Do You Ever...

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you ever look for a game at your regular buy in, see nothing and then play at a lower level just for fun? I just did, and although I face more fish and the competition is easier, I face more fish and it becomes harder to navigate the waters of unpredictably.

What is your experience with dropping dowon to lower limits for a session or two?

:evil:Zer0:evil:

G

Gr34tWh1t3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The moment I drop to lower limits I end up playing for play money;)
since I am only playing cents games lol.

DomGov

DomGov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It could be that you're bluffing too much in the lower-limit games, no one folds in those. This would be the #1 most common mistake for freerolls until $11 or so tournaments.

(Unless you mean Cash, but, essentially the same until 100NL)

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my experience in the lower levels it is very difficult to play because of the amount of fish there is. They bet, raise and pay even if they have nothing and in one of those times they get the game they are looking for and we end up with several bad beats because of this. In the higher levels I think that the players are more aware and can develop better a game strategy and play more quiet

Robin Moura

Robin Moura

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you ever look for a game at your regular buy in, see nothing and then play at a lower level just for fun? I just did, and although I face more fish and the competition is easier, I face more fish and it becomes harder to navigate the waters of unpredictably.

What is your experience with dropping dowon to lower limits for a session or two?

You can not limit yourself to the chances that sometimes surprise us

S

Slip_Me_Aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I think when you drop down to a lower level you have to adjust your game accordingly. Obviously players ranges will be wider and people will care less about their decisions as you play for less money. I think it is extremely important you understand this and make adjustments to your game to benefit on this as much as possible. If everyone is playing wider then you play a little tighter and get maximum value for your hands. But I think you are right in the sense it can be harder to play against these players especially when you are used to playing at a certain level.

jamie Smith

jamie Smith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest fear is that, however much i want to succeed at Micro stakes, I fear I am never going to be able to build a substantial BR due to the amount of fish and variable situations people will get into, ,,... Im just hoping that once getting close to the money the variable factors will slowely reduce. Am i right or barking up the wrong tree?

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My biggest fear is that, however much i want to succeed at Micro stakes, I fear I am never going to be able to build a substantial BR due to the amount of fish and variable situations people will get into, ,,... Im just hoping that once getting close to the money the variable factors will slowely reduce. Am i right or barking up the wrong tree?

Not sure the variable factor should be a concern. You will be in more hands that skilled players might fold, but you should have a larger percentage to win the hand at the lower stakes. Would say the key is being a bigger favorite to win the pot. You then only contend with variance, but in the long term that should even out.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Boredom is dangerous in poker.

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
In my experience in the lower levels it is very difficult to play because of the amount of fish there is. They bet, raise and pay even if they have nothing and in one of those times they get the game they are looking for and we end up with several bad beats because of this. In the higher levels I think that the players are more aware and can develop better a game strategy and play more quiet

I find it very interesting that poker players complain about getting too many fish at lower limit tables. As a poker player I WANT WEAK PLAYERS at my table? Why would I look to sit down at a table with 'pros', who would be much better than me? Give me all the fish and let me reel them in. When six or more players see the flop, you know that most of them are putting dead money into that pot. Go in with them and take that dead money. Will you win most of the pots. NO. But, if you play smart, over many sessions, the fish will be contributing to your bankroll.

P

PuntinHundies

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, its hard to play at lower limits if you are a good player. Low limit players are generally unbluffable calling stations, and therefore you simply have to play very strong hands and have them hold up to the river. Try never bluffing, and value betting small unless you have the stone cold nuts.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

