Do u call a donkey a donkey, or do u let it slide

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've seen alot of ppl compliment donkish moves and I don't really get it myself, but I also have a tendancy to do the same thing, but for other reasons, so just wondering when u see a person do a really dumb ass move do u A)Compliment him/her B)Tell him his moves were donkish, and that he/she is a donkey, or C)Don't reply either way. As for me, I compliment the donkey just to get a reply and then bang I hit him/her with my favorite quote "I was kidding moron", or wtf are u doing pushing with that bunk retard or whatever I feell like at that moment, that usually gets them reved up at me, and then I wont let them go, unless they leave the table or are just transferred to a different table:D , that's me though, what about the rest of u's

I

Inscore77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never use the word donk, but I let people have it sometimes

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually say nice play sir or something smart like that, then they say ty and I will say yw but sometimes i tend to blow up at them lol

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont really chat that much, only time I really use it is if someone is getting on my nerves and I beat them

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mr.Sticker, sick blog, I loved it, how come no one ever told me about your blogs, damn sick ass article, I never really thought of it like that, but I'll try to shut my ass up, but damn I have a bad temper when an idiot gets rewarded and thinks they did the right move, call, or whatever, but I also see where your coming from also, once again ty for your blog sir

B

baby kahuna

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So tell me when you suck out do you yell at yourself? People who call people donkeys only give info about themselves. Show there weaknesses. You think you are really that good? WHat makes you think you dont make donkey moves? There is a table for you at the Bellagio if you dont think you do. THeres weak players and strong players. Poker is about making mistakes and trying to contain those mistakes. I dont care if people "donk" out on me. I chose this game. Let them come. I can just try to play the best I can. And good luck to you.

C

confuzd67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel that rewarding them with a somewhat sarcastic "NH but this site can be sick sometimes", is giving them an idea of my disdain towards their play or the way the cards are falling. All out nailing them, will usually help set-up the person who nails to get angrier if things are said that are as moronic as the initial play. More often than not I have seen the person who goes off calling the person a donk end up playing like a pissed of player and losing to shaky plays not long after.

Too many times a person is just trying a bluff at what turns out to be a good time and ends up with a hand that will beat yours. I feel that sitting back and waiting for the person to try this move again later, when I have a better chance to take him down is the best play.

Freaking out because of a bad play can be a good tell for players later, so why let them know you can be tilted.

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I normally never say anything. The only thing that annoys me is when some IDIOT who wasn't even in the hand says "nh" after an all in bad beat like 77 vs KK or something.

Actually that isn't true. The worst is when you have a [explicative] that always says "bye" after he raises with like T3o then calls a shove and knocks somebody out with AKs.

Last edited by a moderator:
zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sticker's right. They are handing you free money. Why would you ever either get them upset so they leave or actually make them get better? Just let them keep giving you money. Poker's a long-term game.

arkadiy

arkadiy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I might say "nh donk" some times or if they just get knocked out "bout time donk" but that is if I am really mad at someone :p

icemonkey9

icemonkey9

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're in a cash game, never ever insult someone's play. If anything, make them think you realize you "just got lucky" so that they take another poor run at you. This is old-school poker thinking where you "keep the sucker at the table" and not scare him away with sad-sack insults. But now in live play I see it all the time ... the obvious early 20s something kid that grew up without friends playing Halo 2 on easy mode "pwning it" and insults someone as soon as he wins 1 hand. Pathetic.

If someone drew out on you, curse at the monitor, swear at the ceiling fan, whatever. Don't let them know you might be steaming ... unless you aren't and you want them to think that you are which might be exploitable.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Ice, don't tap the tank. Donks are my bread and butter, so who cares if they luck out on me sometimes?

Taking obscene language and insults to the game will get u nowhere fast.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see the point in tapping the glass

G

glworden

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To beat the donk, you have to BE the donk.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Imo is this the most twisted statement i have seen in long time.
If your a good player and have a complete donk on your table u just wait and trap him. Easy money.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can think like a donk without "being" one. Anytime you can anticipate how your opponent will play, it helps. So in a way, I somewhat, sort of, kinda agree with the above statement.

"Just be the ball." - Ty Webb in "Caddyshack" ;)

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I get it, very Zen... Ommmm

Seriously if he means think like a fish, then that is true, sort of not thinking at all, a no-mind, zennnn be with everything.

What is the sound of one donkey clapping?

Snowman1964

Snowman1964

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you feel uncomfortable about calling them a "Donk" try the alternative; call them a "Yang" or a "Gold", whichever way you look at it, it amounts to the same thing.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
K guys walks up to a zen hot dog vendor and sez 'make me one with everything.'

Gets his dog and hands the guy a 5 and sez: 'where's my change?'

Hot dog guy sez: 'Change must come from within.'

Guess what I'm sayin is don't bring anger around the table, it will hurt u (to narutu mio), also in 'real' life.

MrMuckets

MrMuckets

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually don't say anything but on occasion i will say a very sarcastic nh. But some one in the thread mentioned that other players not in the hand will say nice hand. i think that stinks. It's up to the person who lost the chips to say nice hand in my opinion

N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think "donkey" is kind of overused. If you stop to think, donkey is just the polite way of saying jackass. IMHO a very good player is just as capable of being a jackass as a very bad or novice player. God knows I can be downright mule-headed at a table. I wouldn't say I'm very bad or a novice, but let's take me out of it for the moment and consider the pros we've all seen behave like absolute jackasses.

A donkey is one thing and a fish is another. A fish sucks out on you, and doesn't realize that's what he or she did. You say "nh" and they say "ty" because they really do think you meant it. Of course after the river it is a nh or at least a gh. A donkey on the other hand does the same thing a fish does but then thinks it makes them a kick-ass player and starts spouting crap like "I rock" or "Never try to bluff me"(which is of course unnecessary as you've just made a note of their being a calling station and stickied it to their avatar).

But taking it further, sometimes a donkey can be a really good player who stubbornly keeps playing his or her best and fanciest game at a table where it's not only overkill but bites them in the rear. The perfect bluff against someone who can't fold an ace even when a flush or str8 is very apparent to everyone at the table only serves to make you go on tilt. Problem is you realize it right after. You are being stubborn, and yes, a donkey. Donkeys are notoriously stubborn creatures.

I'm sorry for the bad grammar. Just know that when I say you I also mean "I" or possibly "we".

nuts422

nuts422

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played a satellite for Full Tilt Points today where an idiot went all in almost every hand. He continued to get lucky for a while and developed a sizable chip lead. Now, being a little pizzed off after a couple of bad beats in a cash game. So we let him have it. Tard. Donk. Moron. Whatever.

I should probably take a break from poker.

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sort of a subject change but ill tell ya what really grinds my gears, and im starting to see this alot. Some guy wins a whole lot of chips of someone else usally with the worst hand pre-flop and says ty when they win. This and people thinking that their A high gives them the devine right to win.

I mean come on whats happening to the game, the other day I was the BB and was delt 76os just me and sb in the hand flop comes out 722 rainbow so sb bets 90 chips I thought well is cheap enough to call so a 7 comes up and cut the story short my full house wins. The guy (from south dakota) says your kind would have been shot back in the day!!!!! Of course he was talking Deadwood. I was unaware that wild bill got shot for making a full house says I, and he told me good luck on cashing(i did he didnt btw).

The point im making and I said the same to him is I take my beats good or bad like a man. I feel sorry for these people in the real world what happens when things hit the fan if they cannot take a beat a game and a micro one at that.