Do you make note of your Opponents?

H

helenag

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you pay attention to the people you're playing against? Like if you've played against them before do you notice that you're playing against them again or does it not make a difference to you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you pay attention to the people you're playing against? Like if you've played against them before do you notice that you're playing against them again or does it not make a difference to you?
Yes, the more you know about a player, the more you know how to beat them.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a must for a successful poker game! Notice the way opponents play!

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No more... i m so tired... lose many times with AA, and they call allin wiyh 7 5... then.. i dont watch my opponent anymore

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I make notes to know who I am playing. I forget way too often if I do not play them for a while, so I let this be my way to know how to react.

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've met a lot of players that I've played against before. However, it seems to me that people often change their style of play. Therefore, it is not worth saying that these are players - "fish" or "aggressive". Therefore, the game is played differently each time.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that everyone who plays poker regularly takes notes on opponents. And the more experience, the more understanding of his game and ranges.

christmasscorpion

christmasscorpion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes I always watch how my opponents play so that in the future when I meet them again at the tables I know how to play with them to get more money from them than I could get and lose them as little money as possible than I could lose to them

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

yes, ofc, that matters

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can remember, and even then not all, only on our freerolls or put notes on the players. There is no point in big tournaments. There is a reason for cash games, since almost the same players go to these tables.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

For about two months now, I have been actively using notes about my opponents. Thanks to this information, I make optimal decisions and already have the best results. Undoubtedly, notes are a very useful tool that should be used.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I make lots and lots of notes. It's amazing how many people do the same things over and over.

Recently I had a note about a person that read "Very, very sticky with under-pairs". I assumed (correctly) that was the situation on a flop where I had a large over-pair. I shoved, she called (as expected and hoped for), then she made a set on the next card. Not the hoped for result, but the note allowed me to make an educated decision that was going to make me a tidy profit 90% of the time.

Another very simple one is: "Very Tight". Lots of players are very tight, but not all. So knowing exactly which ones are in advance of a play can be very helpful.

"Very Loose", "Shoves a lot", "Slowplays a lot", "Very sticky in blinds", "Limps w/ AA" - these are meaningful notes that can't always be easily gleaned from a HUD, assuming you even use one, which I usually don't.

Last edited:
MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can remember, and even then not all, only on our freerolls or put notes on the players. There is no point in big tournaments. There is a reason for cash games, since almost the same players go to these tables.
Actually, I find they are very useful in big tournaments. You may be at the same table for an hour or two (or more). That's not enough time to gather statistically reliable data but it is plenty of time to take note of a particular player's recent actions.

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i take notes on many players
it helps a lot

B

bidearm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes sometimes i do remember them and this is good because then i have an idea of their style of play and how they conduct themselves in the different positions

T

tamara822

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It helps a lot when I have notes for players, although it is impossible to have them for everyone. I don't need a note for certain players, I know well how they play. :)

T

Trestivo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is certainly one of the most important things, especially on sites without hud.

4kingwildo

4kingwildo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't do a lot of them, cause play different rooms and preferer turbo or hyper-turbo mtt

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to do that when I used to play regularly the same tournaments and the same stakes of cash games and it was useful. Nowadays, I rarely take notes because I don’t have the same regularity that I used to have.

C

Chel_nv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to sit down and pay attention to the opponent,because any information is useful to understand what style and strategy he can play and with what cards if it comes to showdown. Analyzing its various actions, for example, with bets.

H

Hanskanns

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I never made notes and rather try to be patient how the opponents play, but this post made me reconsider. In freerolls - especially in the beginning - the effort of notes does not seem worth it, I assume.
It would be helpful to make notes using the poker App itself and have pre-installed options to choose instead of typing on a smartphone.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I often make notes about the players. This is a convenient and informative way to store important information that often helps me make the right decisions.

M

maxmaster10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i always do!..with 5 colours red ( fish) purple ( maniac) light blue ( nit) yellow ( mah, reg) green ( good reg) orange ( legendary)

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes! I use color tags for generalized notes, for specific ones I used to take pretty long notes that I realized weren’t actually useful in-game (which should be the point).

Now, I make my notes succinct and not just based on a single “mistake” given that almost anything can be the reason for a single action. Also I don’t note things that stats easily tell me, such as a player having a high fold to steal %. I like things like “solid shove/fold ranges” which I would not when I see a reg routinely snap-calling me with the bottom of the correct range (which tends to indicate knowing their ranges very well) or a note like “plays end of rebuy period like a maniac” which clues me in to aspects of their play not fully identifiable by their stats.