This is an interesting question. "Do you ever look for a game at your regular buy in, see nothing and then play at a lower level just for fun?" I generally "have fun" anytime I play poker at ANY level. That being said there is always a game available at my "regular buy in" At this time I'm playing 100NL and $15 tournaments. I play with 30 buy ins for Cash and 200 buy ins for tournaments. I am also doing a freeroll challenge right now as well, so that as you say would be a drop down from my normal limits. I'm not doing the challenge "for fun" or because I'm bored. I'm doing it because the lessons that come from this is going to be like nothing else I have ever tried. I will learn patience, the value of a dollar, how to better play against lower level thinkers. I will take away much more than the thousand that I'm working towards, but more lessons about my game, and myself as a whole. I face different types of opponents in freerolls and have to adjust my game from the way I play at my normal limits. I like the fact that the fields are softer, and it's easier on me mentally than the normal games I play.
"I just did, and although I face more fish and the competition is easier, I face more fish and it becomes harder to navigate the waters of unpredictably." See I don't agree with this. If it is becoming harder to "navigate the waters of unpredictability" for you then there might be a leak in your game that you are unaware of. If you are breaking down your opponents tendencies and applying a proper range on your opponents then playing against these soft fields should be even more profitable. You're mostly playing against calling stations and Hyper aggressive players, which is a dream situation and unlimited dead money. If you are feeling like the waters are unpredictable then you simply have to have a hand. A few showdowns against even the worst players will give you the information needed to form a solid strategy to beat them.

Also, I have moved down multiple times from my normal stakes, always based upon better value for my dollar. Example: I was playing 100NL but noticed while skimming through the other tables in my lobby that there was a particularly weak table at 25NL I opened up another screen and played it on the side and ended up making more than I did in my 100NL session. Point being, if you are making a drop in stakes, have a good reason for it.

Some good reasons to drop would be.
1. A drop in bankroll that requires you to move down
2. Softer games at lower limits
3. Better value (especially in tournaments)

Bad reasons to drop in stakes
1. For fun
2. You're bored
3. You're tilting and feel like spewing for cheaper

PackinPat

PackinPat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Some good reasons to drop would be.
1. A drop in bankroll that requires you to move down
2. Softer games at lower limits
3. Better value (especially in tournaments)

1. For fun
2. You're bored

MemphisGrind

This makes a lot of sense 1 for fun (taking unnecessary risks
2 Your Bored ( see above)
3. You're tilting and feel like spewing for cheaper (see above above)

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope you have your bark on the right tree. The variance at the lower levels boggle me. Everytime I step down I always wonder why the Vilian played A4 against my raise, Bet and turn shot. Then he hits his 4 for two pair.....

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. For fun
2. You're bored
Point well taken.

By the way, what is your username, and on what sites?

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Building a bankroll at micro stakes requires patience and a solid foundation. You have a couple of options. First option is to figure out if you are a profitable player by using STRICT bank roll management. If you aren't turning a profit it's not because of the bad players it's because you have some work to do in your game.

Second option is if you can afford a poker budget like X amount every month, use that coupled with studying to improve your game. Use whatever money you have for your poker budget play it however you want if you lose it wait till next month and re-deposit. When you feel ready try again to follow strict bankroll management and turn a profit. 1 year intervals will give you honest feedback.

3rd option if you can't afford a budget per month is play freerolls until you reach $100 and play the lowest of stakes. You can learn a lot playing freerolls. You will get a very close feel at freerolls as to how a lot of micro-stakes players play. So if you're trying to beat micro-stakes learning how to profitably make it through freerolls will be helpful to you.

Whatever you do keep studying. Figure out your leaks, if you don't know what they are find some good friends that play with you and ask them nicely, some will tell you. Post hand analysis, video record your sessions, I bolded this because it will really help you see some mistakes you otherwise would have never noticed, understand the theory behind the game.

I noticed you also wrote you hope that once you get close to the money the variance will reduce. Yes and No. Yes, because GENERALLY the high variance players have busted by then, but No because any player is capable of playing any way at any given time. It's important to really pay attention to how the players are playing to understand when to stay away and when to attack. Good luck on your poker journey and I hope that you beat micro-stakes and make it to the next level soon!

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Point well taken.

By the way, what is your username, and on what sites?

I play on Bovada. I’m doing the freeroll challenge on ACR and Bet Online