Do you follow the rules.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After have down loaded a poker coarse and learned the strategies do you actually follow it.
I have trouble with that. I do well on line when I follow strict rules of playing and of coarse I know better and start do deviate, not in small hands nooooo, in big hands that wipe out everything I had gained.

T_Dawg

T_Dawg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone can be their own worst enemy.

I can usually follow my own rules ~99% of the time.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with the exception of the universal written game rules, there is nothing that says you have to follow a specific strategy or play a certain way. i like watching strategy videos to expand my understand of how to play a hand/situation, but i wouldn't say i always follow it exactly. it just depends on the situation because a strategy from one player might not work, but a strategy from another player might. so, you have to figure what works best for you in a specific situation.

it's also good to find your own strategy as well, but use what you've learned to guide you. you're never going to play exactly like another person but if you're able to pull strategies from different types of players and use that to mold your own, you'll do a lot better. especially if you're playing to your own comfort level.

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
At the beginning when you are learning, you try to follow the rules and that everything works, however poker is a mental sport ... so then you realize that your psychology helps a lot to win big hands.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to be fond of saying that just because I don't play by the book does not meant that I haven't read it. I've read poker books and watched strategy videos, and I've actually learned quite a bit from watching WPT tourneys and listening to Mike Sexton's commentary. The most crucial thing that I have learned from all of it is how other's think about and play the game. So while I may not necessarily play by the book, knowing what's in it allows me to take advantage other's who do.

tehb1987

tehb1987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Each hand is unique. Each opponent is a new strategy. Rules are binding. You need to think deeper. The basics of Yes can be gleaned from sources of information. Everything else is just practice.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
After have down loaded a poker coarse and learned the strategies do you actually follow it.
I have trouble with that. I do well on line when I follow strict rules of playing and of coarse I know better and start do deviate, not in small hands nooooo, in big hands that wipe out everything I had gained.

Perfect clickbait title for a rebellious deviant like me... :laugh:

Slightly disappointed not to give my opinions of social commentary and express my proclivity to push unnecessarily restrictive boundaries and play hopscotch with loopholes, but alas, here we are...

Back to the actual topic...

Everything is relative, i.e. circumstance dependent, so while sometimes you might make an executive decision to overlook a certain strategic 'rule', it is important to be aware of it in the first place and, understand why it is there.

If we are going to veto a tried and tested method in a particular instance, it should probably be for a logical reason..

If you are breaking rules purely due to a lack of self discipline, it'll more than likely negatively effect your EV in the long run.

Regards.

Galmedic

Galmedic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you get emotional about loosing there’s a thing that happens. You become much easier to beat. So just take a break

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in poker to win you have to be rigorous and disciplined. you must follow the basic rules of your strategy and not stray from it. at the moment I have a lot of trouble following this rule and playing my A game. probably because of the stress of the quarantine and for other personal reasons.

I

ios

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Perfect clickbait title for a rebellious deviant like me... :laugh:

Slightly disappointed not to give my opinions of social commentary and express my proclivity to push unnecessarily restrictive boundaries and play hopscotch with loopholes, but alas, here we are...

Regards.

Lol, that was my first thought too :) Clickbait really good :D
But in case of topic... no, I don't follow rules. I like that psychological aspect of poker and being unpredictable is bread and butter imo. But if you dont follow rules, its important, to know why are you doing this and to know the rules :)

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

I have been playing poker for over 10 years. I can confidently tell you that your discipline and your patience directly affect your results. Therefore, if you want to make money, always follow the rules.

S

Sebarios59

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always follow the rules to the letter until I stop following them ... because I already know them and understand them and because I try to set my own rules and chart the path to follow always trying to differentiate myself from others.

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yes, I have read several poker books and studied poker online courses. There are all sorts of strategies, and I continue to learn from all of them. Unfortunately, I have trouble remembering what I've learned - at my age, remembering anything is a challenge.
In short, I try to follow the strategies I've studied and re-studied, and re-re-studied because, in the long run, they do work.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Off and on..

Live and cash games, I can follow the rules, I keep my focus. Online MTT, following the rules, comes and goes. If I'm grinding, hanging on, you have to follow the rules, or you're out of the tourney. In tourney, if I have one of the bigger stacks, I'm on a roll, the rules do not apply, play super loose, easy way to lose quickly.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
After going through a course or reading a new poker strategy book or YouTube video series you should try and incorporate some of the techniques into your game. But I wouldn't suggest changing your entire game and retool everything by strictly following some new rules that you just learned.

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that it is not necessary to follow the canons and rules of the game without deviating from them. These are just instructions for your journey. You must find your game within the framework of knowledge. Practice, look for your game. Engage your logic.

A

Alexkaria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally have never read any books about poker. No, I do not adhere to any strategies when playing poker. I play for my pleasure and I am sure that increasingly depends on good luck!

olewerkrd

olewerkrd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know the general rules and principles. But I try to build my game on my own wave, and often everything turns out to win even breaking the rules. Just do not have the patience in long tournaments, if I play for a long time then I start to make mistakes and go to imprudent rudeness, although sometimes you just have to wait and everything will be fine)))
Good for everyone!)

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the beginning it is difficult to always apply the new things that you learn. Sometimes you get distracted and start playing as you normally do without applying the new knowledge. You need to play frequently enough so that this knowledge becomes integral part of your game and you apply it automatically.

Poker Rules - Poker Games