Do you impart poker wisdom at the tables?

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm just wondering if you do or don't and what are your reasons.

As an example: you have 77k in chips, 1 EP player goes all-in for just over 4k, all folds to you in BB, at this point blinds are only 250/500 and you hold A4os.

I tank for a bit and think it's only costing me a small percentage to call so I call, villain turns over AJ, 4 on the flop and villain doesn't improve.

Another player then writes "Really?, A4os?, fish"

Do you say why you called or leave it be?

BTW, the above was an actual hand I played earlier today

jmjareno

jmjareno

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, I tell you, I do not say anything to the one who asked, because I'm not a Poker teacher, let alone a Poker professional, I'm just a player looking to increase my chips, we know it's not a good move Accept an all-in with A4, but there are enough reasons to do so, the first one is that the player with a 500 BB, has little time to flip a few good cards and is going to go all-in with middle cards, Small pairs, or with high cards with the possibility of pairing, or with Ace and a low card; Therefore, linking an Ace, I may have a chance to win. It is necessary to take into account and I do not know because you do not say it, if my A4 is of the same suit and how the player who is doing all-in has played, because if it is of the annoying ones that do it to bluff all the time or is Of those who just pick up a few more or less good characters throw themselves all-in, then they can not tell you "Fish", they can only say "thank you", I could name some other case, but in the end, what you want to know Is if I would say something to him that said "Fish", yes, I would say "Thank you" because in the end, I did it because I wanted to, and I had enough chips to do it! Maybe I even liked him and wanted to double his chips ... :) Sorry about my English, i´m very rusty and i help with Google Translator!

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Alien head is a mystery. It's hard to define genius or fish.

C

CardDead711

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No i would not respond to the player who called you fish. Let him think you are, and if you try and explain why you did what you did he probably won't understand anyways.
Regarding passing on poker information, it depends. If I'm playing against other normal players live or online then no, but if its a home game with friends, then maybe if its warranted or asked for. Its common to talk about previous hands with friends but not with strangers.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
On stars I just respond with a grin. If they get abusive responding with kisses usually sends them over the edge.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
As an example: you have 77k in chips, 1 EP player goes all-in for just over 4k, all folds to you in BB, at this point blinds are only 250/500 and you hold A4os.

I tank for a bit and think it's only costing me a small percentage to call so I call, villain turns over AJ, 4 on the flop and villain doesn't improve.

You don't mention antes, so you're getting 4,750 to 3,500 on this call. Basically, you need 43% or better to break-even on a call. It's not impossible that you have that much with A4o, but it's not a sure thing either. The fact that he's shoving from EP into the full table suggests he's at the higher end of his range and is more likely to hold a pair or an A-x hand. Against that range, you're only 36%. If he was shoving from the CO or BTN, after the table folded to him, I think the call is better.

In short, the call was pretty fishy. Sure, you have enough chips to take a -EV spot in the hopes of busting someone out. At an early time in the tournament, removing a single player doesn't always increase your equity much. The chips you stand to give away will mean a lot for the short-stacked player.

To answer the original question, I don't really talk about poker or poker strategy at the table. I like when other people try an talk strategy. It tells me a lot about how they play and how I can exploit them.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
Actually I don't pay much attention to what they say unless they are insulting me or someone else at the Table, in which case I do remember them in Cardschat we don't allow such behavior.

On the other hand I will like them to think I am a fish and sometimes I myself portray myself as one, by the time they see the shark, is too late! :)

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I wouldn't explain to him why I call , that's a sign of weakness plus there's no time to explain to everyone every move you make and this distracts you from the game (except if it was a friendly homegame ) , I would just say ''you are the fish'' and ''you are a nit player '' or sth like that :) .

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Unless I know someone at the table I do not chat with other players about strategy. The only time I would chat is to explain pleasantries
The less information they have on you the better. Also chatting is distracting you can easily loose focus on the table especially if the other players are rude and disrespectful.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't give any advice on the tables, someone taunts me I will taunt back but I don't explain my calls or moves in the game I am playing. As for a 3rd party making a statement like that I will play on that - I'd rather represent myself as a fish than a pro(as if I could lol).

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to keep any wisdom to myself since there is not enough to share. The only time I will engage these folks is if they are being rude while reminding the table of how good they are.

skavenger

skavenger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the call, it's the correct move in my opinion ... do not call the conversation at the table, play your game and do not pass information to anyone ... let him be the next to leave when being caught by his "4 male "

mammadduke

mammadduke

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I ignore mostly those comments unless I know the person.which I usually don't..