves all in all the time,most of the time with nothing.I want to know for the most part who the tight players are,and for sure who the reckless players are.

A

AKbadboyAK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Goodnight friend ! I always make notes on them, this is very important as they play so it’s easier to make tough decisions against them

K

Kenorgcom

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I make notes to see how well opponents play, betting habits, if they win, and folds maybe I can spot a weakness.

PrOKatana

PrOKatana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Certainly, I personally write down absolutely each player, the more I know about the players, the more it helps me.

amorman

amorman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, of course, if you do not read your opponent, then you may not notice his bluff.:D

KidCarter93

KidCarter93

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm playing only on mobile at the moment so not able to take notes in the client. Although with the mobile App being more limiting it means that I generally only play 2 tables at once so am easily able to keep an eye on all the play and remember what players are doing. It's not as efficient as taking notes within the client but it does the job for now.

Once I'm back to using my laptop again then I will certainly back to making some notes again. Admittedly, moreso than actually taking notes, most of mine was done simply via labelling people. I'd make notes now and again but, for the most part, a simple label is enough. If someone's a nit, a maniac, a crusher, a loose bounty hunter etc, a label will distinguish them easily

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes, I make notes about the players. Usually, I make notes about opponents I often meet at the table. And quite often, my notes help me make the right decision. Without a doubt, notes are a very useful thing.

R

romamirr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Notes on opponents are an essential part of poker to play successfully. I put color marks on the players, statistics are also displayed in hand2note. The game becomes much easier when you know your opponent's playing style.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Never! I am interested in my style of play, maybe the opponent has a different mood and does not play the same way he did when I took notes about him